Help with 7mm-08 Hammer load…

Hammer bullets has a web site with load data on it so you may want to sign up to it. I do believe there will be some info there that will help you out. There are 2 different pages of load development, one for hammer hunters and one for absolute hammers. DO NOT MIX THEM UP

I’m currently shooting Barnes TTSX 120 grains over 46.0 grains of Big Game.
This load produces sub moa results in my rifle and is devastating on Whitetails.

I cannot source any Barnes bullets at this time SO I have ordered some Hammer Hunters in 120 grains.

I have the following powders:
Big Game
H4350
H4831SC
Retumbo

Anyone have any load recommendations for these bullets?
thanks,
Lonster
I have had outstanding results with Barnes 140, 150 and 160s using H380 at weights slightly above the middle of the Barnes reloader book. This is shot out of a Rem 700, A Bolt and an X bolt. I can give more details if requested.

So I loaded 6 more rounds:
Powder: Ramshot Big Game
Primer: Fed. 210 Match
Case: Alpha Munitions
Bullet: 120 grain HH
COAL: 2.78”

47.5 grains of powder = 1.5” group

48.0 grains of powder = .89”

Those results are certainly acceptable for a hunting setup, but two things that would help you a lot:

1. Try loading with Varget. For the 120 HH in 7mm-08, I have yet to find a way to load that combo such that it will group above MOA. Probably impossible to find if you don't have it already, but see if you have a good friend who will spot you some.

2. Using a Lee Factory Crimp Die tends to reduce group size significantly with Hammers- kind of the same phenomenon as how monos like to "jump" in that a crimp delays very slightly when the bullet interfaces with the lands. A lot of guys run ladders trying 1/8 turn, 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn etc of the die, but I am poor and don't get enough range time to do that so I generally throw 1/4 turn on there and call it good. I've come up with 3 sub-MOA loads with Hammers this way.

Those results are certainly acceptable for a hunting setup, but two things that would help you a lot:

1. Try loading with Varget. For the 120 HH in 7mm-08, I have yet to find a way to load that combo such that it will group above MOA. Probably impossible to find if you don't have it already, but see if you have a good friend who will spot you some.

2. Using a Lee Factory Crimp Die tends to reduce group size significantly with Hammers- kind of the same phenomenon as how monos like to "jump" in that a crimp delays very slightly when the bullet interfaces with the lands. A lot of guys run ladders trying 1/8 turn, 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn etc of the die, but I am poor and don't get enough range time to do that so I generally throw 1/4 turn on there and call it good. I've come up with 3 sub-MOA loads with Hammers this way.
I’m still try to get my hands on some Varget. I purchased a Lee Factory Crimp Die just for this purpose.
thanks,
Lonster

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back