Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Lrhxr9

We opted to go for a new sxs over the current honda foreman we had. The foreman was a tad small for the wife and I and the 2 boys. We have put a few accessories on it. I was going to share one that i found to be an absolute must that none of my friends had seen. It is a siezmik bed extender. https://seizmik.com/product/cargo-x10d-bed-extender-pioneer-1000-5-and-700-4/
It has been irreplaceable for us. It adds way more room to the bed.

Attachments

• AE16376D-F093-47BF-937D-4C9012CCF2E0.jpeg
    AE16376D-F093-47BF-937D-4C9012CCF2E0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 356C93FD-9496-4B07-9E16-6C32C37E4DE6.jpeg
    356C93FD-9496-4B07-9E16-6C32C37E4DE6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
Love my 1000-5! Like most things in life, it’s the upgrades that kill you! Lots of the. On mine, but no bed extender YET. Have new Hi-Lifter front a-arms ordered to accommodate the 30” tires I just put on it.
2281BFE3-C1D8-49D5-AD25-885F47BECCE9.jpeg

Whatd you do to your plastics? And i wanted some different tires and same size wheels all the way around but it wasnt in the budget. We use ours like a jeep as we only live a couple miles out of the MO river bottoms. Have you seen the windjammer screen for the back that “supposedly” helps with the dust rolling in the back?

The doors were too low to effectively use as arm rests, so I Jerry rigged and extension on them so they are higher. I’ve got a plexiglass partition between the front seats and the rear bed / seats, and that keeps most of the dust from coming into the front cabin.

28” tires you can probably get away with and not need any suspension mods. But for 29” or 30”, you’ll either need a lift or new front a-arms that shift the wheels forward a couple of inches. Otherwise you’ll get fender rubbing on the back of the fender well. Really bad when braking going downhill. There’s plenty of top clearance, just not enough clearance on the backside of the front fenders.

Love my 1000-5! Like most things in life, it’s the upgrades that kill you! Lots of the. On mine, but no bed extender YET. Have new Hi-Lifter front a-arms ordered to accommodate the 30” tires I just put on it.
View attachment 135921
Do u plan to install the a arms your self? I will be curious if you do to know how it was. And next time i buy tires i want to try some tread pattern like yours. I think they would ride a little quieter on the road than the bighorns.

I very much like the idea of the bed extender for use on my 700-4, but I'm too cheap to spend $400 on one. Though with the pics I may have to see if I can fab something up to function similarly. I opted for the 700-4 as I like that it can seat 4 and not be very big, but one does lose nearly all bed space with using the 4 seats.

Do u plan to install the a arms your self?
Yes, I will install them myself. It’s a lot of work because you basically have to disassemble the entire front wheel attachment assembly, but it’s pretty straightforward. Several good videos on YouTube showing how.

I ordered them with with ball joints already attached since I don’t have a tool for pressing them in/out and the “hammer” method results in damaging the ball joints at least 50% of the time, which would result in buying new ball joints anyhow. I’ll let you know how it goes.

The doors were too low to effectively use as arm rests, so I Jerry rigged and extension on them so they are higher. I’ve got a plexiglass partition between the front seats and the rear bed / seats, and that keeps most of the dust from coming into the front cabin.

28” tires you can probably get away with and not need any suspension mods. But for 29” or 30”, you’ll either need a lift or new front a-arms that shift the wheels forward a couple of inches. Otherwise you’ll get fender rubbing on the back of the fender well. Really bad when braking going downhill. There’s plenty of top clearance, just not enough clearance on the backside of the front fenders.
Hey we rode the pioneer to the creek so the boys could throw rocks in the creek. I forgot we also bought a set of pbr cupholders and up-fitter switches. Here is a pic and link. They are located here in MO.
They also have blockoff plates if u dont use all the switches when you first install.
53195BF5-1256-4BF4-A92F-8F6F07E0CFA0.jpeg3053E7C6-02F1-4789-BEAA-CD99FAF21AA5.jpeg

I loved the 1000-5 but when i was at the dealer, the salesman mentioned they did not have a low range which kept me from purchasing. I live in CO and would be wheeling steep grades that require long low speed crawls. Where you guys wheeling these and what are your experiences?

Not sure what they meant by that, but it does have a low range. See picture below. Some people claim it's not low enough @ 47:1 engine to wheel ratio. But unless you are doing serious rock crawling on 30-45 degree inclines or towing more than the thing is rated for, I think it's sufficient. This thing is "sport utility", not pure sport, so certain compromises are expected. Yes, RZR's and similar full "sport" SxS's will outperform it in extreme conditions. But they don't have much "utility" beyond that, and I don't see many people hauling game or supplies around in those. It's really a matter of how you plan to use it.
1587420623321.png

We use ours like a jeep. Ride on the gravel alot. When i check deer cameras we have one that has a steep enough grade that i put the machine in low. 4x4 and dif locked. Its steep. That is the only place i could have used a gear that was even remotely lower.

Hi Guys,

Bit late to this thread, but curious your experience with the Pioneer 1000 on rough forest roads, washboard and potholes?

Being more on the "utility" side of the sxs field, how stiff is it compared to a truck, other sxs you've tried etc.?

Thanks,

S

That’s mostly what I use mine for. I take it places that I wouldn’t take my 4Runner. I have the 2018 1000-5 LE, and it’s much better on really rough roads than the 4Runner. The LE has the beefed up suspension with Fox shocks, so that probably helps. It’s not a Razr so I don’t try to drive it like one, but works well for my purposes which tend to be utility and getting into places I don’t want to take my truck.

Yes it is exactly for taking places you wouldn’t want to take your truck. My use is a bit different, being used for waterfowl hunting and driving onto corn/soybean fields, around farm ponds, etc where I’d be SOL if my truck got stuck in the mud or got a flat on a soybean stalk.
I love my machine, very reliable and cranks right up even after sitting for a few months. Tough to beat a Honda ATV/UTV in my opinion

Hi Guys,

Bit late to this thread, but curious your experience with the Pioneer 1000 on rough forest roads, washboard and potholes?

Being more on the "utility" side of the sxs field, how stiff is it compared to a truck, other sxs you've tried etc.?

Thanks,

S
I have the 3seater LE and it has 7000miles on it! Its saved so much vehicle wear and tear that its paid for itself, plus i get places i would never dream of squeezing even my 4runner into. The pioneers are a amazing and quality vehicle if your thinking about one just do it, doubt you would regret it. Plus makes great meat wagonIMG_20181016_170321943.jpg

I am starting to research side by side options and am curious how you guys decided on the Honda Pioneer over a Polaris ranger or other similar models by other brands. I believe Honda makes great products so I’m not questioning its a great machine, I’m just looking for pros and cons of different models. I would primarily be using it on gravel roads or two track trails where I dont want to take my long box diesel pickup.

Awesome, thanks guys!! Yes, sounds like you all have similar goals and uses as I’d have and that the Pioneer 3 seater fits the bill.

I’d spend the most time using it around the property, hauling feed, moving things etc., but certainly want to be able to use it for easier forest/BLM road access. Glad to hear i can get enough rough road comfort out of the Pioneer to not have to consider a Talon as that’d sacrifice a lot more on the property.

s

Last edited:
I've got a 2021 1000-5. I took it up all manner of bad last summer/hunting season.

I have never driven a Talon, and they look badass, but my Pioneer went up the roughest roads around here, which are some of the roughest in Montana, with little to no problem. Comfort on the badness is certainly no worse than the rzrs I've driven, partially because I feel like you sit up in the Pioneer and see what you're driving better.

A stock 1000 Pioneer has 12.7 inches of ground clearance and a stock 1000 rzr has 14. The Talon has 13 - a third of an inch more than the Pioneer. I look at my Pioneer as a primarily recreational rig that is capable of utility work.

If you do decide on one. You better get in line now. You might get one by summer. It took me a few months of checking every day and calling every place in a 3 state area. Good luck!

1613319447257.png

I am starting to research side by side options and am curious how you guys decided on the Honda Pioneer over a Polaris ranger or other similar models by other brands. I believe Honda makes great products so I’m not questioning its a great machine, I’m just looking for pros and cons of different models. I would primarily be using it on gravel roads or two track trails where I dont want to take my long box diesel pickup.
The main selling point for us was the fact you could seat 5 adults in it and keep the same frame length. Ive heard complaints about the back seats and debris falling down and whatnot. Its a utility vehicle. Its going to get dirty. I also like no belts and the fact i can put it in auto or shift gears if i want. I looked at alot of them. We cut wood and hunt and live on a farm. It gets used. Plain and simple. Zero issues here with the machine. We have around 1500 miles on it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back