Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How careful are you with scope mounting?

There are a range of things folks do to ensure solid scope mounting, which do you recommend folks do

• Epoxy bed mounting rail

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • Use manufacturer's torque spec

Votes: 69 69.7%
  • Use Loctite

Votes: 70 70.7%
  • Use single piece rings

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Lap scope rings

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • Have installed by gunsmith

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Only purchase high-end brand rings

Votes: 46 46.5%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters
I have been thinking about this post for awhile . It seems to me that if we buy Quality products and are a little handy we can get the rings bases , or rail and rings,
scope set up just fine . There is a few ways to get to this point , most can check out YouTube and get some pointers .
I just injoy gathering parts and pieces to get my Rifle the way I want . It's no fun letting someone else do the work to me !

MT.PERCHMAN

DIY is so much faster....quicker and personal gratification in one.

I defiantly would not recommend having it done at the gun counter by a salesman.....more than likely even the newest novice will put in more care doing it DIY.

you don’t need to go broke buying all the“special” scope tools out there.

quality screw drivers and Allen wrenches are a must for a gun owner in my eyes. Craftsman and similar brands generally don’t fit this bill.

all the “special“ levels..... a plumb bob (which you could make with a weight and bright colored string) plus a decent level will achieve the same result.

I bed the rail if using one on a 700-type action (no need on a flat top), degrease everything, use Loctite blue on the rail or base screws, apply a very thin layer of gasket material to the inside of the rings to prevent any slippage and protect the scope tube from ring marks, level and torque everything to manufacturer specs and finally apply a little clear nail polish over the all the screws to prevent rust. I like Seekins and Talley rings, depending on the application.

I do all my own. Have probably done 20 or so. I've screwed up a couple of times, but nothing that can't be fixed and it's all part of the learning process.

Oh and by the way - should anyone owning a Tikka CTR reading this thread decide to replace the factory rail with a 20 MOA model, just go ahead and set aside the whole day for this project with a heat gun and a razor blade. Finland don't use release agent.

Back