Hogs? I'm on the hunt for a real pig hunt

Hey thank you.
Yeah , I take the blame . The ranch we hunted is considered a top notch whitetail outfit. They offered hog hunts after their deer season. Place was a ghost town. Guide was burned out.
Hunted feeders and night time elevated stands. The three of us quickly figured out there simply were not any hogs. In our boredom we all individually wandered out away from our designated spots, none of us saw any significant tracks or sign.
Long drive.
Like to do it again sometime.
We had the same experience last month hog hunting. No hogs or sign on the 1k+ acre property. We should have had a back up plan like we do when elk hunting. This was simply access to private property, no guide. Hog hunting can be an absolute blast if you are free to roam and spot & stalk. Combining with another species or fishing is a great idea…especially if driving for 20 hrs to get there.

Reactions: Hem
Hog hunting has been a curiosity of mine for some time now. I was mislead by the armies of folks talking about "hog problems" in the southeast and Texas into believing that there were places that would let just anyone and everyone come help "eradicate them". This just isn't true.. the hogs are a cash crop and are treated as such.

I follow an outfitter out of Oklahoma on Instagram that looks legit- https://www.wotohunts.com/ . Unlimited pigs, includes lodging @ $475/night

I have friends that have hunted with http://southernhogcontrol.net/ in GA and had a great experience @ $500/night (no accommodations)

I just came back from Florida afyer a hunt with God's Country Outfitters- https://www.godscountryoutfitters.net/ - and was successful @ $325/1 pig (No accommodations)

Edit: Attached Florida pig pics. 1) Make sure your AirBnb has a big freezer. 2) Freezer grade plastic wrap is wonderful enleiu of a vacuum sealer but does make you look like a serial killer

Attachments

• 20220314_233120.jpg
    20220314_233120.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220315_000312.jpg
    20220315_000312.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220315_202924.jpg
    20220315_202924.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I been hunting hogs for 30 some years in FL. We got them on our deer lease in AL but I dont target them. They are a shoot on sight species there. After 30 years of taking out experienced and inexperienced hunters for hogs I would recommend you hire a guide service on a private ranch. I would go to Texas if
i was from Montana. They got plenty of hogs and the weather probably wont be too bad if you don't go in the summer. They will have everything needed to get you a few hogs and help you get them into the cooler for the ride home. Best way to kill them in my opinion is in a stand or blind on a feeder.
We hunted them safari style when we was younger in FL. Basically driving around on atvs or a swamp buggy until we seen some or jumped them. That worked ok but we might see them or not.
As we got older we set up feeders and blinds and that was about 100% success. Now whether or not you consider that real hunting is up to you. But its dang sure fire way to kill em.

I been hunting hogs for 30 some years in FL. We got them on our deer lease in AL but I dont target them. They are a shoot on sight species there. After 30 years of taking out experienced and inexperienced hunters for hogs I would recommend you hire a guide service on a private ranch. I would go to Texas if
i was from Montana. They got plenty of hogs and the weather probably wont be too bad if you don't go in the summer. They will have everything needed to get you a few hogs and help you get them into the cooler for the ride home. Best way to kill them in my opinion is in a stand or blind on a feeder.
We hunted them safari style when we was younger in FL. Basically driving around on atvs or a swamp buggy until we seen some or jumped them. That worked ok but we might see them or not.
As we got older we set up feeders and blinds and that was about 100% success. Now whether or not you consider that real hunting is up to you. But its dang sure fire way to kill em.
The place I went in FL is real big into cell cams. Something like 25 of them on feeders across 10,000+ acres.

Our hunt was hanging out in a fancy lodge until after dark, then driving around some cow pastures looking for pigs, but mostly waiting for the cell cams to alert them to which feeder the pigs were at in the swamp. After finding a willing participant it was a fast race to the property they were on, then a long and slow stalk in the dark through the woods.

Sporting? Not really, but certainly seemed efficient

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back