Honda Pioneer 1000-5

I've got a 2021 1000-5. I took it up all manner of bad last summer/hunting season.

I have never driven a Talon, and they look badass, but my Pioneer went up the roughest roads around here, which are some of the roughest in Montana, with little to no problem. Comfort on the badness is certainly no worse than the rzrs I've driven, partially because I feel like you sit up in the Pioneer and see what you're driving better.

A stock 1000 Pioneer has 12.7 inches of ground clearance and a stock 1000 rzr has 14. The Talon has 13 - a third of an inch more than the Pioneer. I look at my Pioneer as a primarily recreational rig that is capable of utility work.

If you do decide on one. You better get in line now. You might get one by summer. It took me a few months of checking every day and calling every place in a 3 state area. Good luck!

View attachment 173995
Thanks again for the input Bret.

Yes, the local dealer just put in their order trying to get as many as they can for June delivery. Already have people putting down deposits.

I am starting to research side by side options and am curious how you guys decided on the Honda Pioneer over a Polaris ranger or other similar models by other brands. I believe Honda makes great products so I’m not questioning its a great machine, I’m just looking for pros and cons of different models. I would primarily be using it on gravel roads or two track trails where I dont want to take my long box diesel pickup.

I have been as well, so far the huge selling point for me is that the Pioneer is a shaft drive and the many of the other utility SxSs are belt driven.

I have been as well, so far the huge selling point for me is that the Pioneer is a shaft drive and the many of the other utility SxSs are belt driven.
Yes. That was a big point for me. It is nice to not have to ride the brakes down a steep hill, just let the low gear transmission do the work. I also liked it had more factory ground clearance (at least in 2017) than Polaris. I also read wide variability on Polaris experiences- some awful with malfunctions and some that love them. I already had good experiences with Honda atv and dirt bikes so stayed with the brand and really happy I did. The Yamaha was another one I seriously looked at.

The main selling point for us was the fact you could seat 5 adults in it and keep the same frame length. Ive heard complaints about the back seats and debris falling down and whatnot. Its a utility vehicle. Its going to get dirty. I also like no belts and the fact i can put it in auto or shift gears if i want. I looked at alot of them. We cut wood and hunt and live on a farm. It gets used. Plain and simple. Zero issues here with the machine. We have around 1500 miles on it.
^^^^ this. Seemed to have the right balance of sport and utility. Being able to easily convert the rear seat into a dump bed sealed the deal. I don’t need the rear seat often, but it’s nice to have it when I do.

Gotta hedge my bets. 😜

If I was going the EV route, I’d get one of these...
The Polaris came up first on Google. Bet you could really sneak up on stuff with a lectric sxs. mtmuley

Very capable rig. We’ve had ours in some very rough country here in MT as well as Moab. Unstoppable in all kinds of conditions. Bone stock. Hauls kids, elk, feed, rock, wood, all like it’s not even there. Heavier loads require a dump bed assist but still beats unloading by hand. I bought chains when we bought it just because I’m not one to wait to buy them when we need them and they are still in the bag unopened after driving in snow deep enough that I’d have stuck the truck.

The pioneers seem to be real hard to find in my area at the moment, while the Polaris Rangers are for sale all over the place. Anyone had good or bad experiences with the Ranger ?

My buddy has owned a utv/atv dealership for many years. Sells just about all brands. We just had this conversation. Polaris probably makes the vehicle with the best ride, speed, most options. But with those extras comes repairs (a lot depends on the abuse). He said as far as reliability, it’s hard to go wrong with a Kawasaki mule pro or the Honda.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back