Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How important is it?

The 185 CX has 992 ft-lbs of energy and 1554 fps at 800 yards.

The 230 gr ELDX has 1,639 ft-lbs of energy and 1,792 fps at 800 yards.

Yes, velocity and energy matter when hunting. I'm assuming this theoretical 800 yard shot to be at non living things.

That being said, I had an SST poke a hole right through a whitetail with no expansion. Wasn't much of a blood trail, but the deer only went 50-60 yards before it died. I'd argue shot placement is more important than energy/velocity.

That CX is about 600 FPS slower than I'd want min velocity for terminal performance. Velocity and bullet are what matter, energy and headstamp are just distractions.

The 185 CX has 992 ft-lbs of energy and 1554 fps at 800 yards.

The 230 gr ELDX has 1,639 ft-lbs of energy and 1,792 fps at 800 yards.

Yes, velocity and energy matter when hunting. I'm assuming this theoretical 800 yard shot to be at non living things.

That being said, I had an SST poke a hole right through a whitetail with no expansion. Wasn't much of a blood trail, but the deer only went 50-60 yards before it died. I'd argue shot placement is more important than energy/velocity.
This is why i favor weaker bullets like eldx/eldm.

1706041467383.png
Months ago I shot the 308 at the left target at 720 yards (24.5 inch barrel, hornady "black" 168 Amax 2700 fps 0.475 g1 BC) and the 300 prc (26 inch barrel, hornady precision hunter 212 0.663 BC 2900 fps). Wind was about 5-7 mph and picked up after the second 300 prc shot and I didnt change hold or wait for it to die. The white is 7" for reference. 3rd 308 round just missed to the right.... Looks like about 5-6" of wind difference which is comparable to calculated.

IMO energy matters about as much as what boots you are wearing for killing animals. A same weight and velocity fmj and ballistic tip are going to be at the same energy at some point in flight yet one is going to kill drastically better If you’ve ever done any killing with a high velocity 22 cal with a fragile bullet then you’d know why I think that. I’ve even seen a mule deer buck take a 35 grain bullet from a 204 ruger in the chest at 300 yards stumble 20 yards and tip right over. Ballistics calculator says that bullet at just over 400ft-lbs of energy.

IMO energy matters about as much as what boots you are wearing for killing animals. A same weight and velocity fmj and ballistic tip are going to be at the same energy at some point in flight yet one is going to kill drastically better If you’ve ever done any killing with a high velocity 22 cal with a fragile bullet then you’d know why I think that. I’ve even seen a mule deer buck take a 35 grain bullet from a 204 ruger in the chest at 300 yards stumble 20 yards and tip right over. Ballistics calculator says that bullet at just over 400ft-lbs of energy.
I'd tend to agree. Look at the archery world. 90 ft lbs of energy at 300fps with a 450gr arrow. Especially when half the broadheads have a tip as sharp as a broadhead. Energy doesn't really matter when the shot is in the right spot. The old adage of needing 1500 ft lbs of energy to kill an elk never made sense to me.

I'd tend to agree. Look at the archery world. 90 ft lbs of energy at 300fps with a 450gr arrow. Especially when half the broadheads have a tip as sharp as a broadhead. Energy doesn't really matter when the shot is in the right spot. The old adage of needing 1500 ft lbs of energy to kill an elk never made sense to me.
A minor distinction: momentum (mass x velocity) is a much better metric for nonexpanding projectiles, like an arrow tipped with a broadhead, than energy (mass x velocity squared).

If you're interested in shooting far, and not burning your barrel out trying to hit what you're shooting at, you have to know what it is. If you're shooting far a lot and want to have a good bullet that doesn't drift as much, you should consider higher BC options. If you enjoy shooting at and hitting rocks, targets, or whatever, extra far, then it's pretty damn important in knowing, picking a higher BC option to shoot, and using correctly as an input to your dope. If you never intend to shoot past 300 yards ever, it probably doesn't matter at all.
Are you shooting far? I think a poll on LRH showed most hunters never take a shot over 500 yards. Bc isn't a factor at that range. mtmuley

Are you shooting far? I think a poll on LRH showed most hunters never take a shot over 500 yards. Bc isn't a factor at that range. mtmuley
212 eldx, 220 round nose.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_155009_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_155009_Strelok Pro.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240123_155210_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_155210_Strelok Pro.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 20
Clicks is all it is. You ever killed an animal at 500 plus? mtmuley
Once. Deer at 550.

Would have had a huge bear if I was okay with the 308 at 600 but I wasn't because I wasn't sure of the wind across the draw and the retained velocity/energy transfer.

Still fun to shoot/practice at 700, 1000, etc. and BC is useful for that even if your not hunting.

What are you trying to uncover in your question or are you trying to make some point?
Just asking a question. Is BC your first criteria for choosing a bullet? Maybe should have posed the question in that manner. And if it is, do you take game at yardages where it makes a difference? mtmuley

It’s not a criteria at all for me personally- I am not a good enough marksman to shoot far enough at game for it to matter.

400 and in is the reality for me, and really should try to keep it 300 and in if I’m honest with myself.

Back