Horses kill Mt Lion

I always chuckle when I see "lion killed by dog, or horse, or hiker" Its always a same, a kitten. While yes a couple horses can kill a lion if they kick it right and even hounds can kill a lion by stretching it. But a mature male or female lion, especially a big 175 plus tom, will kill whatever it wants. Big bulls, horses, mule, literally whatever it wants, and they do so at a rate of about 1 a week. Other than a grizz it has no natural enemy, and I think even a grizz feels there are better things to do than play with the nice putty cat.

I always chuckle when I see "lion killed by dog, or horse, or hiker" Its always a same, a kitten. While yes a couple horses can kill a lion if they kick it right and even hounds can kill a lion by stretching it. But a mature male or female lion, especially a big 175 plus tom, will kill whatever it wants. Big bulls, horses, mule, literally whatever it wants, and they do so at a rate of about 1 a week. Other than a grizz it has no natural enemy, and I think even a grizz feels there are better things to do than play with the nice putty cat.
Just think of how a little house cat can tear you up.

Remember the guy who was attacked up near Ft. Collins a couple years ago? That was a kitten. He killed it, but not before it sliced him up enough to earn him a hospital visit.

I would bet those horses needed some medical help. Mt lions kill moose, actually several a year and moose are not an easy victim. I am a little surprised at how the cat got in but could not get out. Chances are he came in over the top of the stall and would have jumped "down" onto the back. Interesting.

I see a common denominator going on here.
"...horses kick..."
Horses can also "strike" with their front hoofs and much more accurately than with a kick or their back hoofs (hooves?)!
I've seen a horse defend himself from a BIG Rotweiller. He rolled that dog several times before I could separate them.
Sheep and goat people run donkeys or burros with their herds. Between kicking, pawing and biting, coyotes don't stand a chance.

I see a common denominator going on here.
"...horses kick..."
Horses can also "strike" with their front hoofs and much more accurately than with a kick or their back hoofs (hooves?)!
I've seen a horse defend himself from a BIG Rotweiller. He rolled that dog several times before I could separate them.
Sheep and goat people run donkeys or burros with their herds. Between kicking, pawing and biting, coyotes don't stand a chance.

This is true. I have seen horses and mules kill coyotes. However I have also been in cougar country with horses and as has been previously mentioned the only way this could have happened without horses also being injured was because it was young. Also, I have had horses all my life and my father would skin me alive if a stall was not cleaned daily and all that did not come from one horse in one day. Plus that cat has been laying there for a few days. I would have been ashamed to have posted that picture on instragram

That little bitty lion could have starved away from it's mother or had distemper. In fact that's more likely than a horse killing it.

But oh it's from the Meateater, so it must be true!395869_388869197794349_1012871940_n.jpg
Maybe Steve could put a storyline to this photo.

My dad was a horseshoer.
He was called to shoe a mule. He stepped into the pen, slipped a halter over the mules nose. When he reached up to buckle the halter, the world went dark!
The mule had pawed him on the top of his head.

My point being that too many people discount the danger of a horses front end.
The rear end of a horse isn't necessarily the most "dangerous" end.

Good thing there wasn't a butterfly or plastic bag in those corrals else the cat would have had a chance!

I love horses, but am still always amazed at how such powerful animals who have been removed from being preyed upon for so many generations, can still have such a strong prey fear. A friend's huge draft horse was literally afraid of butterflies.

Maybe related to our human fears of spiders or mice or in my case ticks!

A rancher here found a tom laying dead in his pasture a month or so back. And the game dept came and got it and said it looked like a cow had kicked its head in. I didn't see it or anything so idk if it was true or not🤷‍♂️

My point being that too many people discount the danger of a horses front end.
The rear end of a horse isn't necessarily the most "dangerous" end.
Them chompers too, they can bite on the back, whip it up and down and snap the spine, seen a stallion do that to a colt in a video.

Make no mistake, livestock "can" be dangerous.
A neighbor had a calf someone gave him. He raised "Moo" as a pet. I told him that wasn't a "real" good idea.
When "Moo" got out and began breeding the other neighbors select Simmental brood cows he used to sell replacement and show heifers, he finally got rid of "Moo"! LOL!

Them chompers too, they can bite on the back, whip it up and down and snap the spine, seen a stallion do that to a colt in a video.
A friend of mine, when we were about 8 or 9 years old, walked by a hitch rail when a docile old mare my dad plowed with picked him up by the shoulder, shook him like a rag doll and dropped him. No broken bones, no broken skin, but we stayed the hell away from the hitch rail from then on! 😳!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back