PEAX Equipment

Colorado Bighorn Sheep 2023

Some take aways.
1) if you ever actually plan on drawing a tag you better stay in shape until you do. There is no way 3 months will get you where you need to be physically. At least not where I hunted.

2) finding/seeing sheep is hard. If you can find an experienced sheep hunter to go with you scouting and show you how to spot them find a way to make it happen. At least for me not being a "Glasser" per say until the day we saw 40 sheep it was luck. It all clicked that day but learning sooner would/could have paid off in different areas I believe

3) I'm not sold on the spotting from the road. (Again at least where I hunted) seeing something 3 miles away straight line and being able to get there 8 hours later never really sat to well with me I don't know. And all the nooks and crannies you can't see from that distance. Even when you hike in your still damn 2 hours away it seems in every direction 😂

4) sheep move...a lot not necessarily far distance wise but always moving 500 yards here just to come back just to bounce over here and then there. I was pretty surprised by this. And it's not like you can just switch directions and move in on them. If they go over a ridge where I was damn that was a chore. LoL

5) sheep are in the trees ....I never saw them but apparently everyone else did/does

6) we still missed seeing a lot of sheep. There was another hunter close by and speaking with him the night I hiked out it was obvious there were more rams that we had been missing

7) I found having someone to talk to made it much easier to sit and stay behind the glass as long as it took. Some people suggested have your helper be in a separate area looking for more sheep which I could see the benefit of for sure. I just found it more useful when he was near. Everyone is different just my thoughts

8) I'm not a die hard bow only hunter I just chose that to increase my odds of getting the tag...if there is a next time the rifle will be my choice

Great adventure Mudranger1!
I admire your upbeat attitude and determination. The pictures will be as much of a memory for you as the trophy that didn't quite get on the wall.
Every sheep hunt ought to be an incredible experience like yours.
Well done and thanks for bringing us along.

Some take aways.
1) if you ever actually plan on drawing a tag you better stay in shape until you do. There is no way 3 months will get you where you need to be physically. At least not where I hunted.

2) finding/seeing sheep is hard. If you can find an experienced sheep hunter to go with you scouting and show you how to spot them find a way to make it happen. At least for me not being a "Glasser" per say until the day we saw 40 sheep it was luck. It all clicked that day but learning sooner would/could have paid off in different areas I believe

3) I'm not sold on the spotting from the road. (Again at least where I hunted) seeing something 3 miles away straight line and being able to get there 8 hours later never really sat to well with me I don't know. And all the nooks and crannies you can't see from that distance. Even when you hike in your still damn 2 hours away it seems in every direction 😂

4) sheep move...a lot not necessarily far distance wise but always moving 500 yards here just to come back just to bounce over here and then there. I was pretty surprised by this. And it's not like you can just switch directions and move in on them. If they go over a ridge where I was damn that was a chore. LoL

5) sheep are in the trees ....I never saw them but apparently everyone else did/does

6) we still missed seeing a lot of sheep. There was another hunter close by and speaking with him the night I hiked out it was obvious there were more rams that we had been missing

7) I found having someone to talk to made it much easier to sit and stay behind the glass as long as it took. Some people suggested have your helper be in a separate area looking for more sheep which I could see the benefit of for sure. I just found it more useful when he was near. Everyone is different just my thoughts

8) I'm not a die hard bow only hunter I just chose that to increase my odds of getting the tag...if there is a next time the rifle will be my choice
@Mudranger1 I wish I would have bumped into you, I never saw another sheep hunter anywhere in the unit. I got on those band of 9 rams at the base of Bard and Parrnases on the 17th. Hikers got off trail down in the basin and ran at the sheep to scare them off. It was the most physical and mental hunt of my life. Glad you had some sightings I had 5 straight days of zero rams and it’s tough to stay the course.

@Mudranger1 I wish I would have bumped into you, I never saw another sheep hunter anywhere in the unit. I got on those band of 9 rams at the base of Bard and Parrnases on the 17th. Hikers got off trail down in the basin and ran at the sheep to scare them off. It was the most physical and mental hunt of my life. Glad you had some sightings I had 5 straight days of zero rams and it’s tough to stay the course.
Like they saw you hunting them and scared you off? Or were just jacking around with them? That really sucks regardless. Colorado is getting crowded

Reactions: DJ1
Like they saw you hunting them and scared you off? Or were just jacking around with them? That really sucks regardless. Colorado is getting crowded
Txco, It was a man and women with two small dogs. I said hi to the women and when the man turned to see who I was started to shake his head in total disgust when he saw my bow. I smiled and continued to walk. They watched where we went to spot and when I dropped in on the sheep they followed. I couldn’t see them but my brother saw the entire event play out through his spotting scope. I was about 150-200 yards out waiting on the wind to change and they got above me in the basin and ran the sheep out. I had no idea they were there until I saw the sheep bust out.

Thanks for sharing.

A very dull silver lining is that you can start getting sheep points again next year and don't have a 5 year wait ahead of you.

Txco, It was a man and women with two small dogs. I said hi to the women and when the man turned to see who I was started to shake his head in total disgust when he saw my bow. I smiled and continued to walk. They watched where we went to spot and when I dropped in on the sheep they followed. I couldn’t see them but my brother saw the entire event play out through his spotting scope. I was about 150-200 yards out waiting on the wind to change and they got above me in the basin and ran the sheep out. I had no idea they were there until I saw the sheep bust out.
Thats awful. Im so sorry. I wish theyd get reported for harassing hunters. Reminds me of the Hug a Hunter commercials from years ago CPW used to put out.

Reactions: DJ1
Great read @Mudranger1 and I feel your pain. Did an Archery hunt up here in Alaska and never quite got to the 70 yard mark which was my max - multiple encounters inside 300 but our two big pushes to try and close distance both just a little to late or a little too aggressive.

Great read and hopefully you get another chance soon!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back