"House Arrest" hunting

Looking at Colorado: Fraser, Fort Collins, Longmont, Steamboat, Crested Butte, west side Co Springs, they'd all the do the trick if the law forced me to live, raise a family, hunt that unit, and work there.

I've met Hawaiians who had never been to the other side of their island. No matter how great one place may be I would not be content. I love variety of game and the different sights, sounds, and smells.
Not even poverty can tie me down.

Looking at Colorado: Fraser, Fort Collins, Longmont, Steamboat, Crested Butte, west side Co Springs, they'd all the do the trick if the law forced me to live, raise a family, hunt that unit, and work there.
Fraser/longmont... yeah ok

Steamboat... good luck you either can't shop or you can't drive anywhere as 40 isn't entirely in your unit.

Crested... same

Colorado springs... same

Fraser/longmont... yeah ok

Steamboat... good luck you either can't shop or you can't drive anywhere as 40 isn't entirely in your unit.

Crested... same

Colorado springs... same

i'm kinda going the route you have to hunt the unit you live in, but if the town with a footprint of like 400 acres is bisected down mainstreet by two units youre allowed to step across the street for a good taco dinner and then grab ice cream on the other side of the street ;)

but if i lived in 54 i at least have the grocery store in CB, roughly half the restaurants, and the fly shop in gunni. missin out on the wal mart tho, and the airport.

at least have otc elk hunting, first rifle most years going forward, but not great on deer.

all that to say, fraser is what i would actually pick if i had to i think. ample tags, ample amenities, ample beetle kill. bring it on.

Yes, there's maybe one in WA, definitely one in ID, and probably one in MT and WY. The only one my family would go for is the ID one.
Nah, the ID one is full. Matter of fact, all the ones in ID are full.

Idaho sucks. It's a horrible place. The weather is horrible. The people are horrible. We've got some great strip malls and franchise restaurants if that's your thing, otherwise, it's all horrible.

i'm kinda going the route you have to hunt the unit you live in, but if the town with a footprint of like 400 acres is bisected down mainstreet by two units youre allowed to step across the street for a good taco dinner and then grab ice cream on the other side of the street ;)

but if i lived in 54 i at least have the grocery store in CB, roughly half the restaurants, and the fly shop in gunni. missin out on the wal mart tho, and the airport.

at least have otc elk hunting, first rifle most years going forward, but not great on deer.

all that to say, fraser is what i would actually pick if i had to i think. ample tags, ample amenities, ample beetle kill. bring it on.

Pssss you can't drive down to gunni... come on.. @2rocky what kinda hypothetical thread are you running here, cheaters everywhere

My office is <4 miles from our house, but its in a different hunting unit. I do a fair amount of hunting and fishing in the unit we live. OTC deer, elk, turkey, bear, etc. hunting that is not much better or worse than other OTC units. But if I was going to have to pick a forever unit not sure this would be it.

Nah, the ID one is full. Matter of fact, all the ones in ID are full.

Idaho sucks. It's a horrible place. The weather is horrible. The people are horrible. We've got some great strip malls and franchise restaurants if that's your thing, otherwise, it's all horrible.
Oh, the one I was thinking about is totally full, and I would hate to live there. But given the parameters and my requirement for truly rugged alpine terrain to wander, it's probably the best one in the west that has a grocery store and a school.

Being a plumber I could find good paying jobs damn near anywhere in the west. This is something I’ll be thinking about in 18 or so years hopefully sooner. I’ll be 52 and looking to leave the city life can’t imagine what Reno will look like then. Elko has my attention for now probably could get an archery deer tag in the rubies every year but I’ll be looking at other states north of Nevada if and when the time comes.

Ooohhh yeah. I'm not far from doing that now. But having a cabin in the middle of nowhere Alaska helps.
Good God.......that's my dream. Congrats on your Alaska cabin! I would have to say i'm sticking to the desert though. There is nothing like a summer desert rain to make the air smell sweet of creosote. Rabbits, quail, the occasional oryx, javelina, and a random mule deer or antelope. I'll add, there is nothing like a desert morning (no humidity) and a cool/cold desert night. All you have to worry about is water, lol. But we know where to find it if necessary. Texas desert or Scrub hill country.

Thanks man. I can say this. Spending 3 months in the bush is fantastic. The best part is that there is no clock for any practical reason. Where time does not matter. Being in the woods is nice. Having no need for a clock is better. As your world now depends on your surroundings and needs

Imagine for a second that you were placed on House Arrest for the rest of your days, confined to any one hunting unit to live, work, hunt and fish.

Could you do it?

NO ! I would cut off the ankle bracelet, get on the nearest sail boat and be gone ;)
. No matter how great one place may be I would not be content. I love variety of game and the different sights, sounds, and smells.
Not even poverty can tie me down.

and ask this gentleman to go with me!
whichever of my favorite places I chose I’d miss the other places.
and this gentleman as well

Imagine for a second that you were placed on House Arrest for the rest of your days, confined to any one hunting unit to live, work, hunt and fish.

Could you do it? Where ? Remember you have to abide by game /fish laws and draw rules too.
But in the spirit of the thread

"the rest of my days" could be tomorrow in my case, so staying in one place for the rest of my days would not be that hard !

But if I had to choose one it would be the same place I spent the first 16 years of my life ( The homestead in Arizona ). Elk, Coues Deer, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Mountain Lion, Turkey, Javelina, migrating ducks and geese as well as some of the best quail hunting in the U.S.
For me British Columbia....Ketchikan would be a close second.
wait ! based on this response I may have misunderstood the question

The Yukon Territory Canada, Namibia, Arizona -------- I;m thinking, I'm thinking :)

My home state doesn't have units so I guess I'm good here?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back