Crispi, Hoffman, Schnee’s Boots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Had to make an unexpected return to the boot shopping world. The new White hunting boots are still on the table, but I'm leaning very heavily towards Crispi. I had a pair of Crispi Idaho right after they came out. Good boots, they had a few things I didn't like but it sounds like Crispi addressed some of the early production issues.

Right now the models I'm favoring are:

Colorado
Wyoming
Nevada

I'm mixed on synthetics vs. leather. I've long been an all leather guy for durability, but I'm kind of digging the lighter weight of boots like the Colorado or Wyoming.

I plan to call Crispi this week and chat with them, but I welcome your input.

Edit: These are for year round use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a pair of Crispi Idaho boots in....2017-18. I have super wide feet, so I’m limited, to some extent, on what brands I can go with. The fit was incredible, they were super comfortable out of the box, but I had to return them because the way the foot box creased when I knelt or squatted, the crease crushed the knuckle of my big toe. Think it was pure coincidence, rather than anything to do with design or build, but I ended up returning them. Customer service was very good and they took them back no questions asked. I hunt with a couple guys who have the Wyomings (earlier season/temperate climates) and Nevadas (for late fall and into early winter) and love them.

I will not buy another pair of there low quality boots! Looking at schnees next for me.

They’re awesome if they fit your feet! Ben had a pair and he TRIED to love them and couldn’t as they simply didn’t work for his feet. He gifted them to a bud who absolutely loves them.

As an aside, have you run over to Hoffman’s and tried their explorers or summits?

I have the Thor GTX and the Wild Rock, both have been great. The Thor's I had to wear on a hunt prior to break in because a pair of Lowa's crapped out unexpectedly, they were great right from the start. The Wild Rock's are my cold weather boot, which I haven't put a ton of total mileage on them, but they were awesome for a 50 mile week in Montana right out of the box.

I'm on my second pair of Thors (I still have both) and the more current versions have made some nice tweaks to lacing.

Lowa, Asolo and Crispi all do well by my feet. I had some Kennetreks and they were okay, but the heel box was just a tough too big and I had to be really mindful with lacing.

I'm on my second pair of Thors (I still have both) and the more current versions have made some nice tweaks to lacing.
I've heard several guys, including a friend of mine, make the analogy the Thor is like a trail runner with a really stiff sole. This true in your opinion?

The Idahos with replacement insoles are my daily drivers for work and play and they fit my feet very well.

I picked up a pair of the Colorado GTX in spring of 2019 prior to the start of my mountain goat scouting beginning. I put 100s of miles on them that year, and plenty more since. For as stiff a boot as they are the break in was pretty quick, and they did well with just about everything I have thrown at them. They are pretty similar to the Wyoming from a stiffness/ruggedness perspective, but the Colorado fit my foot better.

I’m tough on boots and have used Lowa Tibets without issue. I still like the Lowas.

My son convinced me to try the new Crispi Briskdal uninsulated boots. I wore them heavily this year from alpine mule deer hunts, bear hunting, Chukar hunting and elk hunts. I probably have over a 100 days in them this year. I give them a thumbs up! They’re lighter than the Lowas and I didn’t experience any material failures.

I’m tough on boots and have used Lowa Tibets without issue. I still like the Lowas.

My son convinced me to try the new Crispi Briskdal uninsulated boots. I wore them heavily this year from alpine mule deer hunts, bear hunting, Chukar hunting and elk hunts. I probably have over a 100 days in them this year. I give them a thumbs up! They’re lighter than the Lowas and I didn’t experience any material failures.
How does the Flex 4 compare to the Lowa Tibet in terms of stiffness?

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the Flex 4 compare to the Lowa Tibet in terms of stiffness?
I have bad ankles from high school basketball. My research showed I couldn’t get a Crispi 5 flex rating without adding insulation. It sounded like 5s might be stiffer than I want for normal wear.

I haven’t had any issues with the stiffness of the boot. I haven’t rolled my ankles. The Crispi lace system snugs the boot closer to my ankles, adding support, than the Lowas.

I used the Nevada last year for quite a few hunts and some late summer hikes. My typical hunters are the Hoka Tor and Kaha, so I knew they’d fee a bit different, but needed something with a little more protection in shale. They did well, minimal break in, a very “classic” leather hunting boot to me. Nothing to really stuck out, they just got the job done and were pretty comfy. I wouldn’t mind if they were a little stiffer, they got noticeably more flex after about 50 mi.

I was planning to try the Briksdal at the same time and see which I preferred brut they never shipped so I cut bait on those.

Got a pair of the Briksdal 200g last year, after a season with them......best boots I’ve owned. They did take some time to break in, which was not needed in the last two pairs of Kenetreks I’ve had, but the Kenetreks have a few flaws (for me) that I can’t get over. The Crispi Briksdal has been just about perfect for me, which is more than I can ask for without going full custom.

The only upgrade to the Briksdal needed IMO is a Superfeet or Sheepfeet insole, which is required in every boot for me at least.

One thing I can't seem to find, and will likely make a huge difference in my choice is if all Crispi boots are built on the same last or not. It sounds like they vary in fit across models? If so, I might need to look at something like the Briksdahl instead. I have skinny feet and high arches.

One thing I can't seem to find, and will likely make a huge difference in my choice is if all Crispi boots are built on the same last or not. It sounds like they vary in fit across models? If so, I might need to look at something like the Briksdahl instead. I have skinny feet and high arches.
Me2

Skinny feet, small ankles, super high arches.

I too have narrow feet wouldn't say "skinny" and super high arches as well. And I was like you always been a leather guy but ended up getting the Crispi Idaho, I wanted the higher boot over the Wyoming. I really like they used them for roughly 90miles training here in WI and a 10 day elk hunt this fall with 1 minor issue.

There was a little forward "slip" just did a double surgeons knot right at the top of my forefoot and problem was fixed. I did get Lathrop and Sons insoles and Crisp San Juan Socks.

Edit: hunting partner has narrow feet and has the colorado's and says they are the best boots be has ever had. He has worn Lowa and kennetrek

There was a little forward "slip" just did a double surgeons knot right at the top of my forefoot and problem was fixed.
I had to do some creative lacing with my Idaho boots for the first 100 miles or so to alleviate a little heel slip. The sole on the early models was really soft and I hammered them into submission in about year and a half. I think they went with a different Vibram compound after that.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back