MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hot weather elk hunting?

S13tsilvia

Based in Australia and looking for some help on narrowing down states that allow elk hunting (rifle) that isn't going to be in freezing cold / snow conditions, watching some of Randys videos, places like Nevada and New Mexico seem to stand out as being on the warmer side?
This is a bit of a long term plan as i want to buy points each year and then cash them in about 3 years time for my 40th birthday.
I am not fussed about what unit etc i would theoretically draw with 3 points and so on, its more about not hunting in freezing cold weather etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Josh

in 2017 I hunted a unit (otc) in western Colorado, Temps in the day were 95, at night I think it got down to 48. This was opening week low country 5500 to 6800 feet of elevation. We lucked out and found a local that wanted elk off his property. Ran outta time and never punched a tag. Did end up getting into elk thanks to the guy letting us hunt. Saw rattle snakes on the trail too. Any country in September can get cold but you won't freeze with the right gear. That's Archery season tho, I'm sure rifle in October could be totally different weather. GOOD LUCK!

i wouldn't rule it out completely but if it can be avoided lol... mind you I hound hunt sambar deer over here in temps down to zero deg celcius and think nothing of jumping into a river to cross it and stay wet and cold all day haha

Buy PP’s in CO for 2 years, then get a Sept muzzleloader tag.
Buy PP’s in WY for 2 years, then get a Aug/Sep Type 4 (cow/calf) rifle tag with a pretty high success rate
Buy a transferable NM landowner tag (expensive).
While you are buying PP’s, shoot for the moon on a NM rifle elk hunt, since it’s a random draw and there’s a chance you could draw it.
NV is not really a shorter term strategy, as it takes a long time to draw a tag.
UT has some early hunts but you are looking at spike tags, muzzleloader, and/or very difficult to hunt areas.
AZ has some great tags, but will take more than 3 years to obtain. There are some easy to get tags, but in areas very hard to find elk.
Archery in most (all?) elk states starts Aug/Sep and increases your options tenfold.

You could also opt for a reduced price cow tag in Wyoming , random draw, and some areas open in Aug and early Sept. No PP for a reduced price cow tag.

Just remember if you are hunting in warmer weather, you must have a plan to get the meat out before it spoils; that means either skinned, deboned and iced, or horses/ATVs to a processor within hours. Also, no evening hunts unless you can process an animal by headlamp. It will be spoiled by morning. That's the joy of cold weather; much easier to keep the meat fresh.

Thanks fellas, appreciate the replies.
If I am spending the coin to travel over from Australia i am only looking at stags, not interested in does / spikes. I also will be looking for rifle season only, don't do archery or muzzleloading.
Fair point on the meat spoiling part and needs to definately be considered.
So much information to try and process and can be a bit overwhelming!

cheers

With those criteria I would build points in CO for a few years and hunt 1st rifle. Depending on the elevation and luck you MIGHT have pretty mild weather in the first part of Oct. It’s a relatively simple process and not terribly expensive.

Another strategy which offers some quality hunts, but may take longer, cost more, but has options for even milder weather is to apply every year in NM and build points in AZ. Eventually you will either draw a NM tag through luck, or have enough AZ points to start throwing your hat in that ring to draw there. If you somehow drew both tags the same year, you can return the AZ tag with some stipulations (see info on AZ G&F website). You’ll likely spent hundreds in application fees, qualifying licenses to apply, credit card convenience fees, etc, and may take several years, and not know exactly which year you’ll draw, but it will still be cheaper than buying a NM landowner tag. Check out toprut for draw odds for units in both states so you know what you’re your target tags are. Know that in Nov/Dec at higher elevations in those states can be cold and snowy, but some hunts are earlier in the season and/or lower elevations.

If you really just want to get out and hunt and don’t care about facing silly low success rates, OTC tags in AZ or UT can be an option.

If you’ve got plenty of $$$ to spend, LO NM tag, or even TX, and you can know when you’ll be going and don’t have to worry about figuring out a draw.

Thanks @ElkFever2
Question for you, if you manage to draw a tag for a unit, can you then hire a guide/outfitter to take you into that spot?
i have been tossing up going with an outfitter as well, in reality coming from Australia with a 2 week window to hunt which includes doing the licence testing and is going to cost a minimum 5-10k and i want to take an animal, guide costs seem to be between 5-7k so may go down that path.

Will keep researching....

Question for you, if you manage to draw a tag for a unit, can you then hire a guide/outfitter to take you into that spot?
The short answer is no. There are some exceptions, but generally speaking you need to book in advance based on what you anticipate you will draw. In most states outfitters are licensed, and are assigned a particular geographical area they can guide in. This prevents guides from hunting on top of one another on public and private land. If you book with the outfitter and don’t draw, typically your deposit is good for a future year’s hunt. One good way to get more info is to contact a particular outfitter in an area you want to hunt in, and ask about what prep you need to do in terms of buying PP’s etc as it relates to the booking process.

Mate you shouldn't avoid any area because of the weather, just prepare for it should it come, I've done 4 visits to Montana end of October, 1st time snow and -23c, but didn't see a snow flake on the other visits.
Oh, and you don't need an outfitter, just research and some good friends on here to point you in the right direction.
Take on board because of your age you might need to do the hunters education course.
Finally watch ALL of @Big Fin Elk hunting video's!
Cheers
Richard

Down here in Southern New Mexico the first rifle hunt is at the tail end of the rut. You can buy a trophy hunt during the peak of the rut from the Mescalero (expensive). You can also get a reseaonable deal for a horseback hunt in the Gila wilderness. The nights are usually just above freezing (up higher) but the days are very comfortable. Of course anything can happen in the mountains if you go high enough. Plenty of lowland elk to hunt here though. There is no point system here for DIY public land hunts...but then if you are the lucky sort, you may want to roll the dice for a better unit. :cool:

good call, just bought a deer and elk preference point. might play the long game and get a few years up my sleeve!
Good idea. You might get hit with 'point creep' which means even if you have 3 points you might not be able to draw a WY General elk tag. It took 2 points this year if you applied in the special draw. Its a bit of a bummer really, when i started applying for tags you could buy a WY General elk tag as a second choice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back