Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How bad is a 3/4 ton truck off road?

Any real world input from people who have taken both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks on some sketchy roads?

Thanks, Nathan

My buddy's Power Wagon is a 3/4 ton I don't mind taking off-road...the rest of the 3/4s would not be my preference for anything really rough or muddy

Lots of 3/4 & 1 ton trucks use the two tracks. You will be fine.

Not to talk you out of the diesel, but one thing to think about if you don't think you need it other then the towing. The gas engi8ne most OEM's offer in the heavy duty will pull the trailer just fine and today the upgrade option for the diesel is 7-10K, so you could save that money and put into upgrades like better tires, winch ect.

I would also see if they have fixed their CP4 injector pump issues. Three guys at work have or should say had 14 & 15's GM had to buy one back and the other two had about 8K repair bills when the pump grenades'.

Look for what you want on Carvana to get an idea of what 1st year depreciation looks like. I picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi with 3500 miles on it for $10k less than new. Free delivery and factory warranty.

The $10k savings helped fund some upgrades and a hunting trip this year.

Have 2 F250s at home. A 2002 with the 5.4 and a 2014 with a 6.7. The 02 is my daily hunting truck, the 14 pulls my toy hauler and runs the two tracks out west. It’s definitely heavier, it’s the quad cab, but it’s also carrying a 12k winch on the front.
Haven’t had to pull myself out yet, but other. Dad taught me, go as far as you dare in 2wd then lock in 4wd and get the heck out. Been sound advice for 43 years.

Hard to compare the top 3 in there 3/4 ton vehicles. Ford and Ram still run a solid front axle (harsher ride) GM has been running IFS since like 1988 or something.

I will be buying a new 21 GMC SLE 2500HD with the new 6.6 gas motor in the spring. I am hoping a new trans will be out by then. The old 6l90 is a solid unit thats been for awhile.

Haveing run a a 3500HD Denalli in the past, you will love the power of the Duramax. As stated when stuck, your fu&&ed! Part of me wishes I would have kept that pickup but I didn’t really need it. Now the wife wants to upgrade the camper...

I have a 2017 2500HD and it is tolerable on washboard roads. I found that when I swapped the factory Goodyear tires for General Grabber ATXs, both E rated, ride quality improved a lot. YMMV.

I sold my 04 Ford f150 to my son a few years back and bought an 08 F250 6.4 for the same reasons you described. Let's just say I really miss my 1/2 ton when it comes to hunting and day to day driving. Like has been said though. You can make it work.

You have a toy hauler. Why are you considering using a new diesel offroad?

Park the toy hauler off a maintained road and don't bother taking the diesel on two tracks.

I did have a 3/4 ton dodge and hated it on rough roads. The half tons are much easier on the body.

Even now with a half ton, I use my four wheeler as much as possible unless my whole family is with me.

There are lots of times when I've been somewhere where I'm parking my trailer in one spot and might be hunting 20 or 30 miles away when it is all said and done, especially when there is snow on the ground I'm going to park my trailer where I know I can get it out. It is way more enjoyable to drive a heated pickup 20 or 30 miles than a Rzr. I have been on several hunting trips where I don't even bring my toys in the toy hauler because they just take up space. I've had the toy hauler for 3 years now and I probably end up driving my truck more than my Rzr on hunting trips. We use the toys a lot more when we go on trips in the summer where the intention is using the toys. I just don't seem to use them much when it comes to hunting.

I have a 2011 Ram 2500 diesel. I'll just say this....when you bury it, it's buried. I've had it buried to the point I had to get wreckers out to pull it out of the mud. On one occasion, the tow truck driver was beginning to worry if his truck was going to pull it. It suction cupped to the mud. Once the vacuum broke, it came right out. Would a gasser have gotten stuck? Probably. But I think I could have gotten a gas truck out. That extra weight is a killer when you get it stuck.

The 3/4 diesel will be quite a bit heavier. You will notice on off camber rds that are slick, it will want to slide downhill more than your half ton.
They also sink quick in mud.
Dry conditions, no big deal. Slightly stiffer ride.

You're overthinking this. You need the 3/4 for the trailer. Just send it. Or tow an atv or side by side in the toyhauler previously mentioned. Ride quality is irrelevant if you don't have an alternative. I have a 1 ton long bed and the ride quality is amazing.....compared to the walk I would have to have to get to those places.

Buy the 3/4 ton and get yourself a winch and good chains. First time you pull your trailer with a new diesel you’ll be very happy. I’ve had long bed crew cab 3/4 tons (gas and diesel) for almost 20 years and they do suck at turning but on most roads are still manageable, if not haul a toy in the toyhauler that will get you where you want to go.

You're overthinking this. You need the 3/4 for the trailer. Just send it. Or tow an atv or side by side in the toyhauler previously mentioned. Ride quality is irrelevant if you don't have an alternative. I have a 1 ton long bed and the ride quality is amazing.....compared to the walk I would have to have to get to those places.
Yeah, this is where I could probably "get by" with a newer 1/2 ton pickup for towing if I had to. I've been towing it with my current 1/2 ton for 3 years, it is just at the absolute limit of what it will do and I find myself leaving my trailer home instead of taking it because it is such a pain to pull especially in the mountains.

I'm trying to figure out if the 3/4 ton on the 2 tracks roads is going to end up being the same way and I'm going to just not take it places because it is such as pain driving in on the 2 tracks and rough roads.

Sounds like it will be a trade off, but maybe not as much of one as pulling a 10,000lbs+ toy hauler with a 1/2 ton truck.

I'm trying to figure out if the 3/4 ton on the 2 tracks roads is going to end up being the same way and I'm going to just not take it places because it is such as pain driving in on the 2 tracks and rough roads.
You will notice the flex is different on the suspension but on super rough roads you will be driving slow enough you won't be able to tell the difference. The washboards will bounce you harder in a 3/4 but then again washboards suck in a 1/2 ton as well. Other than that, as the driver it doesn't bother me, my copilots have also never complained. The extra weight of a 3/4 vs 1/2 by far out weighs the negatives for me for towing as well as off-roading. More weight is more traction in most cases as least initially. How you handle yourself after your tires slip will make a huge difference.

Which is your bigger priority, towing performance, safety and capability or Offroad? That should guide your decision making process.

There are lots of times when I've been somewhere where I'm parking my trailer in one spot and might be hunting 20 or 30 miles away when it is all said and done, especially when there is snow on the ground I'm going to park my trailer where I know I can get it out. It is way more enjoyable to drive a heated pickup 20 or 30 miles than a Rzr. I have been on several hunting trips where I don't even bring my toys in the toy hauler because they just take up space. I've had the toy hauler for 3 years now and I probably end up driving my truck more than my Rzr on hunting trips. We use the toys a lot more when we go on trips in the summer where the intention is using the toys. I just don't seem to use them much when it comes to hunting. At a minimum I would at least test drive a Power Wagon and keep it as an option in your search.
I would look at the Dodge Power Wagon if I were you. It's not gonna tow as nice as a diesel but if you are spending a ton of time under these scenarios I don't think it can be beat for what you will be asking it to do. One BA truck! I own the diesel and wouldn't have it any other way for towing. It's limitations don't bother me much and I use it often on rough dirt roads and some two track. If I didn't have such a heavy trailer I would own a power wagon.
At a minimum test drive one and keep it as an option as you look. In my eyes the power wagon is the only "best of both worlds" 3/4 ton on the market. Grocery getter, daily driver, capable 4x4 and tow rig all wrapped into one in a 3/4 ton package. My .02

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure the towing capacity on the PW is lower than that of a normal 3/4T. Worth checking.

Pretty sure the towing capacity on the PW is lower than that of a normal 3/4T. Worth checking.
Yep, sure is. I believe it's manufactures spec is a little over 10k lbs.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back