Heartworms in Dogs in Montana

Mr. Fishunt

I have read conflicting viewpoints on whether to treat dogs for heartworms in Montana.

Please provide your opinion, educated or otherwise, on whether we should provide preventative treatment for our 9 year old, healthy, dog in Helena, MT.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Heart worms have been found in every state. If there are mosquitoes, there are probably heart worms. There is a much higher prevalence in warmer south eastern states, but as mtmiller said, it’s pretty cheap insurance. I used to be a Vet Tech...

There is a well documented focus of heartworm around Billings, though not large numbers of cases per year. But it is so widespread across the country, if you travel at all with your dog, why not get it just to be on the safe side?

What are you using that only costs $40? I use Heartguard and it is over $100 for a 1-year supply where I live.

What are you using that only costs $40? I use Heartguard and it is over $100 for a 1-year supply where I live.
I only go with 6 month for around here. Not much of a mosquito issue this time of year. haaha... And what my vet recommends.

Through the vet it runs $68, but I can get the same stuff on line for $40. I do need to have vet certify the prescription, but it should be pretty easy. My first year going this route.

EDIT - HeartGuard as well

I only go with 6 month for around here. Not much of a mosquito issue this time of year. haaha... And what my vet recommends.

Through the vet it runs $68, but I can get the same stuff on line for $40. I do need to have vet certify the prescription, but it should be pretty easy. My first year going this route.

EDIT - HeartGuard as well

Thanks. I've often wondered how hard it is to get a vet to certify the prescription when they know you are going to buy from someone else.

Sentinel for our pup, we ran 6 months of the year up in Bozeman but do year round now in Denver as it warms up a bit...that and we do random trips

If you have never done heart worm treatments. The first time you need to go in and have blood drawn to make sure they don't have heart worms. When you kill the worms off they will flood the heart and kill your dog. After the blood test then you can treat your dog and you should stay on the treatment year round.
If you love your dog you till treat them for ticks, round worms, heart worms and so forth.
For what a good dog costs now a days it's very cheap insurance for your dog and you, too.
My advice take your dog to the vet and get it checked out then go from there.

My better half happens to be a veterinarian and we use Sentinel plus for a heart worm preventative on our two pooches. Her reasoning for this is because it treats for I believe four other types of worms other than heart worm so you get more bang for your buck.

It’s not too cheap though at $12 a pill her cost.

Just an update for you. I ordered the product on-line and that company sent prescription request to my vet. My vet let me know they received the request and gave me a signed copy for the prescription. I mailed it off and shipping was confirmed today. $37.99 + the price of a stamp --- to my door. I believe the vet could have just faxed in the document, but they already did me a solid, so didn't mind buying a stamp and waiting an extra couple days. If I went through my vet, the cost would have been $68....difference of 6 pints of stout with 25% tip. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back