MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How do you stay warm?

nr8l

OK I need a little help. I get very cold very easy. What do you do to stay warm in tree stand conditions?
Layers?
What material?
What boots?
Socks??

How you do to stay warm in tree stand conditions?

Short answer; you don't.

At least I don't.

But if you're determined to try, use lots of layers. Synthetics on the inside with wool and fleece midlayers, windshell and down on the outside. And keep your head/neck covered up. Capeline, merino wool,Smartwool,Primaloft, etc find out what, if anything, works for you. But in certain conditions, there's just really not going to be any way to stay comfortable.

Even with temps in the 30's, after several hours of complete inactivity, my hands and feet are usually well past numb. At that point I'll generally move locations to get warm again, whether it scares the deer or not.

As a result, I tend to avoid treestand hunts in favor of more physically actve hunts.

Just my .02......

I have to agree with Grady on this to is tough to stay warm sitting in stand.

Personally I carry most my clothes in with me instead of wearing them on the way to stand not matter how close the walk may be. Keeps me from working up any sweat at all.

Throw away hand warmers can help you stay in the stand that sometimes need extra time. In fact if it gets really cold I will put them around my kidneys one layer out from my skin. I also put some warmers in interior pockets of my clothes seems to make a big difference.

I prefer bibs seems to retain the heat better especially with a few hand warmers inside.

A wind proof layer is a must.

Mittens with fingered liners instead of fingered gloves, this also makes hand warmers more effective.

Personally I am still looking for a good system for my feet. Might just need to go to a different set of boots. I found that wool gators keep my feet warmer as well.

But with all that been said I still get cold. Sucks

John,

Here's a Buddy that will keep you warm.....

51J22X2QXEL__AA400_.jpg

Just think, you could hang it from your bow peg,

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I sat in a tree stand last night and did pretty good. It was 6 degrees when I got back to the truck. I was able to keep my core warm and arms and legs. Fingures and toes tried to jump off my body and run back to the truck. Still not completely warmed up!!!

I just think about Obama and some of his policies...man do I ever get hot over all the BS.

get some of those hand and feet warmers. believe it or not, they do actually work. only negative, you have to shake your hands and feet occasionnally. but worth it to stay warm. pretty sure wally world carries them.

if you have a farm and fleet, or a tsc store near you, go and see if they have glove liners. kinda look like what buschy was wearing in the nd deer thread. less the sparklies. work wonders under your normal winter gloves.

If you're sitting those hand warmers by your femoral artery (crotch) help a lot, keep the blood warm, and that keeps me warm. All that said, the coldest I've ever been was on a tree stand in Oklahoma, all the clothes I had with me weren't enough.

For me it's all about the feet and hands.

For my feet, I wear a polypro liner sock under a merino mid/heavy weight sock. And over that a good pair of pac boots. I've worn out a pair of kamiks in the last couple of years and and now looking at a pair of lacrosse ice kings. I may get a pair of those "bunny boots" for ice fishing. I swear I've never heard anyone say they didn't work and they're very inexpensive. My feet tend to get cold from the bottom up so when I am ice fishing I will bring a small (2'x2') piece of insulation to put my feet on so my boots don't have direct contact with the ice.

For my hands in really, really cold weather I like to have a pair of huge "chopper" style mittens with. I put them on when I get to my stand and stick a hand warmer in each. I like to get these big so I can easily make a fist in them and so their easy to get off if I need to.

What boots?
Socks??

You might also try some Muck Boots...the ones with the ultracold rating. Woodys or something. They run about a hundred bucks, give or take, and are the best I've found so far.

That and wool socks with a synthetic liner sock are what works for me for cold mornings when you aren't moving.

My most serious tree stand hunting I did was this year, wolf hunting. Temps in the teens and twenties a couple days. I stayed warm using, silk underwear, liner socks, wool blend socks inside 12 gram Duratrax boots. Microtex pants with Cabela's berber fleece pants over that. Then silk underwear top, capilene shirt over that, Cabela's microfleece henly w/windshear(I have and love microfleece henleys, w and w/o w/s, awesome) then over that the berber fleece hoodie. Then the key- the microfleece neck gaiter and the watchcap. Stayed in the stand from morning til night.

Neck gaiters are key- I just figured this out. I dropped my gaiter one morning out of the stand, it didn't take long before I was climbing down and got it.

Sounds like a lot of clothes, but the way the microfleece and the berber fleece tops are cut, they wear great, lots of motion.

Just don't try hiking anywhere, waaay to hot for that.

I bought a pair of those boot "slip covers". I have hiden them from my hunting buddies as I doubt I can stand the abuse. Anyhow, it was 22 degrees this morning and my feet were roasty warm.

How do you stay warm

You might also try battery powered socks. They work great but don't turn them on untill you're in your stand and your feet start to get cool, or else your feet will sweat. They are available at Dick's Sporting Goods or online Google heated socks + battery. Gloves are also available but I have never tried them. Good luck with your hunt. The socks cost about 25 bucks.

Layers, and more layers, and cheapo hand warmers. I get boots a size or more too big and double up wool socks. Not great to walk in but it is warm. Another thing, DO NOT get sweated up going to your stand. I take a camo painted 5 gal bucket with all my clothes and get dressed near my tree to avoid sweating up on the walk in. I have managed to make it a few hours in sub zero weather, but it was not comfortable

If it's really cold, I always have a thermos of coffee, hot chocolate or just hot water (if you're a scent freak) in my pack. It will really help warm your core.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back