High Uintas Trifecta

BillyGoat

With the season just around the corner, I've been pondering lately where to go to kick things off this year and realized I never put together any pictures from last year's opening hunt. Hope you enjoy....

I spent three days in the High Uintas Wilderness for the first time with my german shorthair, Tucker, searching for ptarmigan, scrambling up King's Peak, and catching native cutthroat trout. It turned out to be one of those trips that will always stand out in my mind as I grow older. I love being in the high country -- especially for a combination trip at this time of year. Can't wait for September to arrive once again.

Driving to the trailhead. "Fish, Camp, Hunt"... sounds perfect to me.
uintas80.jpg

Starting the hike. Kings Peak is the farthest summit in the distance.
uintas08.jpg

Tucker, the world's most spoiled dog, loves exploring the backcountry as much as I do.
uintas09.jpg

Last edited:
Pausing to soak in the views along the Uinta Divide.
uintas17.jpg

Some interesting geology.
uintas19.jpg

I set up camp in the early afternoon of the first day about 10 miles in and Tucker was ready for his canine dehydrated chicken dinner. I don't know where my wife gets this stuff, but it tastes better than some human dehydrated meals I've had. ;)
uintas21.jpg

We spent the rest of the evening until dark searching the basin for birds but our efforts came up short. The next morning we were up at first light and began working our way higher and higher. Once again Tucker had a couple false points, but we soon found ourselves on the summit ridge having seen no birds despite passing through some promising terrain.
uintas32.jpg

After some more boulder hopping we reached the highest point in Utah at 13,528'.
uintas33.jpg

The weather was perfect and the views were outstanding in all directions. Here's looking back down towards where we started from.
uintas39.jpg

Later that afternoon, Tucker was still running big covering a lot of ground and he finally nailed down a lone bird.
uintas42.jpg

This one wasn't terribly interested in flying at first, which gave me a chance to circle around and snap a few photos.
uintas45.jpg

Every time I find these furry-legged creatures I'm amazed at how well they blend in to their surroundings and at how they manage to survive in such a harsh environment.
uintas43.jpg

A few moments later I kicked up the bird, let it get out a ways, and then knocked it back down with one shot from my 20 gauge. Tucker ran over for the retrieve and we had our first ever Utah harvest.
uintas52.jpg

Afterwards we searched the area for awhile longer, but surprisingly found no other birds or sign.

We got back to camp and I decided to pack up and relocate, along the way encountering additional unproductive points. Where were all the birds?
uintas60.jpg

But with the mission accomplished, fine weather, and exceptional scenery, I really didn't care if we located any more birds.
uintas61.jpg

Tucker was a happy boy too.
uintas59.jpg

Later on we dropped off the upper slopes to exchange the shotgun for fishing tackle and immediately had success.
uintas64.jpg

Native Colorado River Cutthroat
uintas66.jpg

Tucker entertained himself as well, but he's a worse fisherman than I am and just muddied up the water.
uintas65.jpg

Now it was time to get rid of some pack weight and celebrate the success of what I dubbed the "High Uintas Trifecta". Tucker apparently was thirsty too.
uintas68.jpg

After fishing for awhile we headed off to set up camp passing by this neat old cabin.
uintas69.jpg

Tucker at last grew tired and settled down for the evening while I prepared dinner. I wasn't planning to cook up any fish this trip and had to improvise a bit, but two of them looked too delicious at the time and so didn't make it back in the stream.
uintas70.jpg

My wife must have put me on a tight budget this time and I didn't carry in the usual fine microbrew. :D But I can tell you for a fact that everything that night indeed tasted superb.
uintas71.jpg

Right at dusk I peered out across the lake and was pleasantly surprised to see a bull moose feeding in the shallow water. He seemed to appear out of nowhere and then just as quickly disappear. This was the best picture I could get in the fading light.
uintas72.jpg

That evening the temps plummeted to below freezing and Tucker and I both shivered all night long in the tent unprepared for such cold weather. But it didn't matter. The next morning we awoke at dawn and made the long hike back to the trailhead, stopping occasionally to catch a few more trout and enjoy the incredible views.
uintas76.jpg

When I returned home,a friend was kind enough to finish the bird for me. It now sits in our office as a beautiful reminder of yet another terrific hunt with my faithful dog.
ptarmigan.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. I love those trips too with the 2 knuckle heads and just myself. As mine seemed to be as spoiled or worse than Tucker. :p

Gorgeous country. I haven't been in there since I was in boy scouts..has to be pre 1980, and it's still incredible. Thanks for showing those photos, brought back some memories.

Wow, awesome country and a very cool bird. looks like you got a great hiking/hunting buddy there.

Very cool! Love the shot of the trout in the pan. Going to be doing the same this weekend.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back