PEAX Equipment

How bad is a 3/4 ton truck off road?

Hunted Wyoming Elk rifle opener the last 2 seasons in and near hobble creek campground which is a nightmare of a road. All those good ol boys were driving Ram 2500's and bigger and my buddy and I just sat back in marvel at the massive trailers they would haul into the back country, it was kind of cool....you'll be totally fine.

It will be interesting to see what fuel price point it takes to get Americans to change vehicle preference.
I calculated the cost of filling up my F350 every month vs the cost of buying a Prius plug-in and as long as diesel stays north of $4.50/gallon it's cheaper to just keep the truck parked unless towing. I kind of like zipping around town on electrons, so I'll probably just keep the car as a daily driver...

I calculated the cost of filling up my F350 every month vs the cost of buying a Prius plug-in and as long as diesel stays north of $4.50/gallon it's cheaper to just keep the truck parked unless towing. I kind of like zipping around town on electrons, so I'll probably just keep the car as a daily driver...
I actually do the same thing. I bought a little honda for my daughter to use for her first car, and it's now pretty much my daily driver. My 3/4 ton just sits as it takes forever to get warm where the car is nice and toasty within a few miles. Car is way easier to park places like downtown, restaurants, etc... And for doing most of my running around I do not use the truck bed so no need.

Well, I’m leaning very strongly toward buying a new 3/4 ton truck. Most likely a 2021 Chevy 2500HD Diesel. Pulling our toy hauler has just gotten too much for our current 1/2 ton and I think the right thing to do is make the step up to a 3/4 ton and might as well go all the way with the diesel.

This thread isn’t about whether I need a 3/4 ton to pull my toy hauler, I think I’ve read and watched enough YouTube videos on that, but what I’m trying to decide is just how much of a pain is it going to be to be driving a 3/4 ton truck around on crappy 2 track roads.

The 3/4 ton diesel is over 2,000 pounds heavier than my 1/2 ton which is great for towing but not for driving in mud and soft ground. It actually has more ground clearance, but a longer wheel base so my approach and departure angles are going to suck and chances of high centering on a hill are a lot higher. Going up a steep hill seems like it would be harder as well with all that extra weight and not a lot more ground contact.

I’ve watched a few videos where they go through some obstacles and stuff but nothing really out there just talking about how they do in real world situations.

I would have a Rzr for ATV trails and stuff hence the toy hauler but I still do a lot of driving in the truck on 2 tracks earning my racing pinstripes and all that fun stuff. My side steps on my current truck are pretty dented up from banging on rocks and stuff, it definitely gets used as a 4wd vehicle.

Am I going to be shocked at how crappy the 3/4 ton does off road or am I just going to notice a slight difference in turning and have to pay attention to approach and departure angles?

Any real world input from people who have taken both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks on some sketchy roads?

Thanks, Nathan
I’m really late to this thread but I’ve got a 2016 F250 4dr. that I take on sketch roads all the time. It’s got the s rates to prove it. But, I take my truck into places people on atv’s get nervous about.

Can’t tell you how many guys I’ve come across with big ol lifted diesels that can’t believe where I took my truck.

Anyways, a Ford or Dodge comes from the factory with some pretty decent clearance, way more than a Chevy. Add in solid front axles and you have yourself a great rig.

Clearance where? mtmuley
Every where. Frame rails, front and rear end. I think even with the differential in the front you still get the clearance the Chevy has with IFS. The diesels are even worse with that tank hanging off the side of the frame. That’s just dumb.

The newer trail boss has changed the stance slightly. Still you pretty much need a 4 in lift to get Chevy’s to sit like Fords do from the factory.

If you’re not actually using the truck all that much it doesn’t matter. If you are the difference between them is pretty significant.

Every where. Frame rails, front and rear end. I think even with the differential in the front you still get the clearance the Chevy has with IFS. The diesels are even worse with that tank hanging off the side of the frame. That’s just dumb.

The newer trail boss has changed the stance slightly. Still you pretty much need a 4 in lift to get Chevy’s to sit like Fords do from the factory.

If you’re not actually using the truck all that much it doesn’t matter. If you are the difference between them is pretty significant.
Quick Google shows 8.5 inches of ground clearance for a Ford F250. Chevy 2500, 10.1 inches. mtmuley

Quick google search is cool. Actual experience works a little better. The internet is kinda that way.
When you’re out driving around today you’ll see a thousand of these trucks. Just a quick glance tells you all you need, not that it matters.

Quick google search is cool. Actual experience works a little better. The internet is kinda that way.
Yeah, the DEF tank has been relocated for last 3 years. That was definitely not a good location for the year models that had that hanging down.

My 2021 model has really good clearance all around. If I put a lift on it, it wouldn’t fit in my 7’ high garage door.

Still very happy with mine.

I bet my beater 2003 GMC non HD 2500 has more ground clearance than the 2019 Ford. mtmuley

Drove 1-ton and such trucks for 20 years off road. It’s sucked.

The only thing for sure…

Regardless of what you drive, things will break.

The bigger that thing is, the more spectacular and expensive it is to repair and get back to a shop.

I still have ruts in my yard from driving my ram 2500 Cummins with the boat once in 2018. That truck was 8400lbs with just me in it.

My F150’s have consistently been under 4800 lbs empty with zero issues leaving ruts in my yard.

The differentials both have right at the same 9-10” of ground clearance with stock tires

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back