Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How bad is a 3/4 ton truck off road?

npaden

Well, I’m leaning very strongly toward buying a new 3/4 ton truck. Most likely a 2021 Chevy 2500HD Diesel. Pulling our toy hauler has just gotten too much for our current 1/2 ton and I think the right thing to do is make the step up to a 3/4 ton and might as well go all the way with the diesel.

This thread isn’t about whether I need a 3/4 ton to pull my toy hauler, I think I’ve read and watched enough YouTube videos on that, but what I’m trying to decide is just how much of a pain is it going to be to be driving a 3/4 ton truck around on crappy 2 track roads.

The 3/4 ton diesel is over 2,000 pounds heavier than my 1/2 ton which is great for towing but not for driving in mud and soft ground. It actually has more ground clearance, but a longer wheel base so my approach and departure angles are going to suck and chances of high centering on a hill are a lot higher. Going up a steep hill seems like it would be harder as well with all that extra weight and not a lot more ground contact.

I’ve watched a few videos where they go through some obstacles and stuff but nothing really out there just talking about how they do in real world situations.

I would have a Rzr for ATV trails and stuff hence the toy hauler but I still do a lot of driving in the truck on 2 tracks earning my racing pinstripes and all that fun stuff. My side steps on my current truck are pretty dented up from banging on rocks and stuff, it definitely gets used as a 4wd vehicle.

Am I going to be shocked at how crappy the 3/4 ton does off road or am I just going to notice a slight difference in turning and have to pay attention to approach and departure angles?

Any real world input from people who have taken both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks on some sketchy roads?

Thanks, Nathan

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I drive off road in very rough country in a 3/4 ton Chevy a lot, but it’s a 6.0 gas V8, not a diesel. It’s an extended cab, 6.5 foot bed, with a spacer leveling kit (I wouldn’t have chosen that if it it was my personal truck). You’ll notice a pretty big difference in ride quality. That stiff suspension can beat me up, but the truck still gets around very well. The turning radius isn’t good.

A diesel will be a lot easier to get stuck when the snow hits. With the cost of a diesel, I’d go gas unless I was towing a lot of weight very frequently. The 6.0 isn’t racy, but it’s a very reliable engine and I’ve towed some heavy stuff with it.

I definitely prefer driving my Tundra off road, but I’ve taken this truck, my previous 2014 GMC 3/4 ton, and a couple older 3/4 ton work trucks into some pretty terrible places.

I’ve taken a stock Chevy diesel crew cab with no lift up and down trails that I definitely should not have. It did fine in snow, mud, across creeks and everything tho. The only thing was the diesel seems to take too long to spin up at the worst times.

I’ve taken a 2500 Dodge Cummins LB in places that made my hunting buddy just shake his head. I’d tell him “you spot, I’ll worry”. Yeah, they beat you up, you’ll have to go slower, it’ll be a bigger PITA to turn around, and you’ll eat up tires and ball joints a lot faster. You can make it work.

Like Steve said there's tradeoffs to both. I doubt you'd be upset with the performance. Once you switch trucks you'll drive differently and it'll work just as good.

Good choice on the truck. Those are some sharp and high quality trucks!

My buddy calls his 2500 Ram, the 'Ol Dodge Jackhammer...it's rough, but bulletproof, except for the engine he had to have rebuilt, but thats neither here nor there.

Thanks for the input. That helps a lot.

The newer trucks even in 3/4 ton have a softer suspension than they used to for sure. I’ve driven one around in town and could hardly tell the difference from my 1/2 ton with aired up tires.

My buddy has an older 1 ton and you feel every.... single.... rock in the road. But it gets there eventually.

I’ve gone back and forth on the gas vs diesel a few times but for now I’m still planning on the diesel. With the toy hauler being such a tall trailer it can really catch the wind and the new 6.6 gasser in the Chevys isn’t much better than the 6.0 and they put the 6 speed transmission in them instead of the new 10 speed for some reason.

The new Ford 7.3 gasser with the big rear end gets pretty good reviews for power and towing and they have the Tremor package that looks pretty good but I’m not really a Ford guy so It hasn’t been as easy for me to figure out all the trim levels and try to match things up apples to apples to try to compare to what that would be on a Chevy. Also Ford doesn’t have a very good way to search for specific trucks at different dealers that I have found like Chevy does. Right now inventory is pretty low on trucks and I’m having to search out 2 or 300 miles to find what I want as far as color and trim level.

Once you hook up that new Duramax to your toy hauler you'll wonder why you didn't make the change to a diesel sooner.
As for off roading, there are better options but it will do fine. Just take your time and know the limits. Because when you get a diesel stuck, it's really stuck....

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back