Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hogs? I'm on the hunt for a real pig hunt

Fly in to San Antonio and then it’s 2 hours south +/-
https://www.ybarranch.com/about,
I know lot of ranches that do hog and nilgai hunts , most hunting is done sitting in a blind .
some places use a night vision scope as the really big trophies are nocturnal ,

sorry Hem had a rough trip down here, 99% of us Texan are not
jackass’s , though it sounds like two met when hem came ;);)
its a long trip just for hogs, Tilden is close to lake choke canyon
so look @ doing a meat haul catfish trip one day or maybe a turkey hunt. A redfish and trout trip Marcos does both fishing and hogs turkeys
need any help please let me know
Hey thank you.
Yeah , I take the blame . The ranch we hunted is considered a top notch whitetail outfit. They offered hog hunts after their deer season. Place was a ghost town. Guide was burned out.
Hunted feeders and night time elevated stands. The three of us quickly figured out there simply were not any hogs. In our boredom we all individually wandered out away from our designated spots, none of us saw any significant tracks or sign.
Long drive.
Like to do it again sometime.

Hey thank you.
Yeah , I take the blame . The ranch we hunted is considered a top notch whitetail outfit. They offered hog hunts after their deer season. Place was a ghost town. Guide was burned out.
Hunted feeders and night time elevated stands. The three of us quickly figured out there simply were not any hogs. In our boredom we all individually wandered out away from our designated spots, none of us saw any significant tracks or sign.
Long drive.
Like to do it again sometime.
I hear you, it’s a long year when you are a guide, hogs are just something to help pay the bills in the off season, and down here depends upon location but leaving a stand is frowned upon as
we got loads of illegal aliens and cartel mules near the border ( thanks Brandon :rolleyes:)

but any way yall come on down and have some fun fishing and hunting 😀

Last edited:
Thanks.
I have lived in MT for 70 years and never been out of the state 'sept 3 weeks in AK, fishing. I have NO IDEA
I’ve only been in Montana for a week but I don’t think I’d ever leave .

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but it is only an opinion.

There are definitely places where hunting hogs may be easier than others. I've hunted them in several mainland states, with and without dogs, with and without feeders, with and without fences, with bows, guns, spears and knives. I've hunted them free range on the big island Hawaii with and without dogs (guns and knives) and the Hawaiian island of Niihau without dogs (rifle spot and stalk). I've also hunted two species of wild pigs in Africa, in and out of fences, with and without dogs (rifles), as well as Argentina and Australia. I have a decent amount of experience, but I don't live in hog territory so my experience is limited compared to a guy in Texas or Florida who lives and breathes hogs.

Here's my two cents: If wild pigs have thick cover to retreat to and live in, a legit hunt can happen on a small amount of acreage, even with a high fence. Pigs have poor eyesight, but if they are hunted, the big ones aren't dumb, they can smell well and can get pretty tough to kill if they have a good amount of thick brush.

I love killing pigs. There is something about them that makes it not get old killing them. I didn't have an itch to kill a mountain lion until a decade after my first one. I'd only shoot two elk a year probably. If I shot a hog at noon, I'd be ready to shoot three more by 12:15pm.

Last edited:
The last pig hunt two of us drove to Northern California. I just had sold my house and said screw it, pay for a better hunt than the previous debacle.
This hunt was amazing. The guide quickly realized we were woods savy and fully capable of looking after ourselves. He dropped us off in the morning for spot and stalk hunting in hill country covered with oaks. Right up our alley so to speak.
We both shot pigs. Outfitter had a couple thousand acres leased so there was plenty of room. Those Russian boars were pretty cool.

The last pig hunt two of us drove to Northern California. I just had sold my house and said screw it, pay for a better hunt than the previous debacle.
This hunt was amazing. The guide quickly realized we were woods savy and fully capable of looking after ourselves. He dropped us off in the morning for spot and stalk hunting in hill country covered with oaks. Right up our alley so to speak.
We both shot pigs. Outfitter had a couple thousand acres leased so there was plenty of room. Those Russian boars were pretty cool.
If I ever hunt hogs this would be the place I like to do it.

I love killing pigs. There is something about them that makes it not get old killing them. I didn't have an itch to kill a mountain lion until a decade after my first one. I'd only shoot two elk a year probably. If I shot a hog at noon, I'd be ready to shoot three more by 12:15pm.
Same here. It isn’t the most glamorous hunting ever — you aren’t going to end up with a beautiful trophy or even a grand story to tell around the campfire. But real still-hunting for hogs is about the purest form of hunting I’ve ever done.

However … for the OP doing his first-ever hog hunt, that probably isn’t the best place to start. For a first hunt I’d recommend finding a legit outfitter who knows where the hogs will be on his property. He’ll set you up in a blind or stand, the feeder will go off, and you’ll wait and wait and wait and wait and then finally some hogs will appear like magic. Pick out a medium-size one if you plan to eat the pork, and shoot it right behind the ear.

I do miss hog hunting.
Damn things were thick in SLO county for a while. Used to tear up the parks and landscaping in towns at night. Hunt them along the Salinas River. Small places were great to hunt.
Ranchers would pay $20 a head in Monterey county on the barely fields.
Now they get $1200 to hunt pigs, LOL.

I do miss hog hunting.
Damn things were thick in SLO county for a while. Used to tear up the parks and landscaping in towns at night. Hunt them along the Salinas River. Small places were great to hunt.
Ranchers would pay $20 a head in Monterey county on the barely fields.
Now they get $1200 to hunt pigs, LOL.

Used to have access to a couple of ranches down in San Benito County (in Paicines, California). Best hogs I ever ate off a green barley field!

88C6C789-DD2B-434A-83F7-B4892C529E97.jpeg

Back