Hello

HuntsByDesign

Hello,

I’ve been a "lurker" on this site since I started planning for my family’s first hunt out west which we completed last fall in the form of an antelope hunt in NE Wyoming. I found the site after first finding OYOA on Carbon TV. I proceeded to watch every episode and still wanted more information which led me to Fresh Tracks and then to Hunt Talk. Next thing my Dad knew I was planning a hunt for us and dragging him and my brother to Wyoming.

I grew up hunting the timbered draws of Iowa for whitetails. Being from Iowa I’m used to hunting with a shotgun or a bow, but a rifle still feels fairly foreign to me. Hunting is a family tradition and I’m pretty sure I’d be disowned for missing Second Shotgun Season. We hunt the limited public ground we have here in Iowa and we’ve managed to be fairly successful. I don’t know why anybody would pay Iowa prices to hunt whitetails, but if anybody is planning a DIY in Iowa I’d be happy to offer some advice and strategies we’ve used. I also used to work for a sporting goods vendor here in town, selling hunting and fishing licenses, so if anybody needs help with Iowa games laws or seasons I can help out there as well (As I’m sure some of the other Iowan members can).

I’m an engineer by trade and as such I love the number games involved with drawing tags (although I haven’t been too successful in my first year). I’ve spent too many hours staring at maps of Wyoming and calculating various draw odds and success rates for elk, antelope and deer.

We’re planning another antelope/deer hunt in Wyoming this year but we don’t expect to draw with only one preference point. Our back up plan is to either be quick with the leftovers or simply go back to the unit/area we hunted last year.

Attachments

• 100_1265.jpg
    100_1265.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 221
Welcome to the site. Like you I'm heading to WY this fall for a hunting trip. I also enjoy analysing the draw odds, and now that I have put in my tag application miss the research lol

Welcome and good luck this fall. You are right about the let down after you apply. Its kinda like, so now what do I do with all my free time. Male sure you post pics of your hunt.

Welcome from a fellow Iowan. I was in pretty much the same boat as you a few years ago. I have learned a TON from the guys here and have actually gotten to hunt and fish with a few guys from the site, and can say I have made some truly good friends. I still love my Iowa whitetails, but once I experienced more western hunts it made me look at things differently and appreciate different things. I know I will never complain about the hike to and from the truck again around home, as it all seems like a walk in the park now! What part of Iowa you in?

I'm originally from North-Central Iowa but I'm now located in the Des Moines area. I know what you mean Muskeez, it's easy to feel like a mile walk is a long ways when we have our 1 mile X 1 mile grid system.

Welcome aboard and thanks for giving us an intro. Good luck on you upcoming trip to Wyoming.

Welcome to the forum. Im also from Iowa. I live in the Waterloo Cedarfalls area but spend alot of time hunting and fishing in north east Iowa around the Lansing area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back