"House Arrest" hunting

2rocky

Imagine for a second that you were placed on House Arrest for the rest of your days, confined to any one hunting unit to live, work, hunt and fish.

Could you do it? Where ? Remember you have to abide by game /fish laws and draw rules too.

I could definitely do it. For most of my 10 year hunting career so far that is what I did. Finally hunting with new people and pushing the envelope into new places. I definitely prefer exploring new area but if that was my only option I would take full advantage of it like I have in the last.

Ooohhh yeah. I'm not far from doing that now. But having a cabin in the middle of nowhere Alaska helps.

Attachments

• 09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg
    77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 26E71138-52C0-48DA-90B0-F95FF7AB268E.jpeg
    26E71138-52C0-48DA-90B0-F95FF7AB268E.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210317_114745.jpg
    20210317_114745.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20210317_081956.jpg
    20210317_081956.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210313_073908.jpg
    20210313_073908.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 39
Imagine for a second that you were placed on House Arrest for the rest of your days, confined to any one hunting unit to live, work, hunt and fish.

Could you do it? Where ? Remember you have to abide by game /fish laws and draw rules too.
See I think people aren’t answering the question correctly, it’s not what do you think the best unit for elk is…

It’s, work, so you have to be able to have your career path there; live so have a home raise your kids etc, and recreate.

I think you probably have to toss most of the west out the window, because of unit configuration, eg live in Bozeman and only hunt 309 🤮
You can’t hunt Denver, and all the western slope towns have half the town in one unit have the other.

Let’s pick on @Dsnow9, your unit, north of the highway there is no school, few houses and it’s sage so your not working… if you pick south there isn’t a grocery store and good luck getting a deer tag. Also… not a ton of tree work.

WY also cut up by unit boundaries, do you pick hunting or Safeway lol?

Then, think about do you really want to live and be confined to a draw unit?

So that being said, and believe me I thought about a bunch of states you have 2 correct choices in no particular order.

1. Anchorage 14 C, decent city, school, work could be tough, cool hunting ops, but a lot of draw so some years you might not hunt that much or hunt in a limited way, great skiing.

2. Massachusetts Unit 10, great schools/work/city stuff… Turkey, deer, waterfowl, and fishing all in the unit boundary… no snow skiing but some water skiing.

Last edited:
I've got backyard deer, turkeys, and bears and my wife and I have good jobs. I'd probably just stay here in my home WMU in central PA I suppose. Hell, I barely leave as it is

See I think people aren’t answering the question correctly, it’s not what do you think the best unit for elk is…

It’s, work, so you have to be able to have your career path there; live so have a home raise your kids etc, and recreate.

I think you probably have to toss most of the west out the window, because of unit configuration, eg live in Bozeman and only hunt 309 🤮
You can’t hunt Denver, and all the western slope towns have half the town in one unit have the other.

Let’s pick on @Dsnow9, your unit, north of the highway there is no school, few houses and it’s sage so your not working… if you pick south there isn’t a grocery store and good luck getting a deer tag. Also… not a ton of tree work.

WY also cut up by unit boundaries, do you pick hunting or Safeway lol?

Then, think about do you really want to live and be confined to a draw unit?

So that being said, and believe me I thought about a bunch of states you have 2 correct choices in no particular order.

1. Anchorage 14 C, decent city, school, work could be tough, cool hunting ops, but a lot of draw so some years you might not hunt that much or hunt in a limited way, great skiing.

2. Massachusetts Unit 10, great schools/work/city stuff… Turkey, deer, waterfowl, and fishing all in the unit boundary… no snow skiing but some water skiing.
Looking out my office window well within the boundaries of MA zone 10, I catch a glimpse of the homeless folks that call the abandoned cars home and who use the nearby patch of trees as a bathroom. This image wouldn't really motivate others to come hunt this unit, so I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should add "lack of hunting pressure" to why this unit cracks your top two list...

Oh. Sorry, I called it retirement.
What an arresting development I find myself in. I'm doing time with Rio, in isolation.
Yesterday Rio barked orders to all that would hear,as I filled the truck with firewood. He slept...
Recently we had a guest come to try and fill a ES elk tag. I listed to bugles until sunrise and wondered what scenario was playing out each morning....Rio slept.
Today I'll unload the truck under Rio's watchful eye before the rain comes.
We have another guest coming in Friday to try for a bull for a bit and another on Sat. mid-day to check out the layout for the next weeks hunt with his brother.
Rio will say hello to all and run around til he goes and falls asleep. Rio, the rescue, from the slammer dog.
He better not get too comfy. There are critters to chase,cattle and people to bark at as we drive by.
We have 2 more elk hunts here in the next 2 months and a deer hunt.
Then it's back to isolation. House Arrest in No Man's Land, with a nice fire and hopefully a full freezer.
Rio can sleep.

Yep, where I already live. Kinda helps that our hunting units are just quarters of the state. I've got public land I can go back and camp on away from people and public land I can hunt on for quick morning/evening sits.

Not an issue for me. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, some of the friends I made when in college where surprised that I returned home after graduation. Also, Covid is a bad deal so I am not making light of it, but to be honest, when The Territories closed their borders it created no problem for us. "Isolation" and living off the land is thought about, dreamed about, wished for----but not as easy as some think it might be. Two weeks, a month, even a year, but most of those who came to the territories to homestead, didn't make it and stated, "loneliness" as the main reason for giving up.

Oh. Sorry, I called it retirement.
What an arresting development I find myself in. I'm doing time with Rio, in isolation.
Yesterday Rio barked orders to all that would hear,as I filled the truck with firewood. He slept...
Recently we had a guest come to try and fill a ES elk tag. I listed to bugles until sunrise and wondered what scenario was playing out each morning....Rio slept.
Today I'll unload the truck under Rio's watchful eye before the rain comes.
We have another guest coming in Friday to try for a bull for a bit and another on Sat. mid-day to check out the layout for the next weeks hunt with his brother.
Rio will say hello to all and run around til he goes and falls asleep. Rio, the rescue, from the slammer dog.
He better not get too comfy. There are critters to chase,cattle and people to bark at as we drive by.
We have 2 more elk hunts here in the next 2 months and a deer hunt.
Then it's back to isolation. House Arrest in No Man's Land, with a nice fire and hopefully a full freezer.
Rio can sleep.

Not retired, but doing time with a dog or my case dogs, does make a difference . God Bless all the "Rio's" in the world. I love them.

Interesting and thought provoking question. As much as I love the west and Alaska, given the parameters, I would have to say right here. I live in rural, southwest Pa, minutes from great trout fishing, whitewater rafting and skiing. I could hunt from my deck if I wanted but my property borders a farm which borders several thousand acres of state game land so I have lots or room to roam. I work remotely more days than I have to go in and could probably go 100% remote if I had to. I have deer in the yard as I type this and heard turkeys going to roost on the hillside last night. There's an abundance of small game too. I just wish the weather here was better but I guess you can't have everything.

Yes, there's maybe one in WA, definitely one in ID, and probably one in MT and WY. The only one my family would go for is the ID one.

Back