How far?

Wapiti23

Hello everyone. I have kind of a fun question to ask just to see how the answers very per individual. The question is: how far away from camp/the pickup do you guys walk in (not out) each day to get to your spot to hunt elk? Everyone's situation is different so I'm just curious.

My answer is typically about a mile and a half just to get to the spot before I really consider myself in the zone.

No farther than I have to. I'm old and worry about getting an animal out. Rather not shoot one than leave one lay!

I basically hunt when I leave the truck, even though my goal or zone to get into might be a mile or two in, elk wander and even in crowded units with hunters everywhere you always find tracks in the road somewhere from overnight. But for having 'spots' or 'zones' I want to be, I have some turn outs I park at and expect to find elk within a couple hundred yards of locking the truck, and another couple areas I'm two plus miles in before I ever find them or where I always find them in that area.

I think it depends on the unit and area. I have places where it's 3.5 miles to get to where I want to be. But in that same unit I have a super secret spot that is 1/4 mile from a very nice forest service road...everyone seems to hunt the other side of the unit and it rarely sees pressure. Some of the units have a lot more roads than others. I have no minimum. It just depends. As soon as I'm out of the truck I'm hunting.

Hunting right from the truck or camp. You never know where they might be. Bumping some on the walk in is not a good feeling.

Last years unit the elk were 1/2 mile as the crow flies from the truck. Due to private it was a 2-1/2 mile hike to get to them.
Before that the unit we hunted had elk as close to a mile from the truck but also hunted a spot that was 5 miles from the truck.

I never camp in the zone anymore & can have elk in camp all night still. I hunt as soon as I get out of the truck/tent now.
I used to pack in and all but just can't anymore.I still hunt alone,but want my meat out.
So usually my zone goal is 2 mi max now.
I'm lucky in where I live & options.

1 mile.. because that's as far as you can go on a 1x1 state section.. lol..

For me it varies, but I can't think of too many instances off the top off may head where I was in elk within a mile of any road.

Usually I go about 2 miles. On my last elk hunt first opening morning I got out of our RV and we started walking. We where walking to a spot about 2 miles away and we did not pay attention. Then I see 5 elk just runaway about 100 yards from our RV but it was to late to shoot. The closer the better but make sure while your walking to your spots be ready any moment.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back