Caribou Gear

Heads up AK hunters

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect some of you AK guys have attended the open houses held by the USFWS to change the subsistence and non-subsistence management policies on how hunting will be prioritized (lowered) as it relates to National Wildlife Refuges in Alaska, a large part of areas we hunt in AK are under NWR system.

These are two recently published announcements in the Federal Register than have just been brought to my attention. The idea is to hold open houses to discuss a more "hands off" management approach. In doing so, the USFWS would be usurping the State of Alaska interest in managing wildlife within state borders to a huge degree.

Whether you agree or disagree with the specifics outlined in the details provided herein, this effort by the USFWS is a serious hit to state management authority, something the courts have always protected and awarded to the states under the 10th Amendment. Yes, there are instances where the USFWS has closed properties to hunting, such as waterfowl nesting/resting areas. These have been rather isolated instances and not focused specifically as a way to negate state-based management efforts as this does.

As you read the preface, you will see that a lot of this is pointed toward offsetting the more aggressive stance that Alaska has taken to liberalize the take of wolves, wolverines, black bear, and grizzly bears. I don't live in AK, so I really don't bother myself with their season settings and law on allowed take. That is their decision to make. But, when a Federal agency thinks they have the purview to overrule state-based wildlife management, I do get involved.

For the USFWS to engage itself in this state management authority to this degree, in such a pointed manner, spells bad news for the states. Whether you agree with Alaska's increased efforts at predators, or not, this affects you.

Notice in the Federal register here:
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-01-08/pdf/2016-00021.pdf

Substance of proposed changers here (note, page 887 is in both of these files):
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-01-08/pdf/2016-00022.pdf

If you want to provide electronic comment, please do so here.

Go to this link - http://www.regulations.gov/

In the search box, copy and past - FWS–R7–NWRS–2014–0005

In some browsers, this link will take you there directly - http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FWS-R7-NWRS-2014-0005-0001

I hope you will comment. This is a very important issue for retaining state rights in wildlife management. Whoever is influencing the Department of Interior and decided this was the way to carry out some politically motivated agenda needs to be ratted out. Damn Idgits! So tired of this crap.

Please share far and wide. Feel free to copy and paste, or direct to this link. The deadline for comment is March 8th.

It seems that the USFWS is trying to push through management plans based on feeling rather than science. They claim that the refuges must be managed for the prosperity of all species. Explain to me how hamstringing a state's authority to regulate keystone predators benefits the ungulate population?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I listened to a podcast with Cam Hanes and he stated that the bear population(both black and grizzly) were so great in the area he was hunting that it was legal to take two grizzly and three black bears per year. He also stated that moose were decimated in the area as a result.

I hope that Alaska residents will make their voices heard and that the proposed changes are not accepted.

There are plenty of residents speaking up about this as well as many in complete disgust over the war on predators.

The state thumbing their nose at the feds over predator management and not willing to compromise is the reason for this mess.

On one hand the state is required to manage for maximum sustainable yield, on the other they IMO are inflating ungulate above what is sustainable.

I'm not a fan of baiting brownbears, or snarling bears, bit if that's what it takes have at it.

The bear numbers Cam speaks of are similar to the elk "management" numbers in MT. The bears are over populated for the inflated moose objectives.

Thanks Randy.
I think USFWS has been co-opted by the same mindset as NPS. Not good.

I'll pass this info on to my muledeer hunting bud who just told me they are moving to Homer and I should go up and visit.Solo again muley hunting now.
Was just talking about possible hunts & fishing on the Kenai. Only been as far as lower BC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back