HMA question

Tyler1215

I'm trying to get info the two HMAs for my area and the site appears to be down. Can someone tell me when I can apply? Thank you

I'm trying to get info the two HMAs for my area and the site appears to be down. Can someone tell me when I can apply? Thank you
Official opening July 13, 9 am. The HMA information is currently in process of being loaded into the database.
You can view the information and rules for each HMA as of 8:00 AM, July 6 (today) but you have to wait for the July 13th opening to apply.

Awesome I can see the info now. One question I have is do I have to access these areas from a "main entrance?" Or if I'm driving down the road and spot antelope within the hma can I just go after them?

If you have a gate and the road is listed on the map as open, answer is no you do not have to go to the main entrance. Check the maps. Accessible roads are usually marked on the HMA with white arrows on a metal fence post. Gates you are allowed to use are usually marked with an HMA sign but not always. If the road is shown on the map as open You MUST close all gates you go through even if you find them open unless the ranch owner has posted something telling you to keep them open or asks you personally. Be careful on restricted areas. Some of them don't even allow you to enter areas marked as restricted so you have to read the rules for each HMA. Print the printable map and look at it. The printable version has more info than what you see on the HMA page. The open roads are usually in green. The closed roads are identified with a red dot with a minus sign in the middle of it and sometimes shown on the map with a red dashed line.

Awesome I can see the info now. One question I have is do I have to access these areas from a "main entrance?" Or if I'm driving down the road and spot antelope within the hma can I just go after them?
And if you're not wanting to "drive" after it, obviously if there is unrestricted public access between the road you're on and the HMA (or if the road borders the HMA), you can always just get out and go on foot into the HMA. A lot of HMAs abut other public non-HMA lands so you may find yourself wandering in and out of an HMA all day long on foot.

You need to read the rules for the individual HMA. Pursuing wildlife in a motorized vehicle is illegal anywhere to start if that is what you mean. On some, such as FE Warren and Nimmo Ranch all hunting is on foot or horseback only. Now you can park as long as you do it safely without blocking the road and start your stalk on foot. Be sure of your maps because a lot of space on HMAs are marked "closed". In some HMAs, if it is wet or muddy, you are required to stay on the county roads. So read the rules for the HMA you hunt on. You also are not allowed to use your vehicle to drive to your downed animal even if it is close to the roads. In most HMAs, you must retrieve the carcass on foot or horseback. Be aware though that in some HMAs you can park only in designated parking areas marked on the map.

If there are some public lands within the HMAs,can i hunt on those public lands without permission slip?

If there are some public lands within the HMAs,can i hunt on those public lands without permission slip?
Yes, unless marked restricted or closed on the HMA map. No camping or fires though in most of them. Read the rules and look at the map available online.

Yes, unless marked restricted or closed on the HMA map. No camping or fires though in most of them. Read the rules and look at the map available online.

Not true. A couple examples - Pinto Creek (eastern half) and Duncan Ranch are nearly 100% state/BLM lands and you have to draw permission to hunt those HMAs. I would confirm with the Game and Fish before crossing into any HMA boundary to hunt, especially the ones you have to draw for access.

Depends, take the advice of Wy067 and contact the Game and Fish accessyes coordinator or game warden for the area.

WyoDoug is once again spreading misinformation that may lead to people getting in trouble and having access revoked from people breaking the HMA rules.

Not true. A couple examples - Pinto Creek (eastern half) and Duncan Ranch are nearly 100% state/BLM lands and you have to draw permission to hunt those HMAs. I would confirm with the Game and Fish before crossing into any HMA boundary to hunt, especially the ones you have to draw for access.
Like I said, READ the rules and the map. There are exceptions. You have to apply for and draw permissions to hunt on HMAs which differs from Wyoming "walk in areas". Some HMAs are unlimited, but some have a limited draw on them. You can't just walk onto an HMA and expect to be able to hunt. Written permission is required and you get that online. You have to display the permission slip on your dashboard or window too or get hit with trespassing ticket.

NOW, in response to your comment, if BLM or State land are bordering rather than INCLUDED in the HMA, different rules apply. IF you have permission to hunt on an HMA that borders that land AND that land is otherwise publicly accessible, you can certainly cross the HMA boundary to hunt on that land UNLESS otherwise prohibited by Game and Fish regulation. So it is wise to check with Game and Fish to make sure that State or BLM land is publicly accessible. MOST of the time it is. On state land you can generally hunt on it but not camp or have open fires BUT sometimes they are under an exclusive control lease which blocks access.

The poster asked if there is state land or BLM within the boundaries of the HMA he was hunting on if he could enter that land. Answer is yes unless it is posted otherwise in the rules, on the HMA map or on a sign. If there are rules blocking access to State or BLM land included within an HMA, it will be annotated on the HMA map and in the "ranch rules".

Another thing to add that you need to be careful on, make sure you are still in your hunting area that your license was issued for. Some HMAs straddle multiple hunt areas. You must hunt within the area your license is for. In my example, I will be doing antelope on Nimmo ranch. That HMA covers 34 and 38. My licenses are all for 34 so I will be hunting west of I-25 which runs through Nimmo Ranch. If you get caught hunting out of your designated hunt area defined by your hunting license, you will get a ticket if a warden catches you.

Last edited:
One thing I recommend even on HMAs is On-X maps. If you turn the hunt areas app on it will show the boundaries of the HMA. It will also show the state and public lands that are publicly accessible otherwise not considering they are land-locked. I will take my chances with On-X maps and always have it on my I-pad, cell phone AND Garmin GPS. It will also show you which lands bordering the HMA are accessible. If that is so, if there is a gate and/or road you can access bordering lands within your hunt area defined by your license.

This thread will probably be a 5 page Doug rant, but it should just be one post that says:

1. Read and understand the rules for the particular HMA
2. If you still have a question, call the nearest WGFD office

Blindly following contradicting advice on an internet forum is a recipe for disappointment.

Like I said, READ the rules and the map. There are exceptions. You have to apply for and draw permissions to hunt on HMAs which differs from Wyoming "walk in areas". Some HMAs are unlimited, but some have a limited draw on them. You can't just walk onto an HMA and expect to be able to hunt. Written permission is required and you get that online. You have to display the permission slip on your dashboard or window too or get hit with trespassing ticket.

NOW, in response to your comment, if BLM or State land are bordering rather than INCLUDED in the HMA, different rules apply. IF you have permission to hunt on an HMA that borders that land AND that land is otherwise publicly accessible, you can certainly cross the HMA boundary to hunt on that land UNLESS otherwise prohibited by Game and Fish regulation. So it is wise to check with Game and Fish to make sure that State or BLM land is publicly accessible. MOST of the time it is. On state land you can generally hunt on it but not camp or have open fires BUT sometimes they are under an exclusive control lease which blocks access.

The poster asked if there is state land or BLM within the boundaries of the HMA he was hunting on if he could enter that land. Answer is yes unless it is posted otherwise in the rules, on the HMA map or on a sign. If there are rules blocking access to State or BLM land included within an HMA, it will be annotated on the HMA map and in the "ranch rules".

The original question from Saddle was "If there are some public lands within the HMAs, can i hunt on those public lands without permission slip?" There's nothing in that question about entering public land bordering an HMA. It is a specific question about hunting within an HMA without a permission slip and you said "yes... but read the rules". Your answer is very misleading because there are areas where that's simply not true like I pointed out.

As BuzzH also stated, it depends. Don't get all offended just because I was trying to help the original poster by clarifying your original misleading response.

The original question from Saddle was "If there are some public lands within the HMAs, can i hunt on those public lands without permission slip?" There's nothing in that question about entering public land bordering an HMA. It is a specific question about hunting within an HMA without a permission slip and you said "yes... but read the rules". Your answer is very misleading because there are areas where that's simply not true like I pointed out.

As BuzzH also stated, it depends. Don't get all offended just because I was trying to help the original poster by clarifying your original misleading response.
Well if yer on the HMA you have the permission slip or better. I think what he is asking is if special permission is needed to hunt BLM or state land within HMA boundaries. Answer to that would still be no. State and BLM lands are generally included in the HMA if they are within the HMA boundaries. Another to add, national forest land will sometimes border an HMA. If that happens, you can access the NF land. Public land that borders an HMA does not require special permission to access.

No disrespect intended, but what you are really accomplishing is confusing people and starting to run this thread off the rail with meaningless argument.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back