Caribou Gear

Crispi, Hoffman, Schnee’s Boots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I have the Crispi Idaho. Most comfortable boots out of the box. Next boot will be the Wild rock GTX. I personally like Crispi.

Anyone have experience with them around cactus country?

My cousin loves the CO for elk hunting.

I am on my 2nd season of Solomon Quest GTX's and have been super happy with them as an early season boot. I was a bit worried about them holding up as I have always run full leather uppers. I wanted a light early season boot. Aside from just looking thrashed from use they are actually in really good shape. Just another boot to consider......

I am on my 2nd season of Solomon Quest GTX's and have been super happy with them as an early season boot. I was a bit worried about them holding up as I have always run full leather uppers. I wanted a light early season boot. Aside from just looking thrashed from use they are actually in really good shape. Just another boot to consider......
I don't think the Salomons will hold up to the chukar hills.

One thing I can't seem to find, and will likely make a huge difference in my choice is if all Crispi boots are built on the same last or not. It sounds like they vary in fit across models? If so, I might need to look at something like the Briksdahl instead. I have skinny feet and high arches.

I should have probably added, I have a wider foot and a normal arch. I defiantly noticed a difference in fit between the Colorado and the Wyoming....I tried both.

I don't think the Salomons will hold up to the chukar hills.
They won't. 7-8 years ago they would have, but once it came out that they were worn on the Bin Laden raid, and every range commando started buying them, the quality went in the toilet....

My original pair I got from the Army circa 2013 were great boots. My second pair, I bought around 2017, were/have been garbage. They don't get used for much other than yard work....

I have the Guide GTX. I only have 40’ish miles on them but they seem like a very high quality boot. Definitely a little higher quality than my Meindlls.

I bought them in a 10.5 D width. I am going to sell them and buy a pair of uninsulated Guides in wides.

Looks like the local Sportsman’s has the Thor, Nevada, and Colorado in stock. I didn’t realize they were a dealer. I’ll go try these three on for sure. They have the Briksdal, but it’s the stiff flex version.

Haven’t tried any of the other models mentioned.

I love my guide gtx’s. Light insulation has served me well from -5 to 50F. From the chukar hills to late elk. Good durability. I still need to pick up Salomons or something lightweight for scouting though.

I have the Guide GTX. I only have 40’ish miles on them but they seem like a very high quality boot. Definitely a little higher quality than my Meindlls.

I bought them in a 10.5 D width. I am going to sell them and buy a pair of uninsulated Guides in wides.
I'd be interested in those if your gonna sell em. Please let me know.

They won't. 7-8 years ago they would have, but once it came out that they were worn on the Bin Laden raid, and every range commando started buying them, the quality went in the toilet....

My original pair I got from the Army circa 2013 were great boots. My second pair, I bought around 2017, were/have been garbage. They don't get used for much other than yard work....
That’s good input, I was planning on buying a pair of the Salomons for work, but I went with the tacticool black Crispis instead. They seem great so far.

I used the Crispi Guide GTX this year. They’re the most comfortable pair of boots I’ve owned. Cleaned and treated them a few times after heavy use this season and they still look close to brand new. I’ve needed Leukotape on hot spots every year I’ve hunted out west until I got the Guides. Never came close to getting any hot spots wearing the Crispi’s.

+1 for the thors. Two busy seasons on mine with minimal wear and tear showing. Easy break-in, very light, very comfortable. Didn't care for the factory insoles. Swapped for a custom pair. They're like a souped up hiking boot. Only downside for me is a slight lack of ankle support on a steep grade with a heavy pack. That's the nature of a 6 inch boot though. Oh, and I'm just waiting for the third from the top, lace like loop to break, but hasn't yet.

Boots are tricky as feet are different.
had Wyomings, wanted to like them, but seemed like they had water soaking through very quickly/easily. Switched to Hanwag Makras and am in love. Flat arches, somewhat wide foot.
Good luck.

My Crispis took less than a mile to break in. Remind me of fine Italian Motocross boots in that at first there are a few hot spots that then disappear almost immediately. Then they magically transform into bulletproof comfortable awesomeness.

Just got done trying some on. I was really surprised at how different each boot felt.

Thor: interesting boot, not for me. Very little ankle structure and they didn’t feel right through the instep, a little sloppy.

Summit: nice boot, felt pretty good. Lower heel drop, would make a really nice light hiker.

Colorado: fit like a glove. Nice flex, good ankle support/protection and fit really nice through the instep. Heel drop felt really natural.

They didn’t have the Nevada in stock, but a customer service rep from Crispi told me the fit would be about identical to the Colorado. Now the dilemma is leather for durability or synthetic for lighter weight.

I won’t buy another crispi with synthetic. The Dakota I had (best boot I ever wore) got a puncture through the synthetic part and they sent me some knock off replacements. I know they were knock offs because it said right inside the boot, “made in Indonesia” or some place. I don’t care where they’re made, but they fit a little too large throughout the upper and there was no way to stop slippage and blistering. I wore them on one hike and crispi said they wouldn’t do anything about it since I wore them.
I also have the wild rocks for late season. They’re comfortable but lack the nice stiff ankle support of the Nevada’s or dakotas. I also have the Valdrez. Not really impressed with them. A cheaper boot for sure.
The Nevada’s are good. I’m hoping the all leather will hold up for a long time and not puncture so easily. When the wild rocks are caput I will replace them with insulated Nevada’s if I haven’t found something else I like better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back