Help Me Elk Hunt - Idaho

mjblowers

Ok. I would consider myself a "noob" archery hunter if for no other reason than that in the past 3 years I haven't landed an elk, cow or bull (I passed on a Cow because I'm an idiot).

Anyways - I cover the basics. Full gear, minimal noise, wash the clothes appropriately, hunted with cow scent hunted without cow scent, I get up at 3 AM I hunt until dark. I'll sit for 10 hours or I'll walk for 10 hours... again... I've tried it all. I try to get as far away from people and motorized access as possible. Nothing.

Now, I'm in Idaho. So... plenty of wolves around (got one with my bow last year). And I bumped into them 4 separate times last year. I bugle, I'll cow call, I'll sit silent. The elk have increasingly become less noisy. The closest I came last year was a bull made 0 noise, just barreled in out of no where and stopped about 100 yards away and wouldn't come closer. Previous encounters, they bugle and bugle and bugle until they get about 100-200 yards away, and then go silent, only to never be hears from again (or bugle as they fade away...)

What. The. Hell. Is. Wrong?

Previous encounters, they bugle and bugle and bugle until they get about 100-200 yards away, and then go silent, only to never be hears from again (or bugle as they fade away...)

Most bulls aren't looking for a fight if they have cows so it is likely he is rounding them up and taking them away. He could be headed your way to see if you have any ladies but keeps his distance. Another could be your bugling selection, location or challenge.

Often at that 1-200 yard range it is up to you to close the distance and challenge him when close.

Got one with a bow and bumped into them four separate times?Must be up North then?

Ok. I would consider myself a "noob" archery hunter if for no other reason than that in the past 3 years I haven't landed an elk, cow or bull (I passed on a Cow because I'm an idiot).

Anyways - I cover the basics. Full gear, minimal noise, wash the clothes appropriately, hunted with cow scent hunted without cow scent, I get up at 3 AM I hunt until dark. I'll sit for 10 hours or I'll walk for 10 hours... again... I've tried it all. I try to get as far away from people and motorized access as possible. Nothing.

Now, I'm in Idaho. So... plenty of wolves around (got one with my bow last year). And I bumped into them 4 separate times last year. I bugle, I'll cow call, I'll sit silent. The elk have increasingly become less noisy. The closest I came last year was a bull made 0 noise, just barreled in out of no where and stopped about 100 yards away and wouldn't come closer. Previous encounters, they bugle and bugle and bugle until they get about 100-200 yards away, and then go silent, only to never be hears from again (or bugle as they fade away...)

What. The. Hell. Is. Wrong?

public land elk are pretty smart,,,bugleing and even cow calls can make em round up and take off,,,silent hunting and slow walking and spotting seem to be the way to go..a cow call can stop em once usually..excessive calling just blows them out alot of the time.always watch your wind directions.

You must be doing something right to take a wolf with the bow!

How about writing a hunt report up of that encounter with some pictures for folks to learn a bit more about you?

I have spent a fair bit of time chasing elk in general areas in idaho. Certainly have to match the stages of the rut with your hunting techniques your applying and there is no sure fire solution for public land, its just about being smarter and hunting wiser then the average guy who is trying to punch his general tag as well.

Sounds like to me you've been a good student in the Elk hunting school. Every time out you learn a bit more. Sounds like you're about ready to connect with a good one. Just keep at it. Some luck out the first time out, but thats not the usual.

I think I may start a new post with this information after reading some comments.

Upon reflection of my hunts, the real issue is... HOW DO I CLOSE the deal? I've probably had... 7? come in to the point where they could've been shot if there were no trees and a clear line, and if I had an amazing shot.

When I first hear a bugle, say, 1000 yards away, should I be repositioning? Should I be waiting 20 minutes? Should I bugle, should I cow call? What type of bugle should I respond with?

If they move from 1000 to 500 yards within 15 minutes, what does that mean? HELP!

+1, Corey's seminars are LEGIT. Anyone new bow hunter that has gone to one is lucky that he is willing to share a lifetime of experience for free.

steve chappel has some excellent video tutorials that i looked at the other day. Seems a pretty switched on guy with plenty of experiences calling elk.

All i can say is hunting rutting animals can be real variant with different set ups or tactics required in nearly every situation due to terrain, wind direction etc, etc, etc. You have to know what is working on the animal, what isn't working and adapt quickly to create opportunities whilst the door is open with him.

I would also consider myself a novice, however I have spend hundreds if not a thousand hours hunting Elk in the past four years. Let me tell you last year was a learning experience for me more than any other. I saw, heard and called in more hunters than I ever have. I have to admit I had fun calling a few of them, but I digress. Anyway, I realized I called too much. My experience was that as the season progressed and the pressure increased the bulls were less willing to come to any calls, bugle or cow calls. Lesson learned. My strategy this year is to use my calls only to locate and then try to sneak in closer. If anything at close range it will be a cow call.

If I could give any advice it is to be patient, work hard and learn from your mistakes. There's a reason it's called hunting, not killing.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back