Hopeful for an Elk Licence, and looking for input.

JC3

Good morning all, I am brand new to this site and looking for some input. Going into the elk draw this year I have 12 Points,(resident) with that said I applied for Unit 61 first rifle bull. Depending on the craziness that is going on right now and how many people will or will not be dumping points this year I am hopeful to draw this tag, looks like about 85% chance. I have not been in 61 since 2017 when I drew a bear license. We hunted mainly around Windy Point off the divide road and hunted down hill towards Nucla. This was a mid September hunt and we were seeing elk in almost every draw that we glassed for bear. My question is, is this a good place to start 2nd week of October or for anyone that has hunted this in recent years is there a better place to start. If I am successful in the drawing I plan to spend as much time as possible scouting this summer and fall leading up to the season. Any information would be great and much appreciated, hope you all stay safe and well.
Thanks,
JC
Picture is of the bear from 2017. 16 year old dry sow, hardly any teeth left in her head!IMG_0564.JPG

Welcome, watch Randy’s 3rd season hunt down there on YouTube, it’s a great show and very informative. Good luck with your planning.

Reactions: JC3
My buddy had that tag last year and I went along to help him out. Divide Road was a circus in 1R, and there were tons of dudes zipping up and down the trails on ATVs just road hunting. I was absolutely shocked by the number of people who burned a whole bunch of points in a great unit just to hunt from the seat. My advice is to get down and away from the road and trails look into some nastier stuff to find elk. We packed meat all day on the opener and didn't hear another shot the whole time, it was not what I expected. We hunted a little north of Windy Point, it seems like the worst crowding started about there and continued north along Divide. You've already hunted there so you're familiar with the terrain. Good luck on your elk hunt!

Reactions: JC3
My buddy had that tag last year and I went along to help him out. Divide Road was a circus in 1R, and there were tons of dudes zipping up and down the trails on ATVs just road hunting. I was absolutely shocked by the number of people who burned a whole bunch of points in a great unit just to hunt from the seat. My advice is to get down and away from the road and trails look into some nastier stuff to find elk. We packed meat all day on the opener and didn't hear another shot the whole time, it was not what I expected. We hunted a little north of Windy Point, it seems like the worst crowding started about there and continued north along Divide. You've already hunted there so you're familiar with the terrain. Good luck on your elk hunt!

I appreciate the advise Luke! I will absolutely be down off the divide in the "crap". Most all of the bulls we seen bear hunting were lower in the canyons where most people don't want to go. We were fortunate enough to take 4 bears on that trip, so I know all about the packing all day! Do you have a picture of the bull your buddy got? To be honest a good solid 6 point is what I'm after, a 300" bull would just tickle me to death!

This is the one he shot, there were 3 other bulls in the canyon that were much bigger, but this one came in to 75 yds and he couldn't resist. You should have no problem finding a nice bull..
iE034NHrRbST9yZ%Jw3FOg.jpg
I appreciate the advise Luke! I will absolutely be down off the divide in the "crap". Most all of the bulls we seen bear hunting were lower in the canyons where most people don't want to go. We were fortunate enough to take 4 bears on that trip, so I know all about the packing all day! Do you have a picture of the bull your buddy got? To be honest a good solid 6 point is what I'm after, a 300" bull would just tickle me to death!

Hmmm, a little orange cord to keep him from rolling down the hill, eh? Nice bull.(y)

Ha, pictures never due justice to the steepness of a slope, you could pick that paracord like a guitar string! That carcass took off when we were done quartering and cut the cord, it cartwheeled probably 100 yards to the bottom of the hill, very impressive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back