Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Help with 7mm-08 Hammer load…

Lonster

I’m currently shooting Barnes TTSX 120 grains over 46.0 grains of Big Game.
This load produces sub moa results in my rifle and is devastating on Whitetails.

I cannot source any Barnes bullets at this time SO I have ordered some Hammer Hunters in 120 grains.

I have the following powders:
Big Game
H4350
H4831SC
Retumbo

Anyone have any load recommendations for these bullets?
thanks,
Lonster

I’m currently shooting Barnes TTSX 120 grains over 46.0 grains of Big Game.
This load produces sub moa results in my rifle and is devastating on Whitetails.

I cannot source any Barnes bullets at this time SO I have ordered some Hammer Hunters in 120 grains.

I have the following powders:
Big Game
H4350
H4831SC
Retumbo

Anyone have any load recommendations for these bullets?
thanks,
Lonster
I always look at Nosler data for similar weight bullets as my starting point. I’d try the Big Game and 4350 for starters. I think the 4831 might be a little slow for your application.

I use 50.0 grains Big Game with the 120 TTSX/NBT in my 7mm08. Looks like you could increase your powder charge unless perhaps you’re using federal brass.

The only 7-08 HH stuff I could find was with Varget, but if the Big Game was working for you, I'd start there.
I had a bunch of Hornady SuperPerformance on hand when I started loading for my 6.5. I tried that on a whim with the 124 Hammer Hunter and had excellent results with it. I could probably get a little more velocity with Varget though.

I always look at Nosler data for similar weight bullets as my starting point. I’d try the Big Game and 4350 for starters. I think the 4831 might be a little slow for your application.
Thanks, I'll start with Nosler's recommended min load and work up from there.

Yes I agree, the H4831SC and Retumbo are what I use in my 6.5-284 Norma.

I’ve found the Hammers to run lower pressure than Barnes. What primers? Steve recommends a magnum primer, regardless of the cartridge.

I've never tried Hammers, but I will say that in my 7mm-08 loading I've found Big Game to consistently give the best results. If I were you I'd just scale back 2 grains from what you were using in your Barnes load and work up gradually. Id be surprised if you don't find a very good load in there somewhere.

Also, I've been told the staff of Hammer bullets are very helpful and responsive. You might just give them a call and see if they have anything more specific to recommend.

Also, I've been told the staff of Hammer bullets are very helpful and responsive. You might just give them a call and see if they have anything more specific to recommend.
I'll give them a call this week and see what they have to say.
Thanks,
Lonster

Well I tried to call someone at Hammer but nobody answered at either number. So I sent them an email this morning, no answer yet.

I loaded 3 rounds with 46 grains of Big Game.
100 yards from a bench, just over an inch.

3 rounds with 47 grains of Big Game 2 bullets touching and a flyer about an inch away.

No signs of excessive pressure, guess I’ll start loading up in .5 grain increases and see what I can do.

Well I tried to call someone at Hammer but nobody answered at either number. So I sent them an email this morning, no answer yet.

I loaded 3 rounds with 46 grains of Big Game.
100 yards from a bench, just over an inch.

3 rounds with 47 grains of Big Game 2 bullets touching and a flyer about an inch away.

No signs of excessive pressure, guess I’ll start loading up in .5 grain increases and see what I can do.
They have a statement in their website saying they might be out hunting and there may be delayed communications. I did get a response from Steve via email last week.

I just got some 120 HHs and plan on using Varget, around 44 grains. If you can't find Varget

Nosler data for 120s, which folks sometimes recommend as comparable lists:
  1. Big game at 48 gr starting with 52 gr max
  2. IMR 4350 at 45 gr start with 49 gr max
There is also a forum for Hammer bullets which contains lots of load data, I believe it is linked from their web page.

I just got some 120 HHs and plan on using Varget, around 44 grains. If you can't find Varget

Nosler data for 120s, which folks sometimes recommend as comparable lists:
  1. Big game at 48 gr starting with 52 gr max
  2. IMR 4350 at 45 gr start with 49 gr max
There is also a forum for Hammer bullets which contains lots of load data, I believe it is linked from their web page.
So I loaded 6 more rounds:
Powder: Ramshot Big Game
Primer: Fed. 210 Match
Case: Alpha Munitions
Bullet: 120 grain HH
COAL: 2.78”

47.5 grains of powder = 1.5” group

48.0 grains of powder = .89”

Looking good. Might try magnum primers if you have them.

Custom 7mm-08 with a 22in barrel.
41.5 grains of Varget
WLMP
Alpha brass
131 Hammer Hunters
this runs out to 2906 fps. .441 group.

Attachments

• 8D3DFA25-C891-4262-92D8-513BBE5D2A0D.jpeg
    8D3DFA25-C891-4262-92D8-513BBE5D2A0D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Latest posts