How long does it usually take to draw a goat tag?

I was under the impression there weren't any women in Alaska...
There are women in Alaska but finding one that doesn't look like an old billy goat will be the hard part. šŸ

My son is 32 years old now and has 13 bonus points for both desert bighorn and mtn goat here in NV. I have the same number of bonus points for those as well, but I'm 56. I started applying him when he was 18 and he has been applying since he was about 21. While I may never draw one of those tags while I can still climb those mountains where the goats live chances are good he will draw before he reaches my age. I may just have to hunt vicariously through him and be his camp cook.

Join the Rmga for all current members that haven't harvested a goat they have an opportunity to put in a draw for a fully outfitted bc goat hunt. The guy who actually won it last year is a member on here. It's a long shot but still a chance.

I hunted with Brian Peterson on Kodiak and was very happy with the hunt. You have to draw, but I pulled a tag the first time in the hat. Reasonable price and you are hunting Kodiak goats.

I hunted with Brian Peterson on Kodiak and was very happy with the hunt. You have to draw, but I pulled a tag the first time in the hat. Reasonable price and you are hunting Kodiak goats.
I did the same thing with Jake Jefferson. Hard to beat Kodiak for a goat hunt.

Um... no. HELL NO!

I've calculated the probability of me drawing an area 38 moose tag in the next 40 years under the current preference point system and under a random draw system. The probability under the preference point system is half of what it would be in a random draw system.
Based on 2018 numbers you have a 1 in 179 chance to draw area 38 if the moose drawing was all random. You're screwed either way.

I have been trying for a mountain goat tag for 22 years. When and if I draw one...I might be able to give you a better idea. Right now, in multiple states, I have only found a away for them to keep telling me ā€œNoā€. Itā€™s a long shot unless you want to pay 5-6k minimum. I donā€™t have the deep desire to hunt goats so just try as a by product of other draws and I know sheep are even longer shot.

Don't overlook the fundraiser raffle tags. CO has has 1 goat and 2 ram tags this year. Idaho's Ram raffle tag went to a Hunttalk member a few years ago and he killed a bomber ram. Your raffle odds can be better than the standard draws.

FYI, In a previous post I related that last year in the Nevada NR Desert Ram drawing one guy drew with 2pts, another with 5pts, another with 6 pts and another with 7 pts. These are all for NR Ram tags. Don't sell yourselves short. Just for perspective, I have 25 NR sheep pts in Nevada. Maybe this year. GJ
When is the Nevada deadline?

Ok so hereā€™s what Iā€™ve decided. Iā€™m gonna start applying for goat and sheep tags and also start saving for a guided hunt in the future. Iā€™ve analyzed my spending habits and realize if I cut out some useless stuff I can apply for tags and save for guided hunt. So with that being said what areas should I look to apply in and more importantly are there any areas I should avoid? Thanks for all the advice so far. I do appreciate it.

Don't overlook the fundraiser raffle tags. CO has has 1 goat and 2 ram tags this year. Idaho's Ram raffle tag went to a Hunttalk member a few years ago and he killed a bomber ram. Your raffle odds can be better than the standard draws.
Thanks! Where do I get in on these?

Ok so hereā€™s what Iā€™ve decided. Iā€™m gonna start applying for goat and sheep tags and also start saving for a guided hunt in the future. Iā€™ve analyzed my spending habits and realize if I cut out some useless stuff I can apply for tags and save for guided hunt. So with that being said what areas should I look to apply in and more importantly are there any areas I should avoid? Thanks for all the advice so far. I do appreciate it.
Montana and Idaho applications are due at the end of the month. Time to shit or get off the pot. ;)

Based on 2018 numbers you have a 1 in 179 chance to draw area 38 if the moose drawing was all random. You're screwed either way.

Sure, but if I apply for 40 years, the probability of drawing at least one of those years is 20%. I can live with that. But because some old farts (young ones too) feel entitled to a guaranteed tag, those odds are cut in half. When my kids are old enough to appreciate and enjoy a moose hunt, I'll apply where odds are better.

The trouble with applying for 40 years to an area with an 80% probability you wont draw:

1. You might be dead long before then.
2. Statistically, you still wont draw.
3. The moose population may not even be viable enough to hunt.
4. Tag numbers could crash.
5. The number of people applying could increase.

I would look at areas I could draw NOW, there are good moose in every unit in Wyoming. Hunting while you're young enough to do it right, and actually enjoy the experience trumps waiting until you're bald, fat, and feeble chasing a glory tag.

Half the people that draw those glory tags end up shooting a sub-par animal that they may have had the opportunity to take a couple of in their lifetime instead of waiting 20+ years.

I don't want to die with a single bonus/preference point and I want to hunt ASAP.

I don't want to die with a single bonus/preference point and I want to hunt ASAP.

I agree, but until my children are old enough to hunt big game with me, I apply to "big 3" units closer to home. I just use area 38 as a stark example of why point systems suck.

Back