Heavier Stove options for Tipi tent when not packing in.

Badger_55

Just curious of what options I could look for in a wood stove for my 8 man Tipi. I have a titanium packable stove for trips in, but last year I almost loaded up the horse and went back out towards the end of MT elk season. With me being solo and a quick decision I was planning on just pitching my Tipi up for a basecamp, I would of done it with the titianium but I know I would of been up a lot stoking that thing. Anyways what are your guys thoughts on a stove that could keep the heat rolling longer in a tipi from a basecamp set up?
Thank you

I know a guy that has a wall tent he camps in the winter and hunts out of it he wanted a bigger stove he went and bought one the smaller ones used normally in a house from a farm and ranch store and only camps right beside his truck since its heavy but holds more wood and he keeps it pretty nice in there then he just adjusts the flu to make it burn longer once he has it warmed up or leaves

I run cylinder stoves out of Utah. Do a great job, run them red hot on those nights it can’t decide if it’s raining or snowing. One is about 15 years old the other about 12. No cracking warping or significant rust issues. They work about three weeks a year is all.

I too run a cylinder stove in my tipi. I’ve been happy with it. It’s well made, simple and does the job.

I don’t have a picture of it but I use a homemade stove in my 6 man when camping by the truck. It’s nice having a stove that’ll hold a fire most of the night

Any thoughts on thr uncompahgre collapsible from colorado cyl stoves?

I don’t have a picture of it but I use a homemade stove in my 6 man when camping by the truck. It’s nice having a stove that’ll hold a fire most of the night
Yeah thats what im looking for.. i have an extra boot i can use to fit a bigger pipe.
A buddy told me to use a propane furnace since i will be at the truck but idk...

unless you have a continuous fuel source, pellets, heating oil, propane etc. a wood stove will only go so far.....remember the stove is just to warm you up in the am and make it comfy to get to bed. your sleeping bag, liner, pad, etc are way more crucial tools.

unless you have a continuous fuel source, pellets, heating oil, propane etc. a wood stove will only go so far.....remember the stove is just to warm you up in the am and make it comfy to get to bed. your sleeping bag, liner, pad, etc are way more crucial tools.
Yeah i agree... i plan to have the gear to sleep in if i could come upon a stove that i could stoke once at night and wake up to warmth it would be a trip extender.

I run wall tents, the cylinder stove will run you out pretty quick if you let it. It will get more then warm enough to dry wet gear, boots etc hung from the ridge pole. That being said, it’ll cool down in the tent once you damp it down. Burning Tamarac or Red fir it’ll hold enough coals all night to make a morning fire simple and quick.

Attachments

• 1BD3F9B7-C802-4CAF-A086-CC765B5552A3.jpeg
    1BD3F9B7-C802-4CAF-A086-CC765B5552A3.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 8B923736-A4FC-4B3F-8D6E-07A9E4D486F8.jpeg
    8B923736-A4FC-4B3F-8D6E-07A9E4D486F8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 22CA25FD-4DAF-4C22-9416-ADD2F9D48256.jpeg
    22CA25FD-4DAF-4C22-9416-ADD2F9D48256.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
I don't get it? trip extender cause you want to sleep like you are in a hotel room? it would be nice to wake up with a roaring fire and not have to wake up 5 times to be there, but that just isn't possible when trying to achieve back country living. Trust me, I love wall tents and the stove concept myself. If its at the truck/trailhead, just get a camper or trailer. Snow, wind and critters and the manual set up becomes a task and takes away from the hunting in my opinion.

I
I don't get it? trip extender cause you want to sleep like you are in a hotel room? it would be nice to wake up with a roaring fire and not have to wake up 5 times to be there, but that just isn't possible when trying to achieve back country living. Trust me, I love wall tents and the stove concept myself. If its at the truck/trailhead, just get a camper or trailer. Snow, wind and critters and the manual set up becomes a task and takes away from the hunting in my opinion.
I understand and agree.. i really enjoy my light stove.. im just looking for options to use what i have vs buying a camper. I like sleeping in the tent... i do have the front quarters of my stock trailer spray foamed n can stay heated n cozy in there but would like the room of my tipi too.

I second the Cylinder Stoves. They're bullet proof. Just make sure you install a stove pipe damper so that you can fine tune the burn. You'll only need to get up and stock it once during the night but no big cause you probably woke to go take a leak anyway. You can see Salmonchaser hasn't installed a damper. That's key to regulating the burn. The front draft holes cant do it alone. Nice setup SC by the way. That's how its done guys.

Last edited:
Another vote for cylinder stoves. We run the big one in a 16x20 Davis (actually a bit bigger :) ) and it is the real deal. Another thing to consider is getting a couple of bags of lump coal. Put a couple of big lumps in at bed time if needed or it is really balls cold, damper it down at lights out and there are coals to go in the morning ;) I will ALWAYS say that if you can do wood(or coal for that matter) it is the way. Dry, radiant heat is awesome. As mentioned above though, I am also a "let it cool down" at night guy......I sleep better with it chilly outside and me snuggled in my bag.

Attachments

• 20181018_140710.jpg
    20181018_140710.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
I’ve done the camper, trailer, motor home, 3 season tent, back of the truck thing at the trailhead a lot throughout of my life. Hunting parties and solo. I am sorry I didn’t buy a damn wall tent 20 years sooner! I use a Davis Wall tent with their cylinder stove now. It has a coal grate and takes little tending in the middle of the night. There are a bunch of good cylinder stoves out there but I suggest you get one that handles stove coal.

Back