Weight- 5lb

Comfort empty - 8/10
Comfort w/ 34lb - 7/10
Comfort w/ 81lb - 7/10

*Both packs are tallest frame w/ large belt*

SG lumbar pad is stiff, Exo soft but not too soft

Exo belt is much easier to loosen

SG lumbar pressure @80lb sucks

SG much easier to attach bag to frame after carrying load (was very difficult before)

SG quick to place load and reattach bag

SG belt is difficult to loosen. Needs the same tension lock as Exo

SG built in meat shelf is nice. Exo system works as is, but have to buy load crib to have the same setup

My final decision ----> I am returning the SG. While it is slightly more comfortable empty, with 34lb the lumbar pad does not work for me. Even worse at 80lb. Entirely too stiff, felt like it was digging in.
This, combined with the pro's I have previously stated, made keeping the Exo a easy choice.

Also 80lb just sucks, no matter how expensive the pack is lol

Last edited:

Already on it lol
Hardest thing for me is to find reviews from flat footed, but not wide people

I know you already purchased your pack, but for anyone else in the market, I'd like to recommend checking out Hill People Gear. The Decker is about the size you were trying out.

Mine packed out two cows this year and did awesome. Another small business, local here in Colorado and they make great products.

SG Solo
Weight- 4.8lb

Comfort empty - 8.5/10
Comfort w/ 34lb - 7/10
Comfort w/ 81lb - 5/10

Exo K3 4800
Weight- 5lb

Comfort empty - 8/10
Comfort w/ 34lb - 7/10
Comfort w/ 81lb - 7/10

*Both packs are tallest frame w/ large belt*

SG lumbar pad is stiff, Exo soft but not too soft

Exo belt is much easier to loosen

SG lumbar pressure @80lb sucks

SG much easier to attach bag to frame after carrying load (was very difficult before)

SG quick to place load and reattach bag

SG belt is difficult to loosen. Needs the same tension lock as Exo

SG built in meat shelf is nice. Exo system works as is, but have to buy load crib to have the same setup

My final decision ----> I am returning the SG. While it is slightly more comfortable empty, with 34lb the lumbar pad does not work for me. Even worse at 80lb. Entirely too stiff, felt like it was digging in.
This, combined with the pro's I have previously stated, made keeping the Exo a easy choice.

Also 80lb just sucks, no matter how expensive the pack is lol
Glad it worked out and you found a pack that works for you and have confidence can handle your needs. 99% people here ask for advice, 1% ever actually use it... congrats on pack

Glad it worked out and you found a pack that works for you and have confidence can handle your needs. 99% people here ask for advice, 1% ever actually use it... congrats on pack
A pet peeve of mine is when people ask for advice and never report back, so I try my best to update.

I also know the feeling of having products narrowed down and then finding a thread about those products.
I try to utilize others knowledge to avoid learning the hard way myself. Hopefully this thread will help someone else to do that

I havent heard anything good about badlands, other than if you're on a really tight budget they'll get you through but not comfortably
Just bought the Kifaru newplex frame and the muskeg 7000. Also got a water bottle pouch, guide lid and a medium pocket. I threw my budget idea out the window and am anticipating living out of it when the wife turns grumpy. I watched so many videos and called multiple companies to ask annoying questions. Price was tough to swallow but if I was gonna do it I wanted to do it right. I also like the idea of having the frame and eventually adding other options if I want. If I didn’t have another little one on the way I’d be planning trips all through summer but as it is now I’ll have to settle for mid April hike and then August/September for archery elk.

Just bought the Kifaru newplex frame and the muskeg 7000. Also got a water bottle pouch, guide lid and a medium pocket. I threw my budget idea out the window and am anticipating living out of it when the wife turns grumpy. I watched so many videos and called multiple companies to ask annoying questions. Price was tough to swallow but if I was gonna do it I wanted to do it right. I also like the idea of having the frame and eventually adding other options if I want. If I didn’t have another little one on the way I’d be planning trips all through summer but as it is now I’ll have to settle for mid April hike and then August/September for archery elk.
Will be curious to hear how it turns out for you. I run Kifaru Mountain Warrior on their duplex frame for 5-7 day solo hunts. A bit on the heavy side but has performed really well for me. I have the lid and the spotting scope pouch so tons of room to work with.

I have the Kuiu 5200 Icon Pro and like it a lot. If you’re planning on doing any mid-season back country camping hunts, I would personally go bigger. The 5200 can be made pretty small (youtube Kuiu 5200 Icon Pro in Daypack Mode). They have big sales several times a year (usually fathers day, labor day, black friday), where you can get 15-40% off.
Haven’t tried any of the others, but doubt you can go wrong.

came across someone selling this pack that’s a couple years old. Good to see someone that recommends. The frames can work with newer bags right?

I know similar threads are around similar to this but I'm hoping for updated/specific answers.

I've done quite a bit of research thus far.
I know I want a ~4000ci bag and would prefer a system where I can easily purchase and swap out bags in the future.
When I mention reviews I'm talking about not only on manufacturer websites, but also multiple forums.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf:
+ cheapest of the 3
+ good reviews throughout the interwebs
+ roll top/stuff
- a little heavier
- lack of built-in organization
- side zipper access
- not as many options for bag only

Kuiu Pro LT 4000:
+ lightest of the 3
+ bag only options are cheap
+ horseshoe zipper on main pocket
+ many bag options
+ external zip and stuff pocket
+ internal pocket
+ comes with hip pockets
- smallest of the 3
- no lid or option to add
- mixed reviews (maybe these problems have been fixed with the new frame?)

Exo K3 4800:
+ waterproof hydration bladder sleeve
+ good bag options
+ horseshoe zipper
+ roll top/stuff
+ external zip and stuff pocket
+ great reviews
- the only negative i have is price

I'm leaning towards the Kuiu. It's not too expensive and there are many bag options. I also like the outside pockets. However I've read multiple times about frame failures. That makes me very hesitant.
Maybe this has been fixed lately?

I really like the Exo, but I have a lot of gear to purchase still and do not want to eat up my budget.

Metcalf seems to be the safe option, but ill be giving up multiple features.

Please give me any and all feedback you have, positive or negative.
If your gonna carry meat MR’s hard to beat, just my two cents!?

Already on it lol
Hardest thing for me is to find reviews from flat footed, but not wide people
As a flatter footed, average width dude I’ve found insoles to be as important as boots for me. Too little arch support sucks and too high arches will have my feet hurting inside the first mile. I really like Schnee’s, I’ve been happy with kenetreks in the past, and I’m going to be trying some Crispi Colorados this spring and summer. L&S Synergy have been the best insoles I’ve found for my foot type.

Have a Kuiu. Ran a 3600 bag on the frame last two elk and deer seasons in MT. Put 45 and 50 miles on in 6 hunting days. Carried 75+ pounds with the deer out each year. 0 for 2 on the elk. Pack is great. There are other great options too.

I've owned and used quite a few. Got a couple different MR in the collection.
Kuiu is the best and most comfortable for me that I've found.

I have the KUIU PRO LT 4000 and PRO 6000 bags on a PRO Suspension. I love both bags and the suspension. I just finished a 2 mile hike, with 65 pounds, and feel good. I have run the bag with just over 100 pounds and it has worked well. It would not be my first choice to haul moose out of the bush all fall but works very well for the one or two western hunting trips I go on every year. I have nothing bad to say about the KUIU bags on the Pro Suspension. I also added the EXO K3 lid which fits the PRO LT 4000 well.

I have a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth as well. It is very durable, and well made, but does not stay up on my hips as well as the KUIU. I prefer the KUIU. I also don’t like the lack of shoulder strap width adjustment.

I have used a friends Stone Glacier once so don’t have much time with it. I liked the bag and suspension but did not like the straps running all over the place, the lack of pockets and the lumbar pad. Still a great bag, though. With a thicker lumbar pad, I may have liked it’s weight carrying ability as much or more than the KUIU.

Last edited:
Kifaru
Mystery Ranch
Exo
Stone Glacier
Barneys
SeekOutside
Outdoorsman's

Avoid Eberlestock, Badlands, Alps, Cabelas, military surplus, and packs made by clothing makers unless youre under 25 and/or enjoy pain.

Back