PEAX Equipment

How many is too many . . . .

How many firearms (handguns, rifles, shotguns) owned by a person to be properly labelled crazy?

• 1-9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-24

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • 25-49

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • 50-99

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • 100-199

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • 200-300

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 300+

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • There is no such thing as too many

Votes: 56 65.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t understand the people who say “guns are for keeping, not selling”. I’ve heard it from more than a few people, typically in regards to the ones they have and never use, but for some odd reason won’t sell.

At a few hundred to a few thousand a piece, to consider selling a non-starter is absolutely insane to me.

Worked with a guy who inherited a pile of guns that had no interest in using but wouldn't sell them either. They were pretty modern hunting rifles and shotguns of his dads.
That sounds like a problem. I almost wanted to say, if you haven’t shot a gun in 2yrs, you should probably get rid of it. That kind of goes for just about anything, but keeping a gun for a zombie apocalypse isn’t a good sign of mental health. If you enjoy shooting it, great. This is part of the American gun mentality. Having a handgun for home protection is perfectly fine to me, but if you haven’t practiced with it, what is the point?

That sounds like a problem. I almost wanted to say, if you haven’t shot a gun in 2yrs, you should probably get rid of it. That kind of goes for just about anything, but keeping a gun for a zombie apocalypse isn’t a good sign of mental health. If you enjoy shooting it, great. This is part of the American gun mentality. Having a handgun for home protection is perfectly fine to me, but if you haven’t practiced with it, what is the point?
I don't know how that's a problem especially if it's an heirloom. I've got a few of my uncles guns haven't shot them in years. Probably won't either just not on my list of things to do at the moment, sure as hell doesn't mean I shouldn't have them. I could pick any one of them up tomorrow and shoot it proficiently..I don't know how not shooting a gun in your safe in twenty four months could prevent you from being proficient with it.

Last edited:
I don't know how that's a problem especially if it's an heirloom. I've got a few of my uncles guns haven't shot them in years. Probably won't either just not on my list of things to do at the moment, sure as hell doesn't mean I shoukdnt have them. I could pick any one of them up tomorrow and shoot in proficiently..I don't know how not shooting a gun in your safe in twenty four months could prevent you from being proficient with it.
If you consider it an heirloom then I exclude it. Is it just the guns or is the hammer and screwdriver set your uncle gave you is also considered an heirloom? To each their own.

I have seen people who shoot a gun all the time not be proficient with it. Yeah, they shouldn’t own more than a dozen guns if they can’t use them. Similarly they shouldn’t own a chainsaw if they don’t know how to use it. I’m sure that im out on an island on this one. Pretty comfortable there. 😉

YOu tell me. Do I have a problem? I have to confess that the handguns hanging on the back of the safe door aren't shown, and there is the odd gun scattered about the house/shop and another safe (small) with a handful or two of mostly junk like a singleshot 20 gauge, an AR, and I forget what else. Another one or two are in the mails, and maybe one in negotiation, but these are the most of them. So, you tell me, do I have a problem? (Do I want to know the answer to that?)...
:)

View attachment 315945
Can you or @shrapnel please adopt me? I’ll clean all the guns and help you carry them to the range.

Interesting and I tend to wander from side to side on this. Get there in. I’m weed then think I’m an idiot and sell a bunch and go on a few hunts. Then the off season rolls in and I’m back to buying.

I don't know how that's a problem especially if it's an heirloom. I've got a few of my uncles guns haven't shot them in years. Probably won't either just not on my list of things to do at the moment, sure as hell doesn't mean I shoukdnt have them. I could pick any one of them up tomorrow and shoot in proficiently..I don't know how not shooting a gun in your safe in twenty four months could prevent you from being proficient with it.
I'd agree. Not every year do I hunt a weapons restriction area. But sometimes it's nice to hit one that's close. Just because I don't hunt it every year doesn't mean I'm gonna drop the slug gun out of the safe. My grandfather's rifles etc..

I don't know if you wanna sell and trade do it, but if you want them to hang onto I don't see anything wrong with that either.

I don't even consider myself as having alot but I'd have to grab atleast 1 a month to make the 24 month quota. I'd have to count to know exactly how many I have

I am definitely one of the acquirers that does not sell lol. I don't see any reason to sell them. Even when I want a new one I have never traded or sold a gun. I don't buy often I dont think. Some were given as gifts and some I bought, but selling them just doesn't come to mind. I don't consider myself a collector though.

I consider my grandfather a collector. He collects old Winchesters usually pre 1900. He has a ton.. Alot of those rifles haven't been fired in probably close to 80-100 years. I know alot haven't been fired since he's owned them and he started his collection 60ish years ago when he got out of the military.

I'd say it's really pretty quick to aquire 15 20.. then I think when you get old like my grandpa and even my uncles that they got more money when their kids left the house. More you start collecting more.

Last edited:
I'd agree. Not every year do I hunt a weapons restriction area. But sometimes it's nice to hit one that's close. Just because I don't hunt it every year doesn't mean I'm gonna drop the slug gun out of the safe. My grandfather's rifles etc..

I don't know if you wanna sell and trade do it, but if you want them to hang onto I don't see anything wrong with that either.

I don't even consider myself as having alot but I'd have to grab atleast 1 a month to make the 24 month quota. I'd have to count to know exactly how many I have

I am definitely one of the acquirers that does not sell lol. I don't see any reason to sell them. Even when I want a new one I have never traded or sold a gun. I don't buy often I dont think. Some were given as gifts and some I bought, but selling them just doesn't come to mind. I don't consider myself a collector though.

I consider my grandfather a collector. He collects old Winchesters usually pre 1900. He has a ton.. Alot of those rifles haven't been fired in probably close to 80-100 years. I know alot haven't been fired since he's owned them and he started his collection 60ish years ago when he got out of the military.

I'd say it's really pretty quick to aquire 15 20.. then I think when you get old like my grandpa and even my uncles that they got more money when their kids left the house. up you start collecting more.
Yah I don't get it. I've got a .300wm sitting in the safe haven't shot it in a few years. We don't have a rifle season here and I haven't gone west in a few years other than pronghorn this past year. So I had no reason to shoot it especially at $50 a box so I guess I should have sold it between elk tags and then buy a new gun when I draw again 🤷‍♂️

I don't understand a big stash of guns. I don't need more guns. I need tags and gas.

Something in the 27-30 caliber range and 1 or 2 smaller ones for the range/varmints covers nearly everything. And yes a shotgun or 2 and a .22.

I'd rather just have ONE rifle for big game that is a high quality rifle and especially scope setup that I am very confident and proficient with (still have a ways to go). A backup gun as well I guess. A bunch of OK guns with OK scopes seems like a huge waste.

I know those are fighting words so let's hear it!

I don't understand a big stash of guns. I don't need more guns. I need tags and gas.

Something in the 27-30 caliber range and 1 or 2 smaller ones for the range/varmints covers nearly everything. And yes a shotgun or 2 and a .22.

I'd rather just have ONE rifle for big game that is a high quality rifle and especially scope setup that I am very confident and proficient with (still have a ways to go). A backup gun as well I guess. A bunch of OK guns with OK scopes seems like a huge waste.

I am more in line with your approach, but I have more than one hunting rifle. I have a number of different calibers to fit different hunting situations/species. Outside of that though, I don’t see the point in owning multiple versions of the same caliber.

Since when is how many guns a guy owns and hunting with them, mutually exclusive? I live in Montana because I like to hunt and shoot. I like guns because they are, in many ways, useable art.

When one gun becomes your reason to hunt, it is a tool. Because people use more than one gun to hunt, doesn’t mean they can’t or don’t hunt enough.

I don’t apply for permits in other states or have any desire to go to Africa, or any other outpost to shoot game. I can do it all year with plenty of opportunities without leaving the state.

I have always loved guns since I was a kid and haven’t lost that appetite. I shoot everything I own, other than a second Montana Centennial revolver that I have that is a consecutive serial number to the one I shoot.

Not going out of state or country doesn’t mean someone can’t hunt and enjoy guns, it is just a different way to participate in the grand scheme of both hunting and collecting.

What number is enough or considered too many? I haven’t found out yet…

I don’t think any amount makes one crazy….

But I think @BuzzH is on the right track. If your gun collection limits your ability to hunt or do other things it’s to much. If you can afford it why not!
Yep. The intent of these articles the OP posted about is clear, stigmatize gun ownership and create this false narrative that the “crazy gun owners are all stockpiling military arsenals”.

I don't think thats fighting words, all depends on what your priority is some guys like to shoot more than they like to hunt. Or collect or whatever. The thought that someone on either end of the spectrum should tell somebody how many they should seems stupid to me though.

I’ve a few scoped rifles that are much too nice to sit. Our son and SIL have all they need and unless something catches my eye that I can negotiate a fair trade for (cough, a Ruger Red Label) they’ll be checked for zero and functionality & ride the bench. The quandary is I’ve too many favorites & seem to always find myself declaring ‘one more then I’m done’.

I certainly don’t feel stigmatized by VGuy’s thread & don’t think that was his intention. Dan is a good poster, we’re fortunate he participates.

Last edited:
Since when is how many guns a guy owns and hunting with them, mutually exclusive? I live in Montana because I like to hunt and shoot. I like guns because they are, in many ways, useable art.

When one gun becomes your reason to hunt, it is a tool. Because people use more than one gun to hunt, doesn’t mean they can’t or don’t hunt enough.

I don’t apply for permits in other states or have any desire to go to Africa, or any other outpost to shoot game. I can do it all year with plenty of opportunities without leaving the state.

I have always loved guns since I was a kid and haven’t lost that appetite. I shoot everything I own, other than a second Montana Centennial revolver that I have that is a consecutive serial number to the one I shoot.

Not going out of state or country doesn’t mean someone can’t hunt and enjoy guns, it is just a different way to participate in the grand scheme of both hunting and collecting.

What number is enough or considered too many? I haven’t found out yet…
At this point in my life I'm in the camp of " I don't buy the gun if it prevents me from buying the tag or booking the hunt " but you've got an impressive gun collection and I sure can't fault you for enjoying that. I think there is plenty of room in the world for both camps. As I get older I may trend more towards a gun collection.

At this point in my life I'm in the camp of " I don't buy the gun if it prevents me from buying the tag or booking the hunt " but you've got an impressive gun collection and I sure can't fault you for enjoying that. I think there is plenty of room in the world for both camps. As I get older I may trend more towards a gun collection.
Guitars, how many is too many….

I have several different hammers in my garage- a very large maul, several claw hammers( I inherited a few) a large ball peen, a couple of dead blows, a few rubber mallets…

I really could use a brass hammer for special work.

We pulled out all of our firearms a few weeks ago and listed the serial numbers as well as a rough valuation.
My wife had nearly as many as me because of inheritance. This is just her pistol collection.
Kitchen pistol
Purse pistol
Plinking pistol,
inherited plinking pistol
Inherited plinking revolver
Inherited purse .22
A rejected purse gun that I spent $$ on but she decided she liked a more expensive one better.

I may have forgot one but it is good to have options.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back