Help us research an OYOA hunt.

I think yourbest choices i would pick would be unit 78 as first choice,,,unit 80 or 83 as second or third choices,,,or 83 or 72 as third choices on the "special tag" priced options,,,all are top rated units except for unit 72,,,1point in the 'Special" group will really get you alot of choices.unit 53 is also a good choice as a 1st choice also especially if your considering a a'w' gen deer tag at the same time.of course options could be even better if your average is .001 over 1 point,.

Dan, if I'm looking at it right the dates on unit 80 and 83 don't line up with his requirements. 80 would rule out his late hunt that was an option in October and 83 would rule out hunting in September which was also a possibility. Really probably doesn't matter though because 78 as first choice would be a stone cold lock with 1 point.

yes ,i see the dates are off so i see another option as:unit 78 as 1st choice "special" almost for sure with 2011 data,,2nd choice as unit 72 whitch should be a 100% draw if it goes to 2nd draw,,,,unit 78is a top rated unit w over 7500 walk in avail and unit 72 as a 2nd hasalot of walk in also,.though 78-1 has a 10-15 /10-31 season,so that might not work either fully.

another option that will work better with randys time scedule would be unit 53 as 1st choice for the oct dates and unit 72 as a 100% lock for 2nd choice with either september or october dates that work,,,53 should be a lock w 1"special" point as well as 72 as a lock for 2nd choice,,,also a person could maybe work in a"W" gen deer tag also in october,.

I see differing odds on unit 53 between ehj and wyoming site so here is another option:unit 74 as 1st choice,,,100% odds and unit 72 as 2nd choice 100% odds and unit 83 as a option too,whitch could fit your november date as a posibility.unit 74 would hit the oct dates,is a top unit and a lock w 1 point.also it has 21000 wia avail.

I found differing date information so for 1012 vs 2011 info it would look to me as unit 78 working good for 1st choice and unit 72 as a guarnteed 100% second choice as according to the wyoming website vs other publications.although unit 74 is still a good 1st chice also.

I see this thread hasnt had much for new entrys,,, Ive goten some newer info to review but for now still think unit 74 1st,72 2nd would be a very good pick,,,wyoming web site,hunter trail head, "ifish",ehj,ebj,and of course hunt talk are my sources.

Actually, I did my app about ten days ago. I pretty much followed Carl's plan. It was almost exactly what I was thinking, with one exception/addition. I did a third choice in a unit that was not on his list, but the rest of it is pretty much as he suggested.

Due to some date changes after finalizing the Alaska moose schedule, I might go in and tweak a choice or two. But, all choices I am considering are on his list.

We will see how it goes. I plan to be in WY hunting antelope this year.

Thanks for doing this guys. Had hoped more people would chime in, but I suspect most don't want to give up their strategies or units of how they go about their apps.

so is carl the winner of that gps chip? I thought you wernt puttin in till time was closer?I gave it a shot.carl did have alot of info laid out,,,good job carl.

This was a great thread - I realized right off the bat that my best strategy here was to just keep quiet and listen - there is a lot of information on the OYOA web site - now I just need more vacation time.

Thanks to all who posted.

I think I would go with 68 1st choice and 63 2nd. Using the resources drawing odds feature show a 28% chance to draw 68 and 100% chance for 63 with 1 point in the special draw. Accessing the Wyo regs and the 2011 Wyoming Hunting guide through the resources gave up all the following info: 75% public land in both units with good access to the public. Both units show high harvest rates, 89% for 68 and 94% for 63. The season dates work for the time frames involved for both archery and rifle. Both units are listed as having a good chance at a mature buck. Both units are also adjoining and under the same regional office so gathering info and opinions on both would be easy through the Lander office.That would also make scouting easy. Lots of options out there but I like those.

63 used to be good, its garbage now...too many tags for both bucks and does, proximity to Casper results in it getting hammered, magazines have been pimping it hard for a few years now. That unit used to be great, a hidden jewel not on the magazines radar but not anymore. Eastmans downgraded it this year I believe which is about 2-3 years overdue. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone that burns any points on this hunt thinking they are going to get a better than average unit. Pathfinder no longer allows hunting which may end up helping in the long run but for now I would stay away from that unit if looking for a trophy. 68 is a good choice though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back