Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Helping my Father-In-Law and my Father hunt Elk.

AZbywayofWI

Hey Guys,

Happy Monday! In the last year I have been talking with my Father and my soon to be Father-In-Law about hunting Elk here in the west. They have both expressed regret that they never had a chance to hunt elk and are under the impression that their age (59 and 72) has pretty much ruled out the chance for them to ever get see bull or even a cow through the scope of their rifles. I feel like is it not too late for them and I would love to take them on an elk hunt and experience all that it is. The issue I am having is where do I start? I did a OTC Archery Hunt in CO this past fall and I am well aware of the OTC opportunities there but the unit I hunted was steep and gnarly and there is no way they could do that. So I am not sure what the other options would be? We do not have access to horses or llamas, I do have a UTV, my Fiancé and her brother and I will be going along to help and also hunt if we can.

A little back ground:

Both my Dad and my FIL are retired Air Force Colonels. My FIL served in Vietnam where he flew B-52's and my Dad served in the Gulf War, Kosovo, and Iraq.

They are both in good health and the spirits are willing with following exceptions:

My FIL has a bum knee (plans on getting it fixed but do not know when), he can walk well but not super long distances, and there is no way he could pack anything out (which is why myself, my soon to be wife, and my soon to be brother-in-law are going with.)

My Dad is in pretty good shape, no real physical limits. The only issue is that he comes from the Midwest so not used to any sort of elevation and I am not 100% sure he could pack an Elk out.

I own a fit to hunt type company and I feel I could get them in at least halfway decent shape before hand, but it's not going to be the equivalent of two 20 something year old guys in their prime.

This being said, I am not sure what the other options would be? We do not have access to horses or llamas, I do have a UTV, my Fiancé and her brother and I will be going along to help and also hunt if we can. I just want them to have an experience with potential to take an elk of any size or sex, although I am sure like everyone else they would like a bull. Time is not on their side so building up points for a great unit isn't an option. Are there any units, states, areas, OTC Hunts that you guys could recommend that I could take them and provide them with an Elk Hunting experience?

Thanks for helping me with this!

Matt

Maybe blasphemy here but I'd consider a trespass type hunt in lower elevations where the outfitter / landowner can help retrieve the animal with farm equipment or ATVs. I did that a few times in Colorado, PM me if you'd like his contact info.

I wouldn't plan on any of you (except the dads) hunting at all I would get yourself and them in excellent shape. Your goal is to get them an elk. Do tons of research and go hunt. Plan B get a guide or trespass hunt.

Late season cow hunt in the WY prairie, private or public. If you've got plenty of time, doable on public. Just gotta have enough time to sort through where they aren't sometimes.
This was my thought as well. The Type 4 tags are easy to draw, as well, if you buy a point this fall. They could be hunting cows in a really good WY unit in ‘22. Good luck!

I got my dad (66) back into big game hunting a few years ago, 1st season CO cow and either sex tags have been good to him; two cows and a bull in two seasons of hunting (I am a res, he is NR so only first choice tags/leftover, no points for him). We are walking in about 2 miles to the main area we like to hunt, I made sure that it was an area with as little elevation gain/loss as possible (we're around 8k ft) to make it easier on him (aka go around the side of the mountain vs over it). We've been lucky to have some friends with horses to pack out most of his elk, but by picking an area like I mentioned before it means I can easily make multiple trips if needed while he rests.

First season usually gets you some bugling action and the weather can be fairly mild, and you can't beat the turning of the leaves that time of year. Good luck, 'paying' my dad back for getting me and my brothers into hunting when we were young has been some of the most fun I've had in the elk woods.

Even some of the earlier season type 4 cow tags in Wyoming would be worth looking into. Especially if you have time to build up a point or two for them (or are willing to do the special draw). Some excellent advice in this thread, though. Good luck!

You may think about unit 3 or 4 in Colorado. Fairly mild country on the sage part. Perhaps not exactly the kind if hunting you want but it kind of is what it is. Mule deer and late cow tags would be good in that area too. There are roads most everywhere which may be a blessing for what you're trying to do.

I agree with Ipshunter29.... consider CO units 3/301/4 lots of BLM and late season migrations elk...by the hundreds all at one time a great natural phenomena to see. Also, several guides in the area that will do bull or cow hunts and do all of the work except squeeze the trigger with little walking and use their 4 x 4 UTV. Stay in a hotel in Craig make it easy for the Cols. Or consider Wyoming.

Rent horses and take the plunge. At $500 for 2 weeks you will get access to as far back as you want to go. In Mt look up Big Sky Horses out of Townsen.

My dad went on elk hunts when he was in his late 70s. We hunted out of Craig and paid a trespass free. He hunted out of a blind and I stalked and glassed. The guide drove him to his blind. If worked out well for him. As far as elevation, they just need to get there a little early and give themselves time to acclimate. Hunt high sleep low.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back