PEAX Equipment

How big do wolves get?

oh and for the record, JBS on the very first guess of 103 and shoots-straight at 115 were both 6 pounds off! Nice work guys. Your prize is "in the mail".

and yes, it was a male.

MNELKNUT, that was interesting! thanks for sharing. Seeing pictures of some of the ones that were shot this season here, and some of the ones I have seen around the BWCAW I know they get BIG!

Sure wish I would have gotten drawn this year.

It would be interesting to know the weights of the dogs out west for comparison.

Heaviest ever weighed in Idaho have been around 130-135. Those were live weights when getting fitted with radio collars. That is seemingly the top end and most weigh less.

Heaviest ever weighed in Idaho have been around 130-135. Those were live weights when getting fitted with radio collars. That is seemingly the top end and most weigh less.
That's not what I heard while drinking a beer in the Woodlot on a trip to Orofino a few years back... :D

That's not what I heard while drinking a beer in the Woodlot on a trip to Orofino a few years back... :D

Small town Idaho bars are usually a pretty reliable place to gather wildlife info. ;)

Watch out for Beaver Fever, it can be rampant.

First wolf is an 82lb. female. Second is a 114lb. male. Rick skinned another for a guy this year that weighed in at 120 even.

Attachments

• DSC_0509.jpg
    DSC_0509.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3,400
  • DSCN1870.JPG
    DSCN1870.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 1,148
Hey guys,

I'm new here and saw this thread and found it very interesting. I was one of the lucky who received an early wolf license here in Minnesota. On the 5th day I was able to call in this wolf using a combo of fawn in distress calls and coyote howls. We had bought a new scale this year to weigh deer and had it at camp. I had to pack the animal 3/4 miles on my pack frame, and when we weighed it, it came out at 122 pounds. The frame weighed 5 so that put the male wolf at right around 117 pounds. I wish I would have gotten a shot of me hugging it like many do, but the combination of its smell, and having broken the front shoulder with my shot, made it impossible to hold like that. I also didn't want to have my clothes smell like wolf blood, living in our teepee for the next 5 days, either.

PB070128.jpg

Here is a pic of my dad and I with it.

Nice wolf. I noticed the one I killed had a pretty strong odor also. Congratulations. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back