Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Here's Mine...

Very nice lope and lope tale. I like that you use a 308 on bear and elk, but a 338 on antelope.

Wow, it is crazy something as sissy as a lope can take a shoulder hit and keep on trucking. Goes to show you are dreaming if you hit a bull like that.

Great Lope and great pic.

Awesome pictures! Pat, please email the full res file of the one with your rifle. I'd like to put that photo in an 8X10 print. Dinkshooter, the hit didn't hit the shoulder bone, it was above the bone and came out the throat. As wimpy as goats are, I don't think the arrow hit anything other than meat. I bet an inch either way, things could have been different. I thought for sure we were going to get him that day, but he kept trucking like it was a mosquioto bite.

Awesome buck and awesome story. Doesn't look like he was any worse the wear from the archery hit. Kind of shows how resilient animals are to some archery hits. Great Buck.

Some humorous details...

At one point, I suggested we just slide up and "admire him" at 300 yards with the binos, since we didn't bring a spotter with.. We watched him for about 2 minutes and I said, "Man, I really overjudged him, I don't think he's nearly as good as I first thought. That's when Pat says, we've been following the wrong buck around for 4 hours.

The next day, after locating the right one, who showed some interest in the decoys, reluctantly, and only made the final approach, after a buck humping doe simulation. There was a mexican standoff for about a minute, at 20 yards with the lope, looking at the decoys, then Pat, then the decoys.

I've been waiting to see this buck for a month, and luckily got to see it in person yesterday at breakfast.

Greenhorn, were you wearing the be the decoy hat while you were humping the montana decoy?;) just curious of how that all went down .................LMAO

That is one hell of a buck. Good job and glad u got him. Way to stick with it. Love the gun set up!

I never had any doubt that you would get this buck. I just was waiting for the pics.

Way to follow through!

Congrats he is a PIG!

Some humorous details...

At one point, I suggested we just slide up and "admire him" at 300 yards with the binos, since we didn't bring a spotter with.. We watched him for about 2 minutes and I said, "Man, I really overjudged him, I don't think he's nearly as good as I first thought. That's when Pat says, we've been following the wrong buck around for 4 hours.

The next day, after locating the right one, who showed some interest in the decoys, reluctantly, and only made the final approach, after a buck humping doe simulation. There was a mexican standoff for about a minute, at 20 yards with the lope, looking at the decoys, then Pat, then the decoys.

I've been waiting to see this buck for a month, and luckily got to see it in person yesterday at breakfast.

Hey Kurt,

I know you took a through the scope picture of this buck while you were hunkered down behind the decoy....could you post it on here and email me that? I'd like to get one printed for hanging next to the european mount. Thanks!

When I found this buck on opening day of rifle season, it was later in the day and the rain and wind had gone down to almost nothing. He was by himself out on a large grass flat. The biggest challenge was getting to a position for the shot without spooking other antelope in the area. I found a low coulee to stay out of view in while making an approach to a rock shelf where I set up for the shot. Usually I remain pretty calm when I drop the hammer on a big game animal, but I have to admit I had to swallow hard about three times before I shot to get my heart out of my throat. Finding this buck again really had me amped up! The shot was good as he was hit through both front shoulders with a 250gr scenar out of my .338 Lapua Magnum. After running my hands over his horns several times,I looked at the old arrow wound. I was happy to see that it was healing up well and there was no infection. His body was in good shape other than being a little thin from rutting. I'm sure the way he was carrying on in September that he got quite a little breeding done....those genetics will be around there for sometime, hopefully.

logan-lope002.jpg

Never got any side shots out in the field while taking selftimer pics....here's one after I got back home with Logan.

I'll email the full res photos I have of him.
Here he is, not wanting to come all the way, but the "I'm gettin some and yer not!" move changed his mind. :D
2010patsbuck.jpg

I'll email the full res photos I have of him.
Here he is, not wanting to come all the way, but the "I'm gettin some and yer not!" move changed his mind. :D
2010patsbuck.jpg

Just think how realistic it could be if you and a buddy recreated that move with the "Be the Decoy" :hump:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back