Caribou Gear Tarp

How careful are you with scope mounting?

There are a range of things folks do to ensure solid scope mounting, which do you recommend folks do

• Epoxy bed mounting rail

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • Use manufacturer's torque spec

Votes: 69 69.7%
  • Use Loctite

Votes: 70 70.7%
  • Use single piece rings

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Lap scope rings

Votes: 40 40.4%
  • Have installed by gunsmith

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Only purchase high-end brand rings

Votes: 46 46.5%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters
With my .338 win mag, I'm running a Vortex scope and higher end Leupold Rings. I lapped the rings, then installed the scope and torqued per specs. Never used loctite or felt it was needed.

Loctite is fine, until you have to try to remove it-which hopefully won't happen. I have done it both ways, but properly torqued screws is a great idea, no matter what. Bedding the mounts with JB Weld is a good idea, too, as you know the rail is in contact with the receiver all the way and it is not as likely to shift. I usually don't do it, but even with expensive rings, it is not a bad thing to lap the rings, to make sure that you have the best contact for the full width of the rings. It also lessens the chances of leaving rings marks on the scope. Not every mount is perfect and even expensive rings can be a bit off, due to the mounts. Several variables there.

I have been borrowing a buddy's scope mounting kit, but finally ordered my own from Brownell's. It can be an eye opener to use the alignment rods, showing how far out of alignment rings can be. I did some 30mm Weaver rings just yesterday and they were pretty jacked. I got them pretty much perfect, after some lapping work. Hard to say if it was the rings, or the mount, but those alignment rods will tell you if there is a problem.

I feel lucky, in that I know an old Jarhead who takes mounting scopes very seriously. He charges a whopping $12 per mounting and boresighting! He has you watch to verify. He has better tools than I.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t trust anyone to mount my scopes. I bought all the tools to do it even though I may only do it a dozen times in my life. If you buy quality rings you shouldn’t need to lap them and they will tell you as much in the mounting instructions.

I do the Talley Light Weights as well- loc-tite to the receiver only, not the rings. Checked alignment, no lapping needed although Talley says not to lap their rings anyways or it voids their warranty. (Not real sure anyone cares about a warranty on $40 rings) I torque to the recommended specs and it seems to work real nice and easy.

I thought mounting my own scope was intimidating at first but the last time I had a gun shop mount for me and boresight it, my first shots weren’t on paper at 50 yards. I’ll be doing it myself from here on out.

I mount all mine with Talley Light Weights, check em with the alignment rods, lap if necessary, torque to spec, a little blue loc-t on the base to receiver, none on the ring coupling. The Wheeler Kit is the bomb. So far so good.

I use about the same process but will be bedding the bases for 100% contact/fit to the action.
Hawkins Hybrid 25MOA 1pc base/ring are what I prefer if applicable. They are amazing quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back