How far will you take a shot?

camo308

So, with all this talk about number of cartridges, slings and bullet construction... How far of a shot will you take?

I wonder sometimes when hunters (if you want to call them hunters) go out and buy some high velocity - flat shooting rifle to shoot at animals at extreme distances. I'm talking about over 400 or 500 yards (and 500 is stretching it).
I always follow up any shot that I take at an big game animal and I won't take a shot at something I can't follow up to make sure I did or didn't hit it. I figure that if I can't get close enough to get a good percentage shot I need to find a way to get closer or pass it up. There are so many variables at long range that they are all a shot in the dark. I've passed up some nice bucks and bulls because they were too far or in a difficult place, but I feel better about myself than taking a 900 yard hail Mary shot.

Depends on conditions, but I prefer to not shoot over 300. I've only taken a handful of shots over 400 at game, never anything beyond 500.

I do practice out to 550 and that pretty much proves to me that it takes A LOT of practice and a lot of skill to consistantely hit game at that range. Also proves that I really dont have any business shooting that far.

Its easier for me to get closer than to have to spend hours and hours and hours at the range gaining confidence in LR shooting...much easier.

Nothing over 100 yards...

.... with my bow .. ;)

I like my shots under 300 yards. I'll take um out to 500, but don't like all the variables. there is Videos of guys shooting long range. I wouldn't fault someone shooting 800 yards if they had their gun dialed in. I think some peopel shoot better at 500 yards then others at 200 yards.

That all depends on what rifle I have.

7mm STW or 300 WBY, around 400 on deer, 500 on elk

.270 or .280, 350 on deer, 400 on elk

30-06, 300 on deer, 350 on elk

I recently shot a coues whitetail at about 400 yards and thought that it was a bit extreme for my liking. Those little bastards are hard to get up on though! Anything else (mule deer,elk) I would want a 300 yard shot max! I am a bowhunter, like alot of you are, and feel like I can be sneaky enough to close the gap to at least 200 yards for a clean rifle kill. Except on coues! LOL!

I guess 300 with my 300 Win Mag would be my max. I have never shot an Elk at over 200 yards and before I got a range finder I let a lot of Bulls walk. We just don't have the opportunity to stretch it out back east, so I know I am intimidated by long shots. 12 Gauge.....40 yards. John

Seems like there are lots of people that spend the time and practice the long range stuff, for me 400 yards is pretty much my limit. I've only had a few instances where I couldn't get closer for a shot. Just part of the game, what fun is it to kill everything you hunt?

Why is it sometimes we use or own limitations as the proper limitations for others. Now I have not put in the trigger time to be able to make the 900 yard shot, but I know plenty that can. With the right equiptment and right conditions 900 is not a hail mary for some. I know I am on the minority on this site, but I enjoy long range stuff.

Since I hunt with a bow as well as a rifle I feel that getting closer is part of the meaning of hunting. Shooters can take those long shots but they shouldn't try it "just to see if I can hit it". If you get closer you greatly improve your chances of hitting the animal where it counts. If you want to just hit something at 1000 yards try a metal silhouette that way if you miss the vitals you didn't waste someone else's trophy.

maybe because we can't use rifles in illinois, but hearing about 3,4, 500 yard shots just blows my mind. and 900? not even sure I could see an animal at those distances. bow hunt 99% of the time so that probably has something to do with it also.

300 yds for me. I don't put in enough time at the range to feel comfortable beyond that. FWIW, my Browning Stalker 7-08 still groups awesome at 300 yds. about 8" low w/ a 200yd zero using Federal factory ammo.

I feel goofy if I have to hold over the back of the critter.

With my bow...I would shoot out to 60 yds with a rangefinder and good conditions. I do put tons more practice time with the archery equipment however.

Why is it sometimes we use or own limitations as the proper limitations for others. Now I have not put in the trigger time to be able to make the 900 yard shot, but I know plenty that can. With the right equiptment and right conditions 900 is not a hail mary for some. I know I am on the minority on this site, but I enjoy long range stuff.

How lousy of a hunter are you if you can only get to 900 yards of a game animal. That is over a half mile away, and some joker thinks he is "hunting" if he gets within a 1/2 mile of an animal?

If you can't get within a 1/2 mile of an animal, perhaps you should try a new hobby.

depends on the rifle as well. With my .270 i will go long because it is my most accurate rifle and i feel confident with it, and practice to 500 all summer but i wont use it for anything bigger than deer for long range because of energy. Also depends on what sized critter is the target. Also is the fact that if i cannot get a somewhat confident range on the range finder i will not take a long one either. Then there is the rest, if i cannot use sticks or get a good rest I wont try it unless i feel confident enough.
So far I have killed a deer and an Oryx at around 500yrds.

Since I hunt with a bow as well as a rifle I feel that getting closer is part of the meaning of hunting. Shooters can take those long shots but they shouldn't try it "just to see if I can hit it". If you get closer you greatly improve your chances of hitting the animal where it counts. If you want to just hit something at 1000 yards try a metal silhouette that way if you miss the vitals you didn't waste someone else's trophy.

I bow hunt also. But there is still the debate whether we should shoot 60 yards with a bow. There are lots of guys on here that can. I can't. I limit myself to 50 due to the amount of practice I put in.

Well the guys I am referencing don't shoot 900 or 1300 yards "just to see if I can hit it". They are dedicated LR shooters. Many shoot silhouettes and competitions. I would venture to guess that more of the, "someone else's trophy", has been wasted by people that are shooting less then 500 yards.

How lousy of a hunter are you if you can only get to 900 yards of a game animal. That is over a half mile away, and some joker thinks he is "hunting" if he gets within a 1/2 mile of an animal?

If you can't get within a 1/2 mile of an animal, perhaps you should try a new hobby.

LOL ok. Who defines hunting?

Strange as it sounds... I'm going to agree with Moosie here.
Seems when I'm shooting long range, I am more focused and shoot better.
In wide open country I've shot antelope at +/-500 yards but missed hurried shots at deer at less than 200.
Bowhunting... 50 is a stretch for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back