Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Help with Idaho Unit 18 fire information

TheWanderer

A friend and I drew lottery archery tags for Unit 18 and are leaving for Idaho friday morning and looking on InciWeb tonight I see there is a small burn in the wilderness area. However unlike the other burns I can click on anything to get details about size and expectations for this burn.

Does anyone have any information on the status of this burn. Also any logistical/logical recc's about being in a unit with active burns? Some of the spots we have picked our are in the wilderness area.

What type of distance should keep between us and this burn (in general). Are prepared to pack in and spend time at a number of our spots but do we need to pick up a radio for updates so we aren't in danger?

Thanks.

Hmmm, I only see an old fire, the Dry Diggins fire, dunno what year it burned.

Now, looking over Caltopo, there might be another new start southwest of that fire: http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=45.34429,-116.52261&z=13&b=t&o=f16a%2Cr&n=1,0.25&a=modis_mp

Edit: Found it on the inciweb map, yeah, that looks like the old Dry Diggins fire for sure. Again, there seems to be some modis data showing some hot spots SSW of there, and north of the Seven Devils. Worth keeping an eye on it.

Last edited:
IDFG has a fire map now also. https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/maps/realtime/fire/# You can select your hunt unit from the controls on the left side. As you found, I don't see any way to get information on this one yet. Maybe it's too new to have an incident created?

Carrying a radio or other method of communication seems wise. I don't know if fire warnings would be broadcast on NOAA weather radio or another type. I haven't spent a lot of time searching, but found only this page about fire weather warnings http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/fire/ww.shtml That appears to mostly be about general fire risk weather rather than warnings of a specific fire's movements. Maybe carry an InReach, with a family member or friend monitoring InciWeb and other sources from home?

I'd want several miles between me and an active fire. They can move fast and cut off travel routes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 22.20.21.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 22.20.21.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
A friend and I drew lottery archery tags for Unit 18 and are leaving for Idaho friday morning and looking on InciWeb tonight I see there is a small burn in the wilderness area. However unlike the other burns I can click on anything to get details about size and expectations for this burn.

Does anyone have any information on the status of this burn. Also any logistical/logical recc's about being in a unit with active burns? Some of the spots we have picked our are in the wilderness area.

What type of distance should keep between us and this burn (in general). Are prepared to pack in and spend time at a number of our spots but do we need to pick up a radio for updates so we aren't in danger?

Thanks.

Get ahold of the USFS ranger district. This one is probably Riggins? They are always helpful.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back