Hearing Loss

NICE! I'm going to start the process of getting rifles setup for suppressors this spring. I'm about 5 days into buying a house and burned up a lot of savings so I have to behave until we close as to no get dinged on a credit report.

Luckily this last season 100% of my shots were with ear protection however I've noticed an increase in my tinnitus and it's probably time to go an Otolaryngologists (ENT doctor) to have things checked

Last edited:
I'm going to start the process of getting rifles setup for suppressors this spring. I'm about 5 days into buying a house and burned up a lot of savings so I have to behave until we close as to no get dinged on a credit report.

Luckily this last season 100% of my shots were with ear protection however I've noticed an increase in my tinnitus and it's probably time to go an Otolaryngologists (ENT doctor) to have things checked
The shots that get me worse than anything is with a partner, watching the animal through the glass as they shoot. You're well behind the muzzle obviously, but off to the side, hands on binos; hard to do what needs done while getting ear pro in.

The shots that get me worse than anything is with a partner, watching the animal through the glass as they shoot. You're well behind the muzzle obviously, but off to the side, hands on binos; hard to do what needs done while getting ear pro in.
Definitely. I've started carrying little packets of ear plugs in all of my packs and my truck just for those situations. It may be time to upgrade multiple pairs electronic muffs or earbuds to help with communications too.

My Christmas list this year included electronic ear muffs. I've used them several times already and am incredibly happy. The ability to hear things going on around you while not needing to wrangle ear protection when something appears has been a game-changer.
What muffs do you have, I just started wearing hearing aids so need to go to muffs.
Thanks
wmd

I work in a very loud environment on boats, often for a couple months straight. I wear ear plugs 24/7, and muffs too when i go into the engine room. My coworkers flip me shit for it, but theyre all losing their hearing. When i ride my quad, earplugs. Weedeating etc plugs and muffs. Target shooting, always wear earplugs.
But... not when im hunting. Need to hear. Occasionally i get a chance to put plugs in but usually not. The worst is bear hunting. I cold call for close range shots. Things tend to happen real quick and i shoot without ear protection. And my current gun of choice is a short barrelled .444 with a brake. Its loud as hell. Really rings your bell. Tried to get a guy to make a custom suppressor for it but he was busy catching up to his orders and kind of blew it off, and now its not in the budget for the time being, so probably be a couple years before i actually get it at this point.
Im curious about the electronic earplugs that people say allow you to still hear. Do they really work? No way do i want to be cold calling predators if i cant hear small noises. Muffs are a no go for me shooting rifles, i cant get my face on the stock right when wearing muffs. Has to be plugs.

Did my time behind a duece,next to a shaper,router,skilsaw,chainsaw,shooting on occation,away from others. Ear plugs surfing,but I still have surfers ear now.
I always had at least tp in my ears,if ever possible. Plugs & muffs.
Have decent hearing still,some low level low wave tinnitus.Buzzing in dead quiet sometimes,like right now.
Suprised some of the concerts I went to didn't make me deaf.
Can still see with my ears hunting ,somewhat. Can hoofs,mews,twigs& bugles still.

Just about to order some new Peltier folding ear covers. No electronics. Low enough profile for range use.

Been around my trucks & heavy equipment for over 40 years, probably wore ear plugs for 38 of them. Hearing loss was not avoided and the constant ringing. I don't hunt the bugle seasons so as long as my eyes are good. Wear eye protection!😎

I work in a very loud environment on boats, often for a couple months straight. I wear ear plugs 24/7, and muffs too when i go into the engine room. My coworkers flip me shit for it, but theyre all losing their hearing. When i ride my quad, earplugs. Weedeating etc plugs and muffs. Target shooting, always wear earplugs.
But... not when im hunting. Need to hear. Occasionally i get a chance to put plugs in but usually not. The worst is bear hunting. I cold call for close range shots. Things tend to happen real quick and i shoot without ear protection. And my current gun of choice is a short barrelled .444 with a brake. Its loud as hell. Really rings your bell. Tried to get a guy to make a custom suppressor for it but he was busy catching up to his orders and kind of blew it off, and now its not in the budget for the time being, so probably be a couple years before i actually get it at this point.
Im curious about the electronic earplugs that people say allow you to still hear. Do they really work? No way do i want to be cold calling predators if i cant hear small noises. Muffs are a no go for me shooting rifles, i cant get my face on the stock right when wearing muffs. Has to be plugs.
I have a company from Montana build my brakes, they are machined so the percussion is funneled away. I initially did it for my wife, figured Id lower both factors.

I have a company from Montana build my brakes, they are machined so the percussion is funneled away. I initially did it for my wife, figured Id lower both factors.
Same, I had my brakes custom made and they funnel forward. Huge difference for me but not so much for bystanders. A long career around large Diesel engines damaged my hearing long ago. My hearing aid shuts out rifle report like an ear plug.

Last edited:
Same, I had my brakes custom made and they funnel forward. Huge difference for me but not so much for bystanders. A long career around large Diesel engines damaged my hearing long ago. My hearing aid shuts out rifle report like an ear plug.
Ditto on the Diesel, along with clanking tracks. What type of hearing aid if you don't mind me asking.

Definitely. I've started carrying little packets of ear plugs in all of my packs and my truck just for those situations. It may be time to upgrade multiple pairs electronic muffs or earbuds to help with communications too.
I keep a pair of ear plugs in a pocket on my bino harness.

Ditto on the Diesel, along with clanking tracks. What type of hearing aid if you don't mind me asking.
My audiologist asked that yesterday when I scheduled an appointment for my other ear and possible update. Currently a PHONAK Q7 in the ear. At the time a reasonable 3k. No longer available I think...
I have had it for 7 years. Now need both.

Last edited:
NICE! I'm going to start the process of getting rifles setup for suppressors this spring. I'm about 5 days into buying a house and burned up a lot of savings so I have to behave until we close as to no get dinged on a credit report.

Plan on about 10 minutes to buy one if in stock (same as a gun). Then plan 4 to 6 months wait on your $200 Tax Stamp to be approved. That’s what I was told but just got my stamp and only waited 3 months...

Back