Hiking stick

Sytes

How many use hiking stick(s)?
I saw Oak's pic's - seems each had him with one. Realizing the weight those packs were holding may be the reason... though who uses 'em... pro's con's? Your favorite type? Do you use as a form of shooting stick(s) as well?
What do you most/least like about them?

I am going to be with a bit less balance then norm and my hiking will be limited - though my rehab PT had me walking with two the other day to help get my body balance in my arm movement / hip movement working in tandem with my leg movement... I don't think I would be interested in two for a brief 3/4- max 2mile hike (hopefully if my location works the way planned) though seeing the pics with Oak and a couple other random Hunt Talkers using one in pic's has me thinking it might be a good investment.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I use a Stoney Point monopod Sytes. I have used it to shoot off once when I had time to extend it....sure beat offhand in that particular situation.

I started using them on my first trip to Alaska several years ago. Been using them ever since. Sure come in handy when you're hauling a heavy load. I feel much safer with them with a full pack on steep ground.

I used to think they were gay. Well now I'm gay :D They are a lifesaver when hiking in the rocks. With a heavy load or crossing streams, rock slides etc... they just help take being off balance out of the equation. Your legs don't have to use all their strength to just keep your balance.

I'll admit I haven't seen any in use while hunting in Montana but there hasn't been a single hunter in Alaska that I've passed by that hasn't been using a pair and many of them just use a single pole.

can't go wrong with them...super lightweight so you can just strap them to your pack when you don't need them. sure save a lot of wear and tear on the legs when going downhill...

Get'm. I have these, and they are allegedly the cat's ass

I've only used them 2 trips, but for off trail, up and downs, with 50+ on your back.. it's like heaven compared to without. Takes the pain off the knees on the downhills, helps you climb up hill, keeps your balance, etc. Turns you into a 4wheel drive spider instead of a creaky old man with sore knees.

Sure like them when packing out an anmal and any time I do not have bow/rifle in hand.

When I use them i like two a lot better than just one.

Last edited:
I've always taken one in the past. In the future I will have two with me. I think the ones with lever style locks are more reliable than the twist locks. The Pro's are everything mentioned above: better balance, less stress on your knees, etc. Really nice when crossing streams. I can't think of any cons. The extra 1 pound + of weight is far "outweighed" by the pro's.

I've always taken one in the past. In the future I will have two with me. I think the ones with lever style locks are more reliable than the twist locks.

I have usthe oath styles off/on for quite a few years - I'm with Oak in preferring the lever style locks over the twist style. Lever style locks are easier/faster to adjust and when you snap the lever shut it's tight and stays that way. I have had the twist locks slip because I didn't get them quite tight enough and when your hands are cold or wet and your sticks are the same they can be a real pain compared to lever style

With my back and knee issues from getting blown up in Iraq, it sounds like these will be beneficial in elk country come November. What's the proper way to measure the height for the handles for optimum efficiency?

With your arms at your sides lift your hands up until they are 90 dag.from your body. That's a good starting point. Steep up hill maybe a little shorter and steep down hill a little longer. We have been using them for the past month while training for unit 54 Col. My father in law feels its the best $30 we have spent. At 67 they really help him as mentioned.above. got them at backcountry edge. Com.

I've always taken one in the past. In the future I will have two with me. I think the ones with lever style locks are more reliable than the twist locks. The Pro's are everything mentioned above: better balance, less stress on your knees, etc. Really nice when crossing streams. I can't think of any cons. The extra 1 pound + of weight is far "outweighed" by the pro's.
100% agreement with this!

Go with Komperdell or Leki. I always use them for trail time getting into an area. I can collapse them and stick them in the pack when it's time to be stealth-ninja. The twist locks are OK, but require periodic cleaning.

A lot of people new to trekking poles do 2 things incorrectly:

1) Strap placement. The strap needs to go across the palm so when weight is put on the pole, it's the heel of the hand taking the weight. (A picture would describe this better than 1,000 words).

2) Pole plants. On flat or uphill terrain the pole should plant at the heel or behind it to propel you forward.

Last edited:
Go with Komperdell or Leki. I always use them for trail time getting into an area. I can collapse them and stick them in the pack when it's time to be stealth-ninja. The twist locks are OK, but require periodic cleaning.

A lot of people new to trekking poles do 2 things incorrectly:

1) Strap placement. The strap needs to go across the palm so when weight is put on the pole, it's the heel of the hand taking the weight. (A picture would describe this better than 1,000 words).

2) Pole plants. On flat or uphill terrain the pole should plant at the heel or behind it to propel you forward.

I've been doing it wrong, makes sense...good to know.

I cannot hardly walk without them anymore. I’ve been a pussy for many years:D

I usually use a taller pair of carbon ski poles when I do not have the need to collapse them. No locks to worry about. You can find them pretty cheap in the spring. I’ve actually wore a pair out. Ski poles do not have as long of a point past the basket as actual hiking poles.

Carbon poles are way lighter and quieter in rocks and such. Twist locks blow. You always have to check and recheck them.

If I’m gun hunting I usually have one out and another on my pack. They make a pretty decent shooting stick when needed. Easy to glass off of as well.

The anti shock things on some models/brands make them HEAVY. I’d personally skip that option.

The cheap ones from Walmart do not last very long.

Why walk when you can drive,I like an ATV. 4 wheel drive preferably.

^
Oh I only use them for walking between the tent and ATV. The truck and ATV or anyplace like that. Hiking is for hippies.

I use them for walking. But they are great here in WV fir knocking briars and brush out of way. Best part early n the year they are good snake getters.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back