Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Highway killed sheep

BRI

Thought it might be better to start a new discussion here. Those sheep frequently move back and forth across the highway and the FWP and local sportsmans group tore out the old barbed wire fence and created a more wildlife friendly fence ther this summer. This time of year the sheep are mainly licking the salt from the road. DOT said they've stopped salting the road but I'm guessing the sheep are either habituated to it or there is still residual salt on the surface of the road.

My comment was to put up a series of yellow flashing lights for a half mile stretch with sheep crossing signs. I think they have the signs too far away and most drivers have already forgotten the sign by the time they get to where the sheep usually are on the road surface.

Here's a couple other pics.

Attachments

• sheep 025 edited.jpg
    sheep 025 edited.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 374
  • sheep 026 edited.jpg
    sheep 026 edited.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 373
I think the signs are a good idea, maybe a lower posted speed limit as well. Tough to post it much lower than 55 though I suppose. But, maybe a seasonal speed limit reduction could be an idea???

I dont like the idea of fencing the highway as they'd likely find another way around and the problem may just move to either side of the fence.

Its too bad people that drive are so stupid, I know accidents happen, but how in the world do you not see a herd of sheep?

That being said, last year I saw a guy hit a bull moose on a highway near Swan Valley Idaho, on a straight stretch surrounded by open hayfields. The guy was from Montana, and ironically traveling back home after unsuccessfully hunting moose in Wyoming.

I was coming home after working up the West Fork of the Bitterroot at the site of the Darby Lumber Mill. It's open as Eastern Montana. A herd of Elk came trotting accross right where the check station sits. A clueless moron such as the Anaconda dude came tooling along and smashed right into the herd. I was sitting along side the road waiting for the elk to cross. Maybe cell phone? Killed 2 elk and really messed up his auto.

What a bummer. There will be one less tag for hunters next year.

I highly doubt the tag numbers will decline. MT is way, way conservative on tag numbers to begin with.

It will be 3 less rams available for a hunter to consider though.

Motorist kills 8 bighorns
By John Grant Emeigh of The Montana Standard - 01/12/2010
Shown above are four bighorn sheep killed by a vehicle west of Anaconda late Monday morning. Eight sheep n including two trophy rams — died after being hit by a driver who claimed the sun was in his eyes. The sheep were on the roadway licking salt. Courtesy photo

A motorist drove his pickup truck through a herd of bighorn sheep on Highway 1, about 7 miles west of Anaconda, late Monday morning, killing at least eight animals, according to the Montana Highway Patrol.

The driver, of Anaconda, wasn't injured or identified, said trooper Tom Gill.

Montana wildlife personnel were looking for other sheep Monday afternoon that left the crash scene after being injured. More sheep deaths are expected, Gill said.

Two of the dead animals were trophy rams, according to state wildlife biologist Ray Vinkey.

The driver, an adult male, was cited with a misdemeanor traffic ticket. Alcohol wasn't a factor in the incident, the patrol said.

Gill said the driver was westbound toward Georgetown Lake when the collision occurred.

"He was not paying attention to the large signs saying ‘watch out for sheep on the road,' and didn't slow down," Gill said.

The driver claimed the sun was in his eyes and he didn't see the sheep in the roadway, according to Gill. The herd was hit about 11:45 a.m.

The driver was cited with failure to obey a traffic signal. Two, large electronic signs on the eastbound and westbound sides of the highway warn motorists to be award of bighorn sheep on the road.

The sheep often gather on that stretch of roadway to lick salt, which is put there by road crews to melt ice.

Gill said the driver's truck incurred light damage.

http://montanastandard.com/articles/2010/01/12/area/hjijjiihjhffhb.txt

Lots of comments at the end of those articles too. It's been thrown out there to put a salt source away from the road. Not sure if I think that's a good idea though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back