PEAX Equipment

Threating a Waterfowl Production Area with an Office Complex

SilentBirdHunter

The Fish and Wildlife Service staff was displaced from the Bison Range when the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
reclaimed the refuge in 2020. Since then, FWS employees have been stationed on leased tribal land.
The current proposal is to develop the Montgomery Waterfowl Production Area with a $12 million office complex.
You can read the Environmental Assessment here.
And a local newspaper article here.

Public comments should be email at: [email protected]
DEADLINE: WEDS APRIL 3, 2024

My public comments were as follows:
have studied the document,
New Northwest Montana Wetland Management District Administrative Facilities
Environmental Assessment Supplement January 2024

I have the following comments:

1) To replace land dedicated to the mission of the USFWS
" to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats"
with an office complex, should entail at least one public meeting in
either Charlo, Ronan, Polson or St. Ignatius. Preferable would be
2 public meetings, one at St. Ignatius, one at Polson.

2) The EA considered only Waterfowl Production Areas as alternative sites.
There are other lands owned by the US Fish and Wildlife Service that have
not been considered. For example, there are several parcels near the
Pablo National Wildlife Refuge that would be a better alternative in terms
of public access, lower construction costs due to coarser textured soils.

The Montana Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
opposes this office complex development at any Waterfowl Production Area.

They state "Surely there can be an appropriate building site identified that isn’t in a WPA, lands acquired with Federal Duck Stamp dollars “to conserve some of the most threatened and productive migratory bird habitat in the nation,” according to the USFWS’s website."

"We remain convinced that either the acquisition of property not currently owned by the USFWS or utilizing USFWS lands that are already developed would be the best choices of action for both the resource and hunting opportunities, and we therefore oppose the Proposed Action."

Their letter is linked here.

What’s with the USfws and building complexes?

The Usfws is proposing an estimated $10.5 million complex for 4 full time employees, 2 of which work from home, on the Upper Mississippi Fish and Wildlife Refuge for the Mcgregor district. It’s been to bid once and the low bid came back at $33 million. It’s out to bud again now.

Over the past 10 years or so, several Federal Agencies have built new office complexes not far from where I live. Each was ridiculously excessive in terms of size and design.

What’s with the USfws and building complexes?

The Usfws is proposing an estimated $10.5 million complex for 4 full time employees, 2 of which work from home, on the Upper Mississippi Fish and Wildlife Refuge for the Mcgregor district. It’s been to bid once and the low bid came back at $33 million. It’s out to bud again now.
Ill hold judgement but how is that even possible?

How is what possible? Sorry I’m not trying to be snarky. Just making sure I understand your question properly.
Nevermind I glanced. I thought it was just an office, clicked the link. Saw that it us also a visitor center etc.

I think the USFWS had an office complex and visitor center when they were managing the Bison Range, but that changed when the management changed to tribal management.

Yes, their office, visitor center, and maintenance shops were at the bison range until the tribe took over.
My other question would be what work are these employees even doing now?
The article says “2 biologists, 2 maintenance workers, and a part-time employee”. Prior to the tribe taking over, these people’s jobs were managing and maintaining the bison range. So now that they’re not doing that, what work are they even doing?

Yes, their office, visitor center, and maintenance shops were at the bison range until the tribe took over.
The article says “2 biologists, 2 maintenance workers, and a part-time employee”. Prior to the tribe taking over, these people’s jobs were managing and maintaining the bison range. So now that they’re not doing that, what work are they even doing?
Gubberment work bud

There are 4 other refuges, over a dozen WPAs and two conservation areas with conservation easements to be administered. The Bison Range was just the most visible piece of a larger refuge complex.

That said, I’m not sure putting new facilities on a WPA is the best nor most fiscally responsible option.

I assume bird surveys, banding, etc. and habitat work such as prescribed burns, managing water levels, etc. for the biologists.

I assume mostly road and fence maintenance for the maintenance workers and part-time employees.

I assume they are responsible for co-managing with the tribe Ninepipes National Wildlife Refuge, Pablo National Wildlife Refuge,
and the nearby Waterfowl Production Areas (Montgomery, Sandsmark, Herak, Anderson, Crow, Kickinghorse, Duck Haven, etc.)

my biggest issue with the proposal of new facilities is the $2 Billion deferred maintenance budget that the USFWs has on its existing infrastructure. As a kid every time I’d ask for a new bike or a toy or whatever I’d get the old line, “If you can’t take care of what you already have, why do you deserve a new one?”

my biggest issue with the proposal of new facilities is the $2 Billion deferred maintenance budget that the USFWs has on its existing infrastructure. As a kid every time I’d ask for a new bike or a toy or whatever I’d get the old line, “If you can’t take care of what you already have, why do you deserve a new one?”

Most of these kinds of projects are part of eliminating that deferred maintenance backlog. If you defer maintenance for a long enough period of time, you end up replacing rather than repairing. In this specific instance other issues are at play, but in reality Congress appropriated the funding, and the agencies have to spend it.

Most of these kinds of projects are part of eliminating that deferred maintenance backlog. If you defer maintenance for a long enough period of time, you end up replacing rather than repairing. In this specific instance other issues are at play, but in reality Congress appropriated the funding, and the agencies have to spend it.
That is my point exactly. They chose to not take care of what they had and now want something brand new to do the same with again.

That is my point exactly. They chose to not take care of what they had and now want something brand new to do the same with again.

Congress failed to take care, not the agency. Congress appropriates the money. Not the agency. If the agency goes outside the bounds of it's budget it is breaking the law and will be sued and have even more funding taken away.

We all love the F35 fighter right up until we realize nobody has a nice shitter at the WPA anymore.

The agency could save money with a more acceptable solution. For example, instead of developing a Waterfowl Production Area with silty clay wetland soils, work with either the tribe or state to deveop on coarse textured soils near Pablo Reservoir.
Instead of hauling over 40 miles round trip to the WPA develop near Pablo Reservoir. There is a concrete supplier and 2 gravel suppliers right there and public access would be better being near the major highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back