Yeti GOBOX Collection

How bad do the roads get around Pawnee National Grasslands in the rain?

rideold

Headed to unit 87 in the morning. Looks like it will be a cold and wet hunt with 80% chance of rain Sunday night. Just wondering if anyone has advice on how bad the roads get with a few days of rain. I have chains for the rear (can't put them on the front unfortunately). I'm planning on walking rather than driving off of the main roads. Just wondering if I'm going to wake up after a night of rain and be stuck and I'd rather not camp on the shoulder of the county road. I'm sleeping in the truck so no tent setup etc. Wondering if I should grab a hotel for the first couple of nights. Thanks for the info.

Well, the roads stayed more than fine. Weather put a bit of a damper on things at times. I spent a good amount of time sitting in rain gear and using the range finder for much of the time I was out there was pointless. I saw some despicable hunter behavior and plenty of folks driving wherever they wanted. I didn't bring home any dinners but learned enough to make it a successful (for me) hunt. Have to give speedgoats another try in the future.

That's a shame. Pawnee has some good antelope hunting. Unfortunately, they give out a ton of tags for it. Try archery, or muzzleloader in the future. Not as much of a crowd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back