How many days should I block off?

In my 3 experiences driving from back east to hunt antelope and deer in Wyoming, you need 1 hunting day for each antelope buck, and a half day for each doe, in a group of 3-4 people. Deer are highly variable, and you may or not see them in the same areas. I'd alot 3-5 days for your deer tag, depending on how hard you want to hunt and your standards for size and maturity. 9 hunting days should give you some cushion. Split up for the deer hunting.

To much depends on the unit.

By 8 am any heavy hit area will have multiple dead antelope and no live ones for the rest of the week. Goats will head for private land

May not be that way if public is big enough and not accessible by truck

To much depends on the unit.

By 8 am any heavy hit area will have multiple dead antelope and no live ones for the rest of the week. Goats will head for private land

May not be that way if public is big enough and not accessible by truck
This seems to be what many people are saying. We each have a point and are planning to enter the special.
Anyway, I have found a few units that offer a good amount of public or Walk-in. A few larger sections that look like no road access unless somebody is coming in from private drives.

This seems to be what many people are saying. We each have a point and are planning to enter the special.
Anyway, I have found a few units that offer a good amount of public or Walk-in. A few larger sections that look like no road access unless somebody is coming in from private drives.
People will drive in from the private on to general state or BLM.

Amen to that, I had a “95%” chance to draw a tag last year. Guess who was in the 5 percent who didn’t get a tag 🤣
oh no,
I am sorry to hear that. I know we will draw a tag somewhere, unless there is some major cuts in tags going down. I just have to look at the tag allotments for 2021 before I make the decision.

Not sure how far west in Wyoming you are planning to go, but you may need more than 3 days of driving. Been doing the drive to Montana for the last several years, coming from western NJ, and it takes about 2.5 days each way. Yes, that is with stopping at night to sleep, which in my view is essential for safety reasons and also to ensure that you wont be mentally destroyed from the get go of the hunt.
Stealthy.... one of these days we need to talk! I do the same drive, sometimes solo sometimes with a friend, and so far have always gone straight through. Getting older now (45) and the mental destruction and safety factor is becoming, shall we say, a thing. This year it looks like Idaho solo.. last year it took 36 hrs with a buddy. Not looking forward to it!

Back to the OP, with the time you budgeted, I would expect you will have ample time for the antelope
but to double up I would set my expectations at a decent antelope and any legal deer and not be surprised that the deer hunt requires a whole different approach. Make sure you have meat processing planned out, coolers setup with lots of ice, as it could take some time for
it all to come together, then a long drive home.

Stealthy.... one of these days we need to talk! I do the same drive, sometimes solo sometimes with a friend, and so far have always gone straight through. Getting older now (45) and the mental destruction and safety factor is becoming, shall we say, a thing. This year it looks like Idaho solo.. last year it took 36 hrs with a buddy. Not looking forward to it!

Back to the OP, with the time you budgeted, I would expect you will have ample time for the antelope
but to double up I would set my expectations at a decent antelope and any legal deer and not be surprised that the deer hunt requires a whole different approach. Make sure you have meat processing planned out, coolers setup with lots of ice, as it could take some time for
it all to come together, then a long drive home.
Bullshot,
This is one of my greatest concerns. I have a funny feeling one or two of us have an excellent chance at tagging out opening morning, but it could be awhile after that with spooky lopes and then of course, the deer.
I have been forum hopping to see opinions on how long you can keep meat in a cooler, as well as how long a cape will keep in a cooler or if I should just use local taxidermy and eat the cost of shipping a mount.
So much to think about. But planning it all just means You get to stay immersed in the hunt longer right? =)

you can keep meat in a cooler for a LONG time as long as you keep ice in there. Another path would be to use a local meat locker/butcher, you can usually hang in their cooler for a fee.

you can keep meat in a cooler for a LONG time as long as you keep ice in there. Another path would be to use a local meat locker/butcher, you can usually hang in their cooler for a fee.
Thank you Bob-WY. I appreciate the input on this.
I tried an experiment this year with the whitetail I shot in rifle. I totally deboned him and left the sealed bags of meat in the cooler with tons of ice for 9 days before wrapping steaks and what not.

All my ground and snack sticks came out completely fine. I have a hunch that one of my new hunting buddies nicked tarsal gland and then cut out the inner loins with the same knife because wow. Some parts of that inner loin tasted like straight up deer piss. Either way, I believe it was human error rather than leaving in the cooler too long. This was a rutting buck too. probably should have just ground most all of him for sausage and burger and all kinds of other treats but hey, I can never pass up a good loin. Best thing in the world.

I'd get there two days early drive and scout the unit and be prepared to get your goats the first day. As others have stated many of the bigger goats will be dead by noon on day 1 on the on easier to draw units or driven to private land and many times on day 3 there may not be many goats left on public. If you were hunting a higher point unit with less tags and hunters this is not as big of a factor but with low point units it's usually the scenario. Have fun and apply for doe tags to make the hunt last the week if you tag your buck early.

You might always consider going later in the season than opening day I did my first Wyoming antelope hunt in a low points unit during the opener and the first few days it was packed and most of the public land had tons of people on it by the end of the first week the majority of the people had gone and I had a successful hunt. After that I decided to go later in the seasons and enjoy it better.

You might always consider going later in the season than opening day I did my first Wyoming antelope hunt in a low points unit during the opener and the first few days it was packed and most of the public land had tons of people on it by the end of the first week the majority of the people had gone and I had a successful hunt. After that I decided to go later in the seasons and enjoy it better.
If I would be hunting a busy, zero or one point unit this what I would do.

You already got tons of good advice on here about hunting, so ill change topic to your drive out. You said -3days for driving. Is that total as in you’re thinking 1.5 days from PA to WY each way? Doable if very long days which really wont leave you with any daylight by the time you arrive on day two, so no point of rushing. So plan for 2 days each way.
not sure of exact dates you’re coming out as WY Antelope seasons vary and can be long. But if its later in The season when campgrounds are closed and you guys are trying to stay on a budget: save this KOA on you map. Its just about exact half way point from PA to WY. This KOA is open year-round and is easy peel off I80. ROCK ISLAND KOA in as you guessed Rock Island IL (I just used it both ways around holiday to limit Covid exposure and stay clear of hotels, to visit family in NY coming out from CO). Book online, pull in, go to your spot, pack up early and jump back on I80. Hope this helps.
And yes a week for Antelope is totally realistic. 2019 me and my BIL’s very first ever hunts were WY Antelope doe tags (2 tags each). We filled 2 first weekend and 2 more next weekend. So a day per Doe tag for very first hunt. I’d get that Deer tag if i were you. Good luck

Have fun and good luck. Its conceivable that you tag out sooner than expected. If you have some extra time just enjoy what WY is. I think a lot of people pull stakes as soon as they are "finished". I know I have done this, before. After the long drive out there it'd be a shame to just rush right back to the same old grind. All of Wyoming's varied landscapes are worth just chilling in for a day or two.

Good luck and safe driving.

Thanks for the advice everyone! My hope is that we can all tag out early and have a chance to explore more of Wyoming and just enjoy it. The only reason I planned on being able to drive right through is the fact that I will have 3 other guys with me. Planned on switching off every 3 or so hours to keep everybody fresh

If you want to take in the full experience without being rushed, and have the time and resources, take 2 weeks off and soak it all in, you won't regret it. Especially if you have a deer tag

We drive straight thru from coastal SC.
Draw your tags and then figure out what public you can access. Go early find goats then camp out on then so you can kill them the first morning. Openers in the low point units are a zoo. It seemed exponentially worse the last couple of years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back