Caribou Gear Tarp

Help choosing which state for elk & mule deer.

std7mag

So my wife finally said " go out west and hunt".
Even knowing there's a better than 50/50 chance i may not come back to Pennsylvania. :oops:

So i put it up to 2 friends & they said they are in too.
But one wants to hunt mule deer instead of elk.
Two of us would kinda like to get both tags.

So, having zero points, which state would you go after?
Colorado, or Wyoming?
Or another option?

Thanks!

Go to Colorado this year. Buy a point in Wyoming for the future. Your experience hunting the west depends largely on how many points you have. Your Trip to an OTC or Leftover unit will be sharing beautiful scenery and gaining experience with a bunch of other folks. Elk are there but tough to kill or even see If you don't know where to look.

Building 2 to 5 points can make a pretty big difference in animal interaction. Above that it just gets better. That being said, learn to kill em in an OTC unit and It's like a kid in a candy store in a Limited unit. Good Luck!

Yep, too late for any draws this year. But you can still collect a point in a few states for next year.

The other advice is spot on. Just go OTC in Colorado this year for elk. Do not expect to kill anything.

Next year, start putting in for hunts in any state you'd like to hunt. Know their system so you aren't applying for statistically impossible tags. Add in random draw states to up your chances.

Try for tags in a few states next year. Go OTC again if you miss out. Work towards enough points to get into some easier Colorado units and Wyoming general tags. Don't forget other states, as they all offer something depending on your interests, patience etc.

Also for deer you'll have to wait through a similar process. The only OTC mule deer hunts I know of are archery in a few states. But there are mule deer tags you can draw even with no points in a few places...

Edit: Forgot to add. If you just want to go west, don't get hung up on JUST bucks and bulls. Antlerless tags, bears, whitetails, small game, fishing, coyotes, hiking around taking photographs. All these things are avenues to being out west.

Don't put in for pronghorn though because hunting them SUCKS, trust me. Just stay out of that altogether

I'd rather wait & plan for next year, than try to just throw something together on the quick this year. Plus lets us save up more funds.

We are definitely open to other states, if it allows the opportunity to all draw tags.
Idaho, Montana & others are open to us.

Though the odds of me coming back to PA. may improve. :D

IF I were wanting to go with a deer tag and an elk tag in my pocket and was rifle hunting I would probably look at Colorado for the near future.

I am not all that far along from where you are, except that I started building points 6 years ago and went on my first western hunt last year.

My advice is to buy points this year in all the States you are interested in hunting in the future and where you still have the option open to buy points for next season. If you wanted to go on a hunt this year , Colorado OTC elk, that would get you some experience under your belt before you draw a harder to get tag.

No substitute for experience.

What about utah? I dont know anything about it so throwing it out for answer, but heard there are some generals or spike tags??? Any worst than CO?

There are so many good cow tags in WY a NR could hunt every year. I’d rather hunt those and have a quality experience than go a CO OTC type route. Lots of people won’t lift a finger if they can’t shoot antlers though.

I hunted MD, WV, PA for 35 years.
Took many deer over the years.
Last season is first i've taken one with antlers. (And a small rack at that).
But it all looks the same in freezer wrap.
I'm a meat hunter, not a trophy hunter.

Meaning i'm good with a cow tag.

I hunted MD, WV, PA for 35 years.
Took many deer over the years.
Last season is first i've taken one with antlers. (And a small rack at that).
But it all looks the same in freezer wrap.
I'm a meat hunter, not a trophy hunter.

Meaning i'm good with a cow tag.
Those last seven words just opened up a world of hunting for you, man. I'm looking forward to following along as you get into it.

Next step is looking at all the different states and areas within those states to start narrowing down your search. There are many smart people on here to help you with specific questions

Ok, after some discussion amongst the 3 of us, things have kinda changed.
Now looking for best chance on mule deer tags with possible cow elk tags also.

Not sure if this should be moved to the deer section or not.

CO. There are some hunt codes with deer and elk in the same unit at the same time. it might take a point or two to get a 100% chance at a mule deer tag and elk tag in the same unit snd season though. Spend some time looking over their draw results and regs. I bet you can get some mule deer tags in a unit with OTC or 0pt cow tags.

Finding this thread helpful. Me and a buddy are planning on building up some points to go somewhere in 3 years due to the fact that he will be done playing college football by then and both of us will have time to go out west. Just wondering on where anybody would recommend to go for mulies. Obviously our expectations are to go somewhere and have a good experience and see good numbers and have a good chance at both shooting a buck. Don’t expect anything huge and would both be happy with s 130 inch buck. Looked into possibly going to SE Montana but some people on this say how that areas ruined and there isn’t deer and others say there are plenty of deer but just not trophy class. Any info and help is appreciated

Back