Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Help me pick a getaway location

Dave N

Looking for some opinions on a vacation/getaway location for a small cabin or trailer in the mountains "somewhere". Not able to retire yet, and can't justify a second mortgage for our retirement move to Alaska. Even a small place there for a vacation would require too much cash with airfare, car rental, etc... Thinking about a place in the lower 48 we can drive to. I'm talking bare bones minimum but no outhouses! $50K would be nice! Just a place to call "ours" without having to stay in a motel on a vacation.

Wish list:

Mountains
Reasonable access to hunting areas. not needing a "trophy" animal, just want to hunt. Not even sure how much hunting I would do, just want it available.
Wouldn't mind doing some fishing, though we don't really do it now. May start again.
Not TOO far from a fairly large town/city so there would be things to do besides hang out in the local area.

Distance is an issue. Western Montana/Idaho, while being nice, requires 2 days of drive time. Colorado may be a long 1 day depending on where. Denver is 900 miles from where we live. Being able to leave home and get where we are going that night would be a plus.

So, I guess the question is whether or not a state farther West than Colorado would provide us with more or better opportunities for a nice getaway place to spend some time away from things at home. Trips would range from some long weekends up to a couple of weeks at a time. I'm sure there are things I haven't brought up that come into play. Feel free to toss those around.

Thanks for any advice given!

Do you have to have "big mountains" out west? Have you looked at the UP? Arkansas? Missouri? I am just saying this because if you want someplace in the mountains with a structure and water for 50,000 you are going to be pretty hard pressed in CO. Here is a sample of what 50k can get you for land .... http://ppar.com/search/ncc.aspx

I know this isn't what you were thinking, but what about a nice travel trailer. Then you are not tied down to one spot. Pick a descent campground and just go. Or with the help of a generator and storage tanks the wworld is your campsite. Downside is dumping the septic.

We have gone through the same thing and always come back to the point that I don't like being tied to an area and feeling obligated to go there all the time.

Good luck

Do you have to have "big mountains" out west? Have you looked at the UP? Arkansas? Missouri? I am just saying this because if you want someplace in the mountains with a structure and water for 50,000 you are going to be pretty hard pressed in CO. Here is a sample of what 50k can get you for land .... http://ppar.com/search/ncc.aspx

OK, guess I left out some details. Yep, "big mountains", so to speak. West for sure. The hunting I would want would be for elk, mulies, maybe bear and antelope if they are around. I would be tickled to death just to take a cow elk once in a while. Whitetails I have at home. Maybe my $50K thrown out there was a bit low, but there are some places around that are inexpensive. It was meant to show just how low I am willing to go and accept for a place.

Thanks for that link. I looked around a bit and searched a couple places. Had a couple interesting prospects! We're pretty much in the talking/looking around stage right now. Kind of looking for good or bad points of what we want for different areas. Driving out to western Montana would take 2 full days and that would mean 2 days back home. Cuts down on any "long weekend" trips. Not entirely opposed to it, but may not get out there near as often.

Get away is doable if it's 4 hrs drive. Otherwise you have non-full time type situation and possible theft problems,even leaving a trailer. Anywhere,IMHO.
I had a cabin for many years in place I knew well and could get tags,etc. 4hrs away.

I think just getting trailer as suggested or staying at motels is smarter. With tags getting harder to draw all over the west you never know which unit, where,when.
$50k is chump change or the whole shebang depending on what state & area.

Likely even double that figure eliminates mountain sites in western Montana with elk in the neighborhood.

I see places pop up in the 50-70k range all the time that I think would be awesome. It's possible my standards for a structure are quite lower as well.I've been keeping an eye out for a lot even significantly lower than that and I'm surprised at what I occasionally see.

Dave- expand your horizons to Western Montana and find a young local to caretake for you ;)

It would tough to find much of anything in mountain areas in Colorado for $50,000. Well depths can be hundreds of feet deep and $28-$32 per foot adds up. A location with surface water, spring, or cistern would be a good starting point. Search land watch and narrow to your price range, acres, and location. Avoid areas with bettle-killed trees, and/or hoa. There might be spots in Wyoming or New Mexico that would work for you.

DAVE N
I have been looking at property in the UP in Michigan ...I cant believe what im finding .
Its just a thought ...some huntng / fishing . Looks like its a day trip for you .
Peace and quiet or drive to town for some fun .
You can find a place and still have money left over ..

MT.PERCHMAN

Montana or Wyoming can get you to the 50K mark but its a drive. and it will probably be pretty secluded and away from the major population centers. If you want to spend 50K and want an opportunity every year, Central and Eastern Montana is still pretty rural. And Fun!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back