MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

HMA question

This thread will probably be a 5 page Doug rant, but it should just be one post that says:

1. Read and understand the rules for the particular HMA
2. If you still have a question, call the nearest WGFD office

Blindly following contradicting advice on an internet forum is a recipe for disappointment.
This is true for so many threads on this forum.

If there are some public lands within the HMAs,can i hunt on those public lands without permission slip?
I have asked our regional access yes coordinator about this very topic, and was told that as long as the public land is legally accessible from outside of the HMA, you can hunt it without an HMA permit. However, I would still strongly recommend asking the regional access coordinator or game warden for yourself before following any advice on here. Also, there can be restrictions on state land that aren't necessarily mentioned in the HMA ranch rules. Pinto Creek HMA, as mentioned, above is a good example. Check out the state lands website.

Well if yer on the HMA you have the permission slip or better. I think what he is asking is if special permission is needed to hunt BLM or state land within HMA boundaries. Answer to that would still be no. State and BLM lands are generally included in the HMA if they are within the HMA boundaries. Another to add, national forest land will sometimes border an HMA. If that happens, you can access the NF land. Public land that borders an HMA does not require special permission to access.

No disrespect intended, but what you are really accomplishing is confusing people and starting to run this thread off the rail with meaningless argument.
To clarify, if you are crossing the HMA to access adjacent public land you DO need a permission slip.

And sometimes you DO need a permission slip to hunt legally accessible state land within an HMA. Pinto Creek and Duncan Ranch HMAs are examples of this, as already pointed out. Contact your local access coordinator, as previously pointed out....

All due respect Doug, but having people correct misinformation that may get people in trouble is not a “meaningless argument”.

Don't forget parking areas. I've always assumed HMAs with parking areas mean you HAVE to park in the parking area. Exceptions being parking off a publically acessible road in a HMA (off the road but within the easement in that case), or on public where a HMA access road leads to public within the HMA that wouldn't otherwise be accessible. I wouldn't go parking wherever off a private HMA access road. I think that would be a good way to piss off a landowner. The access roads almost always, or perhaps always go to a parking area or stop at a piece of public for good reason.

And yes, sometimes the rules on parking are inconvenient, but that's the price we pay when these folks are kind enough to allow us access.

I would say email Kelly Todd with your questions, he is the Laramie area Access Yes guy and was our GW until last fall. He knows the answers to all the questions posed on this thread. [email protected]
You have to have a permission slip to enter an HMA, if any public land can be access from a public road you can hunt them without an HMA slip unless the rules specifically state they are enrolled in the HMA. Parking along a public road is generally ok, interstate not as much, to access unless the rules state you must park in designated spots.
To access public lands adjacent to an HMA you have to have a permission slip for the HMA to go through to the public lands adjacent.

Carl, MTL, and bullbugle all have valid points and correct info. Sometimes thing get lost in translation so to speak.
Kelly is probably tired if my questions but he always has a pretty prompt answer.

If I can legally get to those "BLM lands" within the HMA, via other public lands or public road, I do not need a permission slip.
If I want to access BLM land and have to cross thru an HMA, as long as I am crossing the HMA on a public road, I do not need an HMA permission slip.

"And sometimes you DO need a permission slip to hunt legally accessible state land within an HMA. Pinto Creek and Duncan Ranch HMAs are examples of this, as already pointed out. Contact your local access coordinator, as previously pointed out.... "

As previously noted, Enrolled State Land is not "public land" in the same context as BLM land.

Last edited:
I have asked our regional access yes coordinator about this very topic, and was told that as long as the public land is legally accessible from outside of the HMA, you can hunt it without an HMA permit. However, I would still strongly recommend asking the regional access coordinator or game warden for yourself before following any advice on here. Also, there can be restrictions on state land that aren't necessarily mentioned in the HMA ranch rules. Pinto Creek HMA, as mentioned, above is a good example. Check out the state lands website.
100% accurate on this. For BLM contact regional office for BLM. Same routine on National Forest and State land call the regional NF office and for State Lands call State Lands and Investments office.

If the public or any landlocked private property is in the boundaries it will either be included in the HMA or it will show on the HMA map as restricted or closed. You can pass though closed areas most of the time but have to stay on the road and not hunt. Restricted areas sometimes you can't even enter so read ranch rules before you hunt.

I work for the state parks and helped G&F set some of the HMAs up and installed enough signage to know what you can do within the Hamas in general. Be aware that rules differ between each HMA so be sure that you read the ranch rules and know what your access is. Future access is dependent on all of us following those rules and respecting landowners property. Some HMAs were not renewed due to hunters damaging property, not packing trash out and leaving gates open. They also want you to pick up spent shells and cartridges on some.

Correct, that’s why I said state land specifically.
I would say email Kelly Todd with your questions, he is the Laramie area Access Yes guy and was our GW until last fall. He knows the answers to all the questions posed on this thread. [email protected]
You have to have a permission slip to enter an HMA, if any public land can be access from a public road you can hunt them without an HMA slip unless the rules specifically state they are enrolled in the HMA. Parking along a public road is generally ok, interstate not as much, to access unless the rules state you must park in designated spots.
To access public lands adjacent to an HMA you have to have a permission slip for the HMA to go through to the public lands adjacent.

Carl, MTL, and bullbugle all have valid points and correct info. Sometimes thing get lost in translation so to speak.
Kelly is probably tired if my questions but he always has a pretty prompt answer.
As Wytex says, call Todd who is the WGF Access Yes Coordinator or call (307) 777-4600 and ask for the Access Yes Coordinator or someone in that office. Rules for HMAs may vary and Todd will know them at least for the Laramie Region. The central office will answer for other regions.

As Wytex says, call Todd who is the WGF Access Yes Coordinator or call (307) 777-4600 and ask for the Access Yes Coordinator or someone in that office. Rules for HMAs may vary and Todd will know them at least for the Laramie Region. The central office will answer for other regions.

If you call (307) 777-4600 you will get the Cheyenne Headquarters Office. If you want to talk to Kelly Todd you will have to call the Laramie Regional Office (307)-745-4046, or better yet, use the email that wytex provided to contact Kelly.

ClearCreek

A little add-on to this, the permission slip must be species specific. I went through the ringer on this subject when I located a few nice mule deer bucks on public, adjacent to an HMA. Only access to the public was through the HMA. Had a permission slip for antelope, but permission slips for deer weren't available. I wanted to access the HMA with my antelope slip and hunt deer off the HMA. The kicker was traveling back through the HMA with a harvested deer. After consulting with G&F and a few others about the situation, I was asked if a 160 inch deer was worth the fight and potentially loosing that HMA. Nope.

A possible good thing, if the WYoming "land grab" as some call it goes though, that land will probably be opened to public access and solve a good chunk of access related issues with checkerboard public land areas. I went to a couple of the Governor's meetings on this and in general if money is found, I support the purchase pending more information about it. What I am hearing from the meetings and pressers is the state intends to provide public access to that land along with producing revenue from any resources that land provides.

If the Wyoming Governor pulls the trigger on the "land grab", it's going to open access to a lot of that landlocked land that yall complain regular about. After I attended a few meetings on it, I am all for that land grab at this time pending more information yet to come. I think it is going to happen. Even with our budget in shambles, we are told money is in the bank to buy it and returns to Wyoming will be almost immediate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back