How many days are your out of state elk/deer hunts

First trip.. I left Indiana on a Thursday night, got to Colorado Friday afternoon, scouted, shot a buck at 8 AM on Saturday (opener) and was home by Sunday afternoon.

Now I try to stretch my trips out longer. All that planning and anticipation, it's a shame when it's over in a flash like that.

Most trips I take one week, with a weekend on either side. Sometimes I do two weeks, like my Wyoming deer hunt coming up this year.

When my kids are older, I may burn all my PTO at once and go for a month. For now, I try to keep it to one trip per month from September-December, with an occasional spring bear hunt in May.

Usually plan 7 days of hunting for archery elk plus 2 days of travel time. Add a day if we happen to shoot one on the last day.

I always like to take the day off after I get home to clean and put away gear, clean the truck, and hopefully process meat.

That is my thinking as well. Planning on getting home on a Saturday and going back to work Monday.

I am trying to avoid thinking about how far behind I am going to be at work after taking two full weeks off. I put the over/under on the number of unread work emails that will require action at 200.

That is my thinking as well. Planning on getting home on a Saturday and going back to work Monday.

I am trying to avoid thinking about how far behind I am going to be at work after taking two full weeks off. I put the over/under on the number of unread work emails that will require action at 200.
I made the mistake once of planning my return from a hunt the sunday before leaving on a 3 day work trip. Made for a long night of cutting meat in order to get it done before I had to leave for the airport Monday AM.

if we take turns driving I can usually get my emails caught up on the ride home. Luckily I don’t get as many as you do!

My driving time soaks up 4 - 6 days (round trip) on any western hunt for us. I like to have at least 7 days of hunting time.

One out of state hunt planned this year, giving myself 12 days including travel, 6 hour drive to the hunting location. Plan to hunt the last 12 days of the 16 1/2 day season. Most likely take an easy day half-way through if needed, depending on weather.

One scouting session already done, spent four days in early July reacquainting myself with the area, and found a couple areas I had not been before that look incredible. Hope to get over there one more time in the dead season between archery and rifle here in Montana.

2 to get there & settle in, somewhat acclimate...4-5 for the hunt...usually 1 for return. 10-13 hr drive usually.

so many variables to answer that question for everyone. As a general statement though, if you work a typical 9-5 job Monday to Friday and the trip planned is over 8 hours away (basically meaning that leaving after work on Friday doesn't get you to your destination in a reasonable time ahead of Saturday morning) it makes the most sense to take off of work for a full week giving you actual hunt days from Sunday to Saturday - a full 7 days. Friday night/Saturday are traveling as is all day Sunday coming home.

Typically 9-10 days (incorporating 2 weekends) for my elk hunt, so I take about 5-6 days off work.

Typically 9-10 days (incorporating 2 weekends) for my elk hunt, so I take about 5-6 days off work.
This when I can...But when the season opens on a weekend it makes it tough to get the benefit of both weekends and just take a week off work. If I'm driving, just about everywhere in the Rockies is a 2 day drive with an overnight. So 9 days (5 days hunting) is the usual one hunt duration. I've done 2 weeks off in a row and hunted Wyoming and Oregon, but I was fortunate we didn't have to make and break camp.

Back