Crispi, Hoffman, Schnee’s Boots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Well, I hunt in cactus a lot, , I guess I’ve never had an issue but if you were crawling and somehow got it in the synthetic I think it would easily poke right through. Then they wouldn’t be waterproof anymore. But I’ve probably been poked enough that I pay good attention without really thinking about it.

If you are still open to trying different brands, run over to Black Sheep in CDA and try the Hoffman Explorers.
Made by Armond of Italy.

Mine are in there second year, I bought them for 3 seasons but ran them all winter. I now where them every day.

Looks like the local Sportsman’s has the Thor, Nevada, and Colorado in stock. I didn’t realize they were a dealer. I’ll go try these three on for sure. They have the Briksdal, but it’s the stiff flex version.
I have the Stiff Flex, love them so far. I really wouldn’t say they are that stiff, Lowa Tibet is a stiffer boot than the Briksdal. They are stiffer than some boots, but no where near like a mountaineering boot. Maybe slightly stiffer than a Kenetrek Mountain Extreme.

If you are still open to trying different brands, run over to Black Sheep in CDA and try the Hoffman Explorers.
Made by Armond of Italy.

Mine are in there second year, I bought them for 3 seasons but ran them all winter. I now where them every day.
Thanks for the reminder. I'll call and see if they have my size. How would you describe the fit? wide? Average? Narrow?

Just got done trying some on. I was really surprised at how different each boot felt.

Thor: interesting boot, not for me. Very little ankle structure and they didn’t feel right through the instep, a little sloppy.

Summit: nice boot, felt pretty good. Lower heel drop, would make a really nice light hiker.

Colorado: fit like a glove. Nice flex, good ankle support/protection and fit really nice through the instep. Heel drop felt really natural.

They didn’t have the Nevada in stock, but a customer service rep from Crispi told me the fit would be about identical to the Colorado. Now the dilemma is leather for durability or synthetic for lighter weight.
Great example of how important it is to try on several models and brands of boots prior to purchase. I've purchased boots after trying on one pair that felt decent, but regretted it after trying on some others for the heck of it. Some boots fit bad, ok, good and great. I've bought several pairs of Ok and good. It took awhile to find the great fitting boots.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll call and see if they have my size. How would you describe the fit? wide? Average? Narrow?
Sportsman’s Warehouse carries the Hoffman’s too, or at least they did in Bozeman. I tried some on and they seemed like very nice boots. Average width.

I run wide. Their wides were the best for me. I’ve not tried their regulars.

Black sheep had a really good selection a couple weeks ago

If you use an after market insole. Take it with you before you try them on.

I run wide. Their wides were the best for me. I’ve not tried their regulars.

Black sheep had a really good selection a couple weeks ago

If you use an after market insole. Take it with you before you try them on.

This is good to know. I have been wanting to try out Hoffman, but I was thinking they were only available online or in in Kellogg. Tough to make it over to Kellogg during the week due to work. I only live a few minutes from Black Sheep.

I replaced my Lowa Renegades last summer with another identical pair and they just aren't the same so need to try something else.

This is good to know. I have been wanting to try out Hoffman, but I was thinking they were only available online or in in Kellogg. Tough to make it over to Kellogg during the week due to work. I only live a few minutes from Black Sheep.

I replaced my Lowa Renegades last summer with another identical pair and they just aren't the same so need to try something else.
I got mine in Kellogg. Their service is wonderful.
They were the end of a long search for me.

Update. I tried on the Nevada last night. I disagree with the Crispi rep who told me the fit is identical between the Colorado and Nevada. Close, but I’d argue the toe box definitely felt wider in the Nevada. Nice boot

I ordered a pair of Hoffman Explorer Lights last night. We’ll see how they fit, but after a lot of reading I’m leaning strongly in that direction for durability and longevity.

As an aside, I still haven’t heard a peep from Zamberlan. Weirdest customer service experience ever. My CC sent me a letter with the refund, and no dispute this far.

And, why limit your options? @MTLabrador was kind enough to confuse the issue with a sale flyer from Schnee’s. So, I installed a bathroom sink for my wife. While showing it to her, I casually dropped the sale info and the fact I was going to order a pair of Divides and return whichever pair I didn’t like. “Sound great” was lost somewhere in her excitement over the new sink.

I’ll update this with thoughts on these two boots when I get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I installed a bathroom sink for my wife. While showing it to her, I casually dropped the sale info and the fact I was going to order a pair of Divides and return whichever pair she didn’t like. “Sound great” was lost somewhere in her excitement over the new sink.
Well played, amigo. I endorse this strategy and have found it very effective over the past 14 years of marriage.

And, why limit your options? @MTLabrador was kind enough to confuse the issue with a sale flyer from Schnee’s. So, I installed a bathroom sink for my wife. While showing it to her, I casually dropped the sale info and the fact I was going to order a pair of Divides and return whichever pair she didn’t like. “Sound great” was lost somewhere in her excitement over the new sink.

I’ll update this with thoughts on these two boots when I get them.
I’m taking notes on that one.

Well played, amigo. I endorse this strategy and have found it very effective over the past 14 years of marriage.
Funny story, my wife was chukar hunting with me one wet and snowy day. I forgot my gaiters, and my boots ended up pretty saturated. My wife piped up on the drive to the rental cabin "you should get two pairs of boots so if these get wet and you're sleeping in the truck you'll have dry ones". :eek:

She's a pretty tough sell on extra guns, but I didn't even suggest extra boots LOL.

+1 for the thors. Two busy seasons on mine with minimal wear and tear showing. Easy break-in, very light, very comfortable. Didn't care for the factory insoles. Swapped for a custom pair. They're like a souped up hiking boot. Only downside for me is a slight lack of ankle support on a steep grade with a heavy pack. That's the nature of a 6 inch boot though. Oh, and I'm just waiting for the third from the top, lace like loop to break, but hasn't yet.
I also like the Crispi Thor...I have an older model with several years of daily hiking on them.
My feet are size 14, very narrow...the fit is excellent for my feet.

I like the Thor in extreme light weight and stiff sole.
Very comfortable right out of the box.
The only con is they are not warm, so great for active hiking,
not the boot for sitting and glassing in cold conditions.

Funny story, my wife was chukar hunting with me one wet and snowy day. I forgot my gaiters, and my boots ended up pretty saturated. My wife piped up on the drive to the rental cabin "you should get two pairs of boots so if these get wet and you're sleeping in the truck you'll have dry ones". :eek:

She's a pretty tough sell on extra guns, but I didn't even suggest extra boots LOL.
That’s hilarious. A few months back, after she purchased some new Frye boots, I was lamenting to her, in a very sad tone, about how a buddy of mine wanted to go to Montana to hunt bears in the spring and asked me to go, but I told him I couldn’t go. And my wife goes: “why can’t you go?” So I set the hook and starting reeling her in...

That’s hilarious. A few months back, after she purchased some new Frye boots, I was lamenting to her, in a very sad tone, about how a buddy of mine wanted to go to Montana to hunt bears in the spring and asked me to go, but I told him I couldn’t go. And my wife goes: “why can’t you go?” So I set the hook and starting reeling her in...
Ya keep telling yourself that. After over thirty years of marriage, trust me when I tell you this......she is reeling you in :)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back