Hornady Bullet Comparator

WVmike

I have been reloading for a little over a year and my buddy the other day gave me his Hornady Bullet Comparator since he stopped reloading. Does anyone else use one of these and from reading up on different techniques to use for more repeatable results, they are fairly useful with precise measurements over just measuring the overall allowable length. Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but plan on doing so soon.

I diy something like that, but oal is often determined by the magazines of rifles I like.

I just started using one the last couple years and it does make it easier to get precise measurements.

I just got one of these the other day. I’ve just been measuring COAL over the years up to this point and am very careful to keep them all within a couple thousandths of an inch. I measured a bunch of 7mm berger vld’s id previously loaded without the comparator, and the base-ogive varied up to 10 thousands. Not terrible, but I definitely want better. It’ll be a nice tool to have.

Been reloading well over 50 yrs now and find little use for many of the tools they bring out. I use the magazine well or lands in the barrel to determine seating the bullet. Thing I think most don't think of is most of us are looking for hunting loads, not competation loads. Over those years I've had several rifles that I got 1/2" groups with. More than needed for a hunting rifle and in a competative rifle won't win you much gold! For myself I don't think a couple thousands difference in OLL makes much difference so long as the longest one fits without touching the lands. Knew of a couple other guy's that liked the bullet touching, their choice.

Been reloading well over 50 yrs now and find little use for many of the tools they bring out. I use the magazine well or lands in the barrel to determine seating the bullet. Thing I think most don't think of is most of us are looking for hunting loads, not competation loads. Over those years I've had several rifles that I got 1/2" groups with. More than needed for a hunting rifle and in a competative rifle won't win you much gold! For myself I don't think a couple thousands difference in OLL makes much difference so long as the longest one fits without touching the lands. Knew of a couple other guy's that liked the bullet touching, their choice.
I agree that it's really not necessary for most hunting loads

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back